Essendon 2021

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I'm laughing...without a doubt some of the funniest content on these forums.

Most are laughing at you and your compatriots.

In a day to Celebrate the Blues moving forward, you and your cohorts are instead in another Essendon thread putting up nothing of value and stirring the pot then shifting the goalposts to suit some sort of agenda to make you lot feel better.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat

Go and celebrate Carlton for once. Enjoy your life. Stop degrading other clubs whom have had struggles no where near as what Carlton have.

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Offer the stats you mention up. Don't tell me to go look at them. But yes, the #freekickhawthorn thing was bs. Not quite sure how the issues I raised relate to Hird/Sheedy, but, oh well.

Complaaining about the umpire treatment.

I dare say the umpires treated Hird better before Sheedy told him to go on The Footy Show and call them cheats.

Daine

Debutant
Aug 24, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
And on the other hand you can have a run of the mill quick but not damaging outside mid, an intercept defender and a 22 year old big that has already done an ACL.

That’s a rather negative take. If I was to do that for hawthorn I’d say that one is a completely one dimensional inside mid who’s game seriously diminished when put beside a better inside mid, another is a 22 year old kpf who is still in and out of the side and who only averaged 0.6 goals per game last season, and the other is a poor mans Ridley, behind him in most areas.
But I don’t like to be overly negative so I will say that Will Day looks quite decent as a hbfer.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
That’s a rather negative take. If I was to do that for hawthorn I’d say that one is a completely one dimensional inside mid who’s game seriously diminished when put beside a better inside mid, another is a 22 year old kpf who is still in and out of the side and who only averaged 0.6 goals per game last season, and the other is a poor mans Ridley, behind him in most areas.
But I don’t like to be overly negative so I will say that Will Day looks quite decent as a hbfer.
My response was literally doing what you are doing here to the OP.

Was simly responding to someone who was being overly critical so i showed how easy it is to sling s**t.

Personally i am a fan of all 3 and think they are decent young prospects.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
Most are laughing at you and your compatriots.

In a day to Celebrate the Blues moving forward, you and your cohorts are instead in another Essendon thread putting up nothing of value and stirring the pot then shifting the goalposts to suit some sort of agenda to make you lot feel better.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat

Go and celebrate Carlton for once. Enjoy your life. Stop degrading other clubs whom have had struggles no where near as what Carlton have.

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is where I’m supposed to reply ‘nice melt’.

Pot. Kettle...you know the rest.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Do folks assume they'll get Band 1 compensation if/when Merrett leaves as a FA?

I suggest they'd do well to try and procure another first-rounder on top of that.

Depends on where he's going. If it's the proposed candidates of Collingwood, Port, Saints, Geelong or Melbourne then what is the point? 2 picks in the teens won't get you pick 2 or 3 & the top of end of this draft looks amazing. Horne + Sinn and give us license to trade in a need with a future pick. It would fast track our rebuild nicely and make the decision to draft so many talls in recent years look better.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Depends on where he's going. If it's the proposed candidates of Collingwood, Port, Saints, Geelong or Melbourne then what is the point? 2 picks in the teens won't get you pick 2 or 3 & the top of end of this draft looks amazing. Horne + Sinn and give us license to trade in a need with a future pick. It would fast track our rebuild nicely and make the decision to draft so many talls in recent years look better.
I meant that aside from the compensation for Merrett, you should probably try to get another first-rounder on top of that via some other, separate trade.

My post wasn't clear.

Do you look at moving on some other experienced players to improve your draft hand?

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I meant that aside from the compensation for Merrett, you should probably try to get another first-rounder on top of that via some other, separate trade.

My post wasn't clear.

Do you look at moving on some other experienced players to improve your draft hand?

Nah it's all good, didn't read it properly.

I'd move on Shiel for a late first or x2 seconds, and Smith if we a single second. If Hurley, Ambrose or Hooker want to go I'd happily facilitate it too for whatever. Parish the other that might have value but I think he'll have a decent career from here on out.

Personally think we should whinge to the AFL about us being pathetic for 20 years, emphasise we haven't won a final since 7 years before Gold Coast entered the competition and hopefully they give us an additional pick like they did with GC a few years back. We'd probably have win less that 3 games for the year and to get beaten easily by North for it to happen but I think that isn't impossible if the injuries keep piling up. They might be interested in preserving a good source of income as the membership is dropping off with little hope on the horizon.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Anyone over the ago of 30 - delist. Trade if possible. Play kids every week. Regardless of form. Sack the list manager. That's just the absolute start.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah it's all good, didn't read it properly.

I'd move on Shiel for a late first or x2 seconds, and Smith if we a single second. If Hurley, Ambrose or Hooker want to go I'd happily facilitate it too for whatever. Parish the other that might have value but I think he'll have a decent career from here on out.

Personally think we should whinge to the AFL about us being pathetic for 20 years, emphasise we haven't won a final since 7 years before Gold Coast entered the competition and hopefully they give us an additional pick like they did with GC a few years back. We'd probably have win less that 3 games for the year and to get beaten easily by North for it to happen but I think that isn't impossible if the injuries keep piling up. They might be interested in preserving a good source of income as the membership is dropping off with little hope on the horizon.
Hurley, Shiel and Smith seem the most attractive offerings.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Hurley, Shiel and Smith seem the most attractive offerings.

While I don't think we'd get anything for him as trade value is based mostly on reputation rather than production but Ambrose would be worth the most to a team in contention. Hard as nails and can go with practically any tall forward whatever their skill set, just needs to get fit, but looking at how our injury prone players fare elsewhere it's probably not an issue.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
While I don't think we'd get anything for him as trade value is based mostly on reputation rather than production but Ambrose would be worth the most to a team in contention. Hard as nails and can go with practically any tall forward whatever their skill set, just needs to get fit, but looking at how our injury prone players fare elsewhere it's probably not an issue.
You rate him higher than Hurley as a key defender?

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
You rate him higher than Hurley as a key defender?

Yeah, Hurley's wrists and shoulders ruined his body work. Hasn't been much of a defender for the past three years, just a rebounder who gets by with smarts. Put him on a genuine star tall and he gets carved up. Ambrose rarely gets more than a goal or two kicked on him regardless of opponent.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Yeah, Hurley's wrists and shoulders ruined his body work. Hasn't been much of a defender for the past three years, just a rebounder who gets by with smarts. Put him on a genuine star tall and he gets carved up. Ambrose rarely gets more than a goal or two kicked on him regardless of opponent.
I'm fairly sure that Ambrose's last full season he was outmarked by his direct opponent just 7% of the time, leading the league.

In the same list it had Hurley losing 33% of of contests.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I'm fairly sure that Ambrose's last full season he was outmarked by his direct opponent just 7% of the time, leading the league.

In the same list it had Hurley losing 33% of of contests.

Hurley had a pretty good career average for the majority. Averaged about 18 percent, not elite but great when it was only part of what he offered. Over two years it dropped his average down to that 33% so the drop off was significant. Losing less than 1/5 contests to losing 1 in 3. Which means he would have had to been losing it a much higher rate than that for a short period.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Hurley had a pretty good career average for the majority. Averaged about 18 percent, not elite but great when it was only part of what he offered. Over two years it dropped his average down to that 33% so the drop off was significant. Losing less than 1/5 contests to losing 1 in 3. Which means he would have had to been losing it a much higher rate than that for a short period.
It's a hard stat to track. With defenders rotating, pack marks etc. Look at Moore and McKay on Thursday night. Moore easily took the honours, but McKay still outmarked him 4 times, to Moore's 10*. That is a 28% loss by Moore, yet he was the games best player.

*numbers are an estimate. I haven't seen anything to back that up.

For what it's worth the two best one on one defenders last season were Liam Jones and Weitering. Losing 6% and 8% respectively.

As for the scapegoat of the week, Plowman lost 44% of contests. That has definitely risen in the last week.

Still fully expect them to utensil it up against GC and/or Collingwood but fair to say we've outperformed anyone's expectations this year.

If you look at the weekends side we had 3 players 28 years old and nobody above. Those 3 players are Shiel, Tippa and Smith with none of them a key cog in that win.

Hopefully that means the club will keep hitting the draft the next couple of seasons as it shows we still have time before our key players are 30+ and it's a "now or never" scenario with the squad.

Has been a pretty good year for the Bombers, well above supporter expectations I would guess.

So long as they stay the course with drafting rather than trading in quick fixes they are in a good spot IMO.
What was unpredictable was that Hind stepped in and replaced Saads dash relatively well, Harrison Jones contributed more than Daniher had the previous 3 seasons, Parish has become a star and Laverde/Stewart became a solid defensive pairing.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Back