Essendon 2021

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Wait.

So going to the draft to replenish young talls. To replace the aging talls. Is now the wrong thing. Because we should have gone to the draft. To replace Fantasia and Saad?

fu** me you Carlton supporters are morons.
Typical bogan reaction when you don't understand something, call someone a moron.

Typical bogan reaction when you don't understand something, call someone a moron.
He may not be wrong though

Yet the bloke who has been in charge of recruiting is still there after 20 years.

Seems the general consensus from your supporters is to defend Dodo against any criticism when all evidence shows he is the main contributor to your poor results. ‘Delusional’ is the favoured insult for any that ask questions of the great man.

I hope he stays in his current job for another decade.

not sure what consensus you are talking about, sounds like you are taking a few peoples opinions on here as the majority.

The vast majority of our board wants him gone....you are free to go read the dodoro thread.

If you are going to dish out a rubbish opinion like you have here (about talls) than of course its going to be defended.

not sure what consensus you are talking about, sounds like you are taking a few peoples opinions on here as the majority.

The vast majority of our board wants him gone....you are free to go read the dodoro thread.

If you are going to dish out a rubbish opinion like you have here (about talls) than of course its going to be defended.
Been on the Dodo thread on the main board, most of my posts were deleted because they quoted posts that were deleted for other reasons.

If the views on there are representative of your club then ...

Been on the Dodo thread on the main board, most of my posts were deleted because they quoted posts that were deleted for other reasons.

If the views on there are representative of your club then ...

dunno what to tell you.

Can only tell you what I have seen inside the inner sanctum.

if you want the unbiased view, that's probably where you need to go? But I assure you, most of us want a change in the recruiting department and if there isn't a drastic change soon than no doubt there will be. It was a key focus of Paul Brashers review when he took over.

Right, so because you think the club should have started rebuilding in 2017 (just after Daniher made the AA team, kicking 65 goals mind you) and they should have been drafting talls at that time when there was no indication Daniher would spend the next 3 seasons injured, or want to leave?

In 2019 they took talls with their first 2 selections at the draft, along with a 3rd in the SPP. Then in 2020 they took 4 talls. So that's 7 players > 190cm in 2 drafts, from when they became aware that Daniher was wanting to move on.

So your criticism is that they didn't immediately start re-building the spine in 2017 when Daniher had an AA season and Essendon played finals?

Genius.
So 7 picks in the last two drafts have been talls, none of them are ready to take over from Hooker or Hurley who are both the wrong side of 30 for another year or two.

Thanks for confirming my point.

dunno what to tell you.

Can only tell you what I have seen inside the inner sanctum.

if you want the unbiased view, that's probably where you need to go? But I assure you, most of us want a change in the recruiting department and if there isn't a drastic change soon than no doubt there will be. It was a key focus of Paul Brashers review when he took over.
Maybe there is some hope for your club after all

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
So 7 picks in the last two drafts have been talls, none of them are ready to take over from Hooker or Hurley who are both the wrong side of 30 for another year or two.

Thanks for confirming my point.

Your point that the list is in a rebuilding phase?

Ambrose, Zerk-Thatcher, Francis, Ridley

All four are defenders over 190cm.

James Stewart has also been training with the defenders.

It's questionable whether both Hooker and Hurley are in our best side as KPD's with a fully fit list.

So a pretty nonsense take really.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys

It's questionable whether both Hooker and Hurley are in our best side as KPD's with a fully fit list.

I hope they put Ridley or Ambrose on Harry Mckay when we play you, they are not true tall defenders.

Ambrose will be 30 before this season, and his career, is over.
Zerk-Thatcher was thrown to the wolves and struggled, still a couple of years away
Francis struggled, looks a long way off but worth persisting with
Ridley looks like a player worth keeping, needs help
Stewart is as injury prone as Joe which is a shame as he is needed to carry the forward line. 2m Peter is his help, poor bastard.

If all are fit, Hooker and Hurley are still required.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I hope they put Ridley or Ambrose on Harry Mckay when we play you, they are not true tall defenders.

Ambrose is actually a very good one on one defender.

But yet again, your criticism is that we don't have a ready-to-go AA Full Back to replace Hooker, in a rebuilding side that has just commenced rebuilding, because we didn't draft players 4 years ago when Daniher had an AA season and we played finals? Even though we do still have Zerk-Thatcher, Hurley, Ambrose, and potentially Stewart on the list. And have brought in Reid & Brand as KPD's.

It's a poor take. No matter how you try to spin it.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Ambrose is actually a very good one on one defender.

But yet again, your criticism is that we don't have a ready-to-go AA Full Back to replace Hooker, in a rebuilding side that has just commenced rebuilding, because we didn't draft players 4 years ago when Daniher had an AA season and we played finals? Even though we do still have Zerk-Thatcher, Hurley, Ambrose, and potentially Stewart on the list. And have brought in Reid & Brand as KPD's.

It's a poor take. No matter how you try to spin it.

Hurley was AA that season also, had Hartley and Brown as depth cover as well

Maybe there is some hope for your club after all

recruiting is only one factor of why we are s**t.

there are plenty of other areas that need to be fixed as well before we are competitive.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
You need a driven classy inside mid that screams future captain who will come through with the talls you've drafted.

I suspect the plan is to get one this draft but not sure it will work out that way.

We already have a better version in Andrew McGrath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I'm expecting a bottom 4 finish or at best around where they finished last year, but also wouldn't be surprised if things go nuclear and they end up winning the spoon. All the elements are in place - haggard list with limited upside, senior players on their last legs, players leaving, OOC stars (Merrett).

Rutten is going to have to do a hell of a lot of work to get this current squad competitive IMO.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Look , both Essendon and Carlton sh*t me beyond belief.

But out of the two I'D say Essendon, short term , will be better. A GOOD SIDE THAT I say was awfully coached. The old Neil Craig , Allan Richardson , syndrome. Good footy people but not good footy coaches. Truck will be a good coach.

Carlton seem to have big wraps by media types etc. I don't get it . The haven't proved much to me to warrant such enthusiasm. Essendon and the Essendon media mafia seemed to always pump up Saad. I thought he is pretty good but no match winner. What I'm trying to say is that he is no savior for Carlton and i don't know how much he improves them. Remember you lost Simpson , a fantastic player. I think Carlton supporters should tame their expectations JUST a bit , as I know from my club , it can either get really good or really bad really quickly.

I really hope its a good season for everyone, but ultimately it cant be.

I hope St Kilda really fires up this year, their supporters deserve it. Never meet a Saints supporter I didn't like.

How good is to be yacking about footy !!

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I hope St Kilda really fires up this year, their supporters deserve it. Never meet a Saints supporter I didn't like.

I think King will be an absolute star, it's just a matter of whether it's in 2021.

Would enjoy seeing the Saints continue their development, they were pretty unlucky not to snag a premiership a decade ago and have done it pretty tough since then.

Surprise. Yet another Essendon thread being derailed by Carlton fans.
Derailed? Are we not supposed to discuss your club in a thread about your club?

Weird definition of derailed

Back