Club Focus Essendon 2021 - Kelly, Hobbs, Lord, McDonagh

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally of the view that there's no one available that really suits our needs at this stage so think just head to the draft and develop who we have for now.

I thought Lewis Young might be worth a chance, from memory played some ok games earlier this year but may have that wrong. Not sure if dogs fans can shed some light on him or not because feels like with how their backline is at the moment he should be playing if he's any good.

But if Francis goes I think we need that third key back/back up, especially when you consider Ridley had to take Naughton on the weekend. Plus probably doesn't cost a lot regardless.

Parish has done it this year. Shiel the better part of 8 years. Excuse me for wanting more than 20 games before declaring him better.

To add to your point of sheil doing it longer.

For proof he has finnished a season 2nd in clearances in 2017 and been good most seasons since

I don't know if it's been missed amongst here or mentioned previously but Shiel looks now that he bleeds red & black. Internally, his leadership & knowledge around the play and helping the younger players out, he looks to be held in the highest regard. Not to mention he appears to be one of the first to be thrown up into various media opportunities, which should give some indication about how passionate & invested he is at the club. Sure, it might be tied into his contract in part but I don't think he is going anywhere nor do the club want to palm him off. He's one of those leaders that internally does a lot but also, come gameday he's yet another leader on the field.

Has his current contract worked out & is he worth what he is currently earning? Perhaps not, but the team is sure a heck a better one when he is amongst rotation. Prior to being injured, his clearance work was easily in the top 15 in the competition. The players he had around him at GWS were different to those that were at Essendon when he came across. We're now a different team, with more experience and a clear group of that inside midfield unit. I think we'll see him really work into his own / that form he had over his last two seasons at GWS in particular again next year when he's 100% fully fit again alongside the rest of our midfield group. He isn't going anywhere and is an integral part of Essendon's next premiership tilt.

Missing a key forward some midfield depth and a fullback still have a lot of work to do in the coming off seasons

Missing a key forward some midfield depth and a fullback still have a lot of work to do in the coming off seasons
Would love us to trade 2022 1st into the 2021 1st rd. Not sure who's up for that.
Sinn and either of Draper or Goater would be nice reading the draft profiles. That should compliment the midfield we have nicely.
Durham has been handy as a potential winger/HBF runner. And Cutler & Clarke have admittedly impressed in recent games. Enough to persist with for another year at least as we develop.

Cheap options;
Schulz from Freo
Brodie from GCS
Constable from Geel
Young and lipinski from Dogs

Sans club options;
Talia - step into FB for a couple of years whilst Reid, Brand & Eyre develop
McCartin - Add another former high draft pick for peanuts. Has worked with Stringer & Wright so far :p
Both gambles given injury history, but worth considering.

Another haram addition to this increasingly anti-Islamic club. First Houli was axed, then Saad forced out, then came Hams, Ham, Durham. Shame on you all!

Our anti-Islamic roots go back even further than Bachar, see Sean Denham :p

Seriously, wouldn't imagine there is a need nor want for us to have a super busy trade period, a couple of ins and outs trade-wise at most. Hit the draft to continue building on the good work so far, whilst complimenting what we have and continuing to work towards internal development within. Investigate fringe options via trades that have potential to play larger roles and fill a need, if the price is right. Wouldn't be against a punt on Weiderman.

Last edited:
If you want to compete, you need a talented and deep midfield. And the best 22 will have 6-8 players who are major members of that midfield group. In light of that, and that we seem closer than expected, I don't think there would be any sense trading Shiel (even if it was possible). Draper as ruck supported by Merrett, Stringer, Parish, Shiel, Langford, McGrath is looking like being as good as nearly every other midfield, with 3 out and out guns (if Parish & Stringer can back up in 2022/23/24), and top quality players in the others. Hell, McGrath may also step into that top echelon. Six players making up a fantastic core.

We then have Caldwell, Perkins, Cox and Durham who all look promising, but are totally unproven. And then fringe chances, or depth options in Clarke, Ham, etc.

Really, that's looking like a great little unit. I'd like our first rounder to be used on someone who can short-term contribute on either the forward or black flank, and a few years away shift midfield. That would complement the guys above. But I certainly wouldn't be trading Shiel out, or even spending considerable draft currency adding to it.

I don't think Essendon will or should have a big trade period. They are building nicely and I don't think there is any out of contract player on the market that really fills a need for them (they could do with a decent youngish ruckman but they are as rare as Hens Teeth)

Dodoro I hate to say it has done some good work in the past couple of years.
We've also got Bryan who looks the goods at VFL level. A 2019 draftee (second round).
I don’t think youngish decent ruckman is a need with Draper and Bryan. We need consistency, more 2 way balanced mids, small forwards, small backs and our developing talls to come good for me. Then if Cox is staying on a wing we need another tall, if he’s going to play tall we need another winger as I don’t fully trust Ham and like Langford/Cox as wings for their height and marking ability.
Pretty much this. However, I don't think we need any more talls even with Cox on the wing. Rely on the developing ones as you said, between Reid, Eyre, Baldwin, Brand and McBride we have a LOT of options.

R1 take a mid who short term can assist forward or back. Use the other picks on small forwards then defenders. We desperately lack out and out goal kicking smalls to support Walla (who is 28/29?). And down back, even with Cutler and Gleeson's late season form we literally have 5 small backs (which includes Heppell).

The Free Agency market is interesting for us. Grabbing a Seb Ross and a Ben Ronke (a chance to be cut?) or Malcolm Rosas (2nd year rookie loophole) perhaps would be nice, and if Wanganeen commits then it opens the door for upgrading those two third round picks we have, as Snelling's upgrade will count as a pick. Perhaps go to Collingwood with 48 and 54 for 39 and 75 (which won't have points for Daicos due to the fact he'll be the first to be bid on but will have a few points in the unlikely case of anyone deciding to bid on Wanganeen or Moore)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Free Agency market is interesting for us. Grabbing a Seb Ross and a Ben Ronke (a chance to be cut?) or Malcolm Rosas (2nd year rookie loophole) perhaps would be nice, and if Wanganeen commits then it opens the door for upgrading those two third round picks we have, as Snelling's upgrade will count as a pick. Perhaps go to Collingwood with 48 and 54 for 39 and 75 (which won't have points for Daicos due to the fact he'll be the first to be bid on but will have a few points in the unlikely case of anyone deciding to bid on Wanganeen or Moore)
Seb Ross has negative value and is not worth an AFL spot. Why would you give him any midfield time or even keep him as depth when due to Parish, Merrett, Shiel, Langford, Stringer, even Mcgrath is not getting sufficient midfield time.

Seb Ross has negative value and is not worth an AFL spot. Why would you give him any midfield time or even keep him as depth when due to Parish, Merrett, Shiel, Langford, Stringer, even Mcgrath is not getting sufficient midfield time.
Have to disagree. He's a solid player, runs both ways really well and is defensively very sound at the stoppage. As far as the players go, Parish, Merrett, Shiel and McGrath will all get good midfield time, Stringer really only gets used at centre bounces. Right now we have one defensive inside midfielder in McGrath, it's one of our weakest areas.

Use our first four picks. (Currently a 1st, 2 3rds and a 4th)

Overspend and front load a contract on a free agent while we have the spare cap room.

Upgrade Snelling.

Delist or trade out players to make space for the 6 new additions above.

Use our first four picks. (Currently a 1st, 2 3rds and a 4th)

Overspend and front load a contract on a free agent while we have the spare cap room.

Upgrade Snelling.

Delist or trade out players to make space for the 6 new additions above.

Hopefully we can trade our 2 thirds to a team that needs points for a reasonable second

Hopefully we can trade our 2 thirds to a team that needs points for a reasonable second
Not gonna happen. Our two thirds are worth 522, the equivalent of pick 35. Best we'll get is Collingwood's 3rd round pick

Such a real pity about Mosquito, remember that game in Darwin against Richmond where he just looked so exciting and dynamic..
Then he got that terrible injury.

Wish him all the best in his life post AFL. With Ambrose and Hooker retiring, Dons have several lift spots opening up now.

Such a real pity about Mosquito, remember that game in Darwin against Richmond where he just looked so exciting and dynamic..

Wish him all the best in his life post AFL. With Ambrose and Hooker retiring, Dons have several lift spots opening up now.
Sounds like he couldn't be bothered.

The writing was on the wall for the entire year.
Sounds like he couldn't be bothered.
Sometimes their heart isn't in it, and that's unfortunately the case here.

6 on the main list for now.

Snelling will be upgraded.
Jake Kelly signing from the Crows.

Leaves us with 4 picks to the draft (1st, 2 3rds and a 5th)

Last edited:

Leaves us with 4 picks to the draft (1st, 2 3rds and a 4th)
Traded our 4th to GC for 2MP

Leaves us with 4 picks to the draft (1st, 2 3rds and a 5th)
If Snelling is upgraded it doesn't cost a national draft pick as we're over 4 rookies. Durham does take a spot though.

So we currently have 4 picks of which at least 1 has to be used in the ND. Others can be ND/rookie/trade/FA. We would just meet the minimum requirement by promoting two rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back