Essendon 2021

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
That’s obviously very different circumstances due to the majority of your list being suspended. When I look at the performances from last season and the quality players you have lost over the offseason that’s were question comes from

Those 3 goals from Joe Daniher (all in the one game) will be pretty hard to replace. True.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
That’s obviously very different circumstances due to the majority of your list being suspended. When I look at the performances from last season and the quality players you have lost over the offseason that’s were question comes from

Purely from a 2020 viewpoint... Saad was the only constant from the players we lost and Joe was responsible for the Hawks win. We lost talented players no doubt but they didn't contribute a tonne. Personnel isn't our weakness our game plan and mindset is.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I can see 2021 being a more compressed comp than people are predicting
in recent years we have had quite weak Gold Coast , Carlton, Lions and Essendon sides
Lions have transformed themselves and will rightly aim at finals again
Gold Coast have been improved under Dew and their young list should have further natural improvement
Carlton did start getting some wins on the board and a few wins had people taking notice
and Essendon were injury plagued last year but had promising younger player emerge
what looked like an uneasy partnership between Worsfold and Ratten is behind them now

The clean out at North would have most AFL followers tipping them to finish last

Who will partner them in the bottom four ? Essendon ?
From what I saw of the Essendon VFL side in 2019 I'd say no that side was very well drilled and looked full of promise
and without knowing the individual names of the young guys do think the likes of Hurley , Zaharakis & Hooker could get leap frogged

the drug suspension year was the weakest Essendon team of the last 50 years
2021 will bring fresh hope and yet more new faces will leave that era behind ,
they may not be great but not the worst Dons to go around

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
in recent years we have had quite weak Gold Coast , Carlton, Lions and Essendon sides
Gold Coast have been improved under Dew and their young list should have further natural improvement
Carlton did start getting some wins on the board and a few wins had people taking notice
and Essendon were injury plagued last year but had promising younger player emerge
what looked like an uneasy partnership between Worsfold and Ratten is behind them now

The clean out at North would have most AFL followers tipping them to finish last

From what I saw of the Essendon VFL side in 2019 I'd say no that side was very well drilled and looked full of promise
and without knowing the individual names of the young guys do think the likes of Hurley , Zaharakis & Hooker could get leap frogged

Nailed pretty much everything.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

There's no obvious basket case side, things can occur during the season that result in appalling results, or teams mentally throwing in the towel. But I don't see any side that is clearly a level below the rest of the comp in terms of talent or experience. Just a handful of teams that should be around the Top-4 and another handful around the Bottom-4.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm hardly a genius by saying injuries will shape the season
they came damn close to derailing the Tigers the last two years
I could see last year injuries took their toll on the Blues & Bombers

Geelong look like they have gone "all in" during trading this year believing their premiership window is open
will the "young" Cats players all of a sudden succumb to a series of soft tissue injuries

Brayshaw said something interesting during the finals when Collingwood were stinking it up "the end can come quickly"
and any side with a number of guys over 30 are probably walking a tight rope

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
How interesting that their best player Joe Daniher who was their highest paid player wanted to go to Sydney then it fell through and he went to Brisbane. Then even when they knew he wanted out they didn't line up a gun forward to take his spot (not including 2 metre Peter who was in the ressies at the Suns). So they went after Dunkley but landed a fringe GWS mid in Caldwell who isn't going to start in their midfield.

Mar 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
From a purely personnel perspective, losing 4 quality players in the prime of their careers (Saad, Daniher, Fantasia, McKenna) and replacing them with Caldwell, who's not ready to be a major contributor in 2021, will hurt any club. Yes those last three players didn't contribute much in 2020 but if they remained on the list they would represent huge upside for Essendon to push forward in 2021. I struggle to find upside to this Essendon list. Ridley and McGrath are genuine quality but played so well in 2020 it would require a little bit of luck (with injury, form) to maintain the standards set in 2020 let alone produce a level of performance that would deliver significant improvement. Unless I'm missing someone, the only upside I see in Essendon is potentially Draper (needs a big preseason and some luck) and players like Heppell and Stringer returning to fitness and form.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
How interesting that their best player Joe Daniher who was their highest paid player wanted to go to Sydney then it fell through and he went to Brisbane. Then even when they knew he wanted out they didn't line up a gun forward to take his spot (not including 2 metre Peter who was in the ressies at the Suns). So they went after Dunkley but landed a fringe GWS mid in Caldwell who isn't going to start in their midfield.
From a purely personnel perspective, losing 4 quality players in the prime of their careers (Saad, Daniher, Fantasia, McKenna) and replacing them with Caldwell, who's not ready to be a major contributor in 2021, will hurt any club. Yes those last three players didn't contribute much in 2020 but if they remained on the list they would represent huge upside for Essendon to push forward in 2021. I struggle to find upside to this Essendon list. Ridley and McGrath are genuine quality but played so well in 2020 it would require a little bit of luck (with injury, form) to maintain the standards set in 2020 let alone produce a level of performance that would deliver significant improvement. Unless I'm missing someone, the only upside I see in Essendon is potentially Draper (needs a big preseason and some luck) and players like Heppell and Stringer returning to fitness and form.

It's almost like Essendon are a club going through a period of hitting the draft to build the list around young players.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Will be the weakest I can remember but hilariously Hawthorn will beat them in the crapness stakes and take pick 1.
Do you honestly believe that both the Hawks and Bombers are in worse shape than the Roos and will finish below your lot for 2021?

Do you honestly believe that both the Hawks and Bombers are in worse shape than the Roos and will finish below your lot for 2021?

I believe us and and both of them will be bottom four and in the mix for bottom.

People are freaking out because we delisted the likes of Ben Jacobs who hadn't played in two years.

We also brought in multiple AFL players, two with recent grand final experience, and drafted an AFL ready gun mid.

Back