Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm expecting a bottom 4 finish or at best around where they finished last year, but also wouldn't be surprised if things go nuclear and they end up winning the spoon. All the elements are in place - haggard list with limited upside, senior players on their last legs, players leaving, OOC stars (Merrett).

Rutten is going to have to do a hell of a lot of work to get this current squad competitive IMO.
We will throw substantial coin at Merrett.

Derailed? Are we not supposed to discuss your club in a thread about your club?

Weird definition of derailed
You want to know why? Your post:
The club is rebuilding their list while failing to publicly acknowledge it or inform their fans. Will lead to a lot of dissatisfaction as some fans seem to think last season was an anomaly when in reality it was the start of a downhill trend.

It normally takes more than some shiny new recruits to distract the membership base from poor results, for some reason the Windy Hill mob seem to think the lack of quality senior players at both ends will not have the same effect on them as it does every other club in history. It is not quite Crows level bad, might be closer than comfortable for some.

Will be an interesting ride to watch.
Literally majority of Essendon fans are expecting a bad year. And how is it a negative thing to go about your business and focus on the future without making a public 5-year rebuild plan? We clearly are focused on the future so there's no need for that.

Derailed because your discussion is lazy and mindless, which is a constant theme. Case in point, your argument that we should effectively be replacing Hooker and Hurley in 2017 when Hurley was in his prime, Daniher was AA and not injured, we played finals and Hooker was playing forward. Not taking into account the fact that we recruited the likes of BZT, Hartley, Francis, Brown and Ambrose throughout the years before and after 2017 with the vision of replacing our ageing KPPs. I wonder why you didn't mention our drafting of Draper in 2016 to replace TBC? It's just repetitive and boring. I'd like to have an actual discussion with people who aren't clouded by Essendon hatred like Carlton fans are.

If you know anything about our recruiting strategy, you'd know that KPPs are not an issue. In fact, we probably focus too much on replacing KPPs and less on midfielders.

How were we supposed to know that Daniher, the father and son KPF we built our side around, will become injury-prone and leave? And when he did request for a trade, what did we do after it? Recruited and drafted to replace him of course.
No, that was Dodo making excuses and pretending to make the best of a bad situation when everyone wanted out.

None of them replace Saad-to-see-him-go, Fanta-see-ya-later-alligator, Joe-anywhere-but-here and your entire Irish experiment as they are 2-4 year project players. You needed to stock up on talls 2-3 years ago as they always take longer to develop into match winners. Now that you have taken talls, still haven’t filled the gaps left by experienced players. Caldwell is a good start, will take time to find his feet.
This is another example of derailing the thread due to lazy, baiting commentary. You say we should replace Saad and Fantasia while glossing over the fact that we've recruited to replace Hooker, Hurley, Daniher and preparing our spine depth, which is actually more of a priority than replacing a small forward (and we actually have Cahill and Mosquito who can replace Fantasia) and Saad who we can also replace much easier than KPPs.

If you look at the players we did recruit, only Reid and Brand will take a significant amount of development to play at AFL level. Perkins, Cox and Eyre should be ready to go over the next couple of years. Jones is already probably in line to debut this year and play a significant amount of game time. Again, plenty to criticise Essendon about, but at least use the right argument.

We will throw substantial coin at Merrett.
I still think he's a good fit for St Kilda. They'll be contenders and are ready to spend on class in the middle.

Have they got much left to spend?
Carlisle's contract off the books at the end of this year, they're been cutting fringe players and foot soldiers in recent years, yes I think one more star fits in.

Carlisle's contract off the books at the end of this year, they're been cutting fringe players and foot soldiers in recent years, yes I think one more star fits in.

They also didn’t bring Crouch in on big money, nor Hill from memory.

Don’t think anyone there would be on a ridiculous contract, not that I can think of anyway. Guys like Webster and Roberton are overpaid for output, but they shouldn’t be an issue.

They also didn’t bring Crouch in on big money, nor Hill from memory.

Don’t think anyone there would be on a ridiculous contract, not that I can think of anyway. Guys like Webster and Roberton are overpaid for output, but they shouldn’t be an issue.
Yup, and both finish their contracts this year?
Hannerbury was a salary dump from the Swans, but at the time it was also rumoured to help the Saints reach the 95% cap floor.

You want to know why? Your post:

Literally majority of Essendon fans are expecting a bad year. And how is it a negative thing to go about your business and focus on the future without making a public 5-year rebuild plan? We clearly are focused on the future so there's no need for that.

Derailed because your discussion is lazy and mindless, which is a constant theme. Case in point, your argument that we should effectively be replacing Hooker and Hurley in 2017 when Hurley was in his prime, Daniher was AA and not injured, we played finals and Hooker was playing forward. Not taking into account the fact that we recruited the likes of BZT, Hartley, Francis, Brown and Ambrose throughout the years before and after 2017 with the vision of replacing our ageing KPPs. I wonder why you didn't mention our drafting of Draper in 2016 to replace TBC? It's just repetitive and boring. I'd like to have an actual discussion with people who aren't clouded by Essendon hatred like Carlton fans are.

If you know anything about our recruiting strategy, you'd know that KPPs are not an issue. In fact, we probably focus too much on replacing KPPs and less on midfielders.

How were we supposed to know that Daniher, the father and son KPF we built our side around, will become injury-prone and leave? And when he did request for a trade, what did we do after it? Recruited and drafted to replace him of course.

This is another example of derailing the thread due to lazy, baiting commentary. You say we should replace Saad and Fantasia while glossing over the fact that we've recruited to replace Hooker, Hurley, Daniher and preparing our spine depth, which is actually more of a priority than replacing a small forward (and we actually have Cahill and Mosquito who can replace Fantasia) and Saad who we can also replace much easier than KPPs.

If you look at the players we did recruit, only Reid and Brand will take a significant amount of development to play at AFL level. Perkins, Cox and Eyre should be ready to go over the next couple of years. Jones is already probably in line to debut this year and play a significant amount of game time. Again, plenty to criticise Essendon about, but at least use the right argument.
You don’t wait for players to retire before you begin planning to replace them. Hooker turns 33 this year, if the clubs recruiting department hadn’t thought about his longevity in the game in 2017, then you should sack every one of them. Daniher asked to leave a year ago after playing 11 games in two years then left after playing a couple more last season. Don’t believe your club didn’t expect him to be injured or leave.

The fact you have drafted 7 blokes over 195cms in the last two years as well as trading in two more suggests that you had either badly neglected this part of your list or your recruiting has been very, very ordinary.

Imagine who you might have drafted if you hadn’t given 3 first round picks for Shiel and Smith, neither of whom have transformed your midfield?

Your club thought you were close to challenging for a flag and threw away draft capital to not even win a finals game. Now the departing flood of experienced players and the imminent retirement of more has forced you to start a proper rebuild, only your club can’t admit this is what is happening to its supporters. Unfortunately you needed talls so were unable to replace the other departing players and will be relying on natural improvement from the rest of the players that only won 6 games last year even with the help of Saad etc.

If you win enough games to play finals, won’t be too many that will have predicted it to happen. More likely to end up in the bottom 4. Guess it is lucky for you that the 5 teams finishing below you on the ladder last season are also facing difficulties.

You don’t wait for players to retire before you begin planning to replace them. Hooker turns 33 this year, if the clubs recruiting department hadn’t thought about his longevity in the game in 2017, then you should sack every one of them. Daniher asked to leave a year ago after playing 11 games in two years then left after playing a couple more last season. Don’t believe your club didn’t expect him to be injured or leave.

The fact you have drafted 7 blokes over 195cms in the last two years as well as trading in two more suggests that you had either badly neglected this part of your list or your recruiting has been very, very ordinary.

Imagine who you might have drafted if you hadn’t given 3 first round picks for Shiel and Smith, neither of whom have transformed your midfield?

Your club thought you were close to challenging for a flag and threw away draft capital to not even win a finals game. Now the departing flood of experienced players and the imminent retirement of more has forced you to start a proper rebuild, only your club can’t admit this is what is happening to its supporters. Unfortunately you needed talls so were unable to replace the other departing players and will be relying on natural improvement from the rest of the players that only won 6 games last year even with the help of Saad etc.

If you win enough games to play finals, won’t be too many that will have predicted it to happen. More likely to end up in the bottom 4. Guess it is lucky for you that the 5 teams finishing below you on the ladder last season are also facing difficulties.

So your response to a very well worded reply, is to double down on your lazy commentary?

Nicely done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup, and both finish their contracts this year?
Hannerbury was a salary dump from the Swans, but at the time it was also rumoured to help the Saints reach the 95% cap floor.

I think so, they’re actually very well positioned. Have quietly built a pretty young list to be playing finals with, and don’t appear likely to be under salary cap pressure any time soon.

I also rate Ratten highly as a coach.

So your response to a very well worded reply, is to double down on your lazy commentary?

Nicely done.
Thanks for your non-contribution, feel free to completely mis-understand this post as well.

I think Essendon in 2021 will be bad.

BUT

And this is a very big BUT.

I actually think they have decided to take a step down the ladder and a giant leap forward.

Bombers have faced reality and gone down the youth/re-build path.

Sure 2021 will be ugly but I'd rather be ugly with kids than scrap around in 10th with delusions that you are a contender when you aren't.

So at least now they have hope in the future.

They have a spine for the next decade and young star ruckman.

Nice place to start.

I think Essendon in 2021 will be bad.

BUT

And this is a very big BUT.

I actually think they have decided to take a step down the ladder and a giant leap forward.

Bombers have faced reality and gone down the youth/re-build path.

Sure 2021 will be ugly but I'd rather be ugly with kids than scrap around in 10th with delusions that you are a contender when you aren't.

So at least now they have hope in the future.

They have a spine for the next decade and young star ruckman.

Nice place to start.

Sums it up pretty well really.

Think Jobe had tongue in cheek
The most optimistic Essendon fan wouldn't have them top4

Wright to win the Coleman, McGrath the Brownlow, Draper has a breakout season and pips Grundy, Gawn and Natanui for the AA ruck slot, whilst Ridley becomes a McGovern-Hodge hybrid that intercept marks everything coming in and quarterbacks the entire back half of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back