Club Focus Essendon 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Also Ticky009 if any of that is relevant to your rumours thread ^
Thanks Lore, got it all pretty much covered already in posted articles re: this has been in the wind for a while. How much Bombers have in the bank isn't relevant from a rumour thread perspective but was interesting reading:tongueoutv1:

How do dons supporters feel about Adrian splurging the club’s “warchest” on Goldstein Gresham and McKay ?
Are they his latest version of Smith Stringer and Shiel and can they propel the club from no man’s land pretender to contender ?

Good. We feel good.

Going well for Essendon at the moment. 3 pickups, potentially 4 this trade period.

Have to play finals next year now. Their list has improved this week.

Where will Essendon sit now in terms of average age of the list?

Going well for Essendon at the moment. 3 pickups, potentially 4 this trade period.

Have to play finals next year now. Their list has improved this week.

Where will Essendon sit now in terms of average age of the list?
We'll see after the draft but we're still pretty young and inexperienced.

We'll see after the draft but we're still pretty young and inexperienced.

Not really.

Will have 4 players 30 and over in your round 1 team I would imagine (Goldstein, Stringer, Heppell, Shield)

Ridley, Mcgarth, Setterfield, Langford etc are all in their primes.

I'm being entirely genuine, they have to play finals in 2024.

Not really.

Will have 4 players 30 and over in your round 1 team I would imagine (Goldstein, Stringer, Heppell, Shield)

Ridley, Mcgarth, Setterfield, Langford etc are all in their primes.

I'm being entirely genuine, they have to play finals in 2024.

Given we rolled out a bottom four team for age most of 2023, we really don't have to do that.

Fun fact: Essendon was the less experienced side each time they played North this year.

Given we rolled out a bottom four team for age most of 2023, we really don't have to do that.

Fun fact: Essendon was the less experienced side each time they played North this year.

Again, no malice in this at all, but you've just brought in 4 starting 22 players, on good money.

in regards to your fun fact, the reason why that was now plays for you guys.

Again, no malice in this at all, but you've just brought in 4 starting 22 players, on good money.

in regards to your fun fact, the reason why that was now plays for you guys.

Yes, we've improved the best-22 of the list. We've done so without giving away any draft picks so far, a dearth of experience on the list and with a ~ $2m salary cap hole.

This whole "eSsEnDoN hAvE tO pLaY fInAlS" line is absurd, because in no way has Essendon compromised their ability to bring in younger players. Two of the FA pickups are in their mid 20s with at least 5 years ahead of them, and Goldstein is clearly there as support for a young Bryan and a currently injured Draper, on-field along with giving those guys the opportunity to learn from one of the best ruckman of the last decade.

Your commentary is at best superficial and lacking in any understanding of where Essendon's list is actually at.

Yes, we've improved the best-22 of the list. We've done so without giving away any draft picks so far, a dearth of experience on the list and with a ~ $2m salary cap hole.

This whole "eSsEnDoN hAvE tO pLaY fInAlS" line is absurd, because in no way has Essendon compromised their ability to bring in younger players. Two of the FA pickups are in their mid 20s with at least 5 years ahead of them, and Goldstein is clearly there as support for a young Bryan and a currently injured Draper, on-field along with giving those guys the opportunity to learn from one of the best ruckman of the last decade.

Your commentary is at best superficial and lacking in any understanding of where Essendon's list is actually at.

So you'd be content with missing finals with the following players on big contracts in their prime:

Mckay
Gresham
Merrett
Parish
Redman
Ridley

The pieces are now there. Theres genuinely no excuses. I know where your list is at. Theres some good players across the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you'd be content with missing finals with the following players on big contracts in their prime:

Yes. I'd much rather see them consolidate the game plan and see consistency of effort than worry about an arbitrary finishing position in the short-term.

I know where your list is at.

Apparently you don't.

Theres genuinely no excuses.

Sure there is. Less than half the comp makes finals each year. Plenty of sides are better than Essendon right now.

You've effectively demonstrated that you actually don't know what you think you know. Well played.

Yes. I'd much rather see them consolidate the game plan and see consistency of effort than worry about an arbitrary finishing position in the short-term.

Apparently you don't.

Sure there is. Less than half the comp makes finals each year. Plenty of sides are better than Essendon right now.

You've effectively demonstrated that you actually don't know what you think you know. Well played.

Keep deflecting. At some point you have to face expectation. Thats comes with the territory. The club has brought this on themselves by overpaying for available free agents, and overpaying for Parish.

Finals is the benchmark. You wont win one, but you need to play them.

Keep deflecting. At some point you have to face expectation. Thats comes with the territory. The club has brought this on themselves by overpaying for available free agents, and overpaying for Parish.

Finals is the benchmark. You wont win one, but you need to play them.

But here's the thing, the expectation you've made up as some random North supporter on BigFooty is pretty irrelevant.

You've simply demonstrated you have little idea of what Essendon supporters actually think, and that you have no intention on actually engaging in a discussion.

The bolded is simply absurd as well if you take even a moment to look at what other Free Agents have been offered.

So again;

I guess you’ll miss him then …

Let’s not go that far.

Being 2M under the cap makes it really hard to be competitive. That’s 3x700k players or having an extra 300k on 7 starters to upgrade the best 22.

It’s nice not to be playing at that significant of a mathematical disadvantage.

The big thing about this time is that no draft picks were given up so it’s just about building depth where as in the past theyd gut the list for non stars that they believed would make them contenders

On one hand, Essendon have done well to not lose draft capital and get in two players.

On the other, it does seem they are are over paying for two just good players.

As always, can't judge until a few seasons from now.

Will either be called 'bold and aggressive' list management or an ordinary team topping up with more ordinary players.

We did the latter for a few a dcades , it suck.

Pretty happy all 3 players fill a need. Goldy only signed for 1 year and will most likely become ruck coach in 2025

Hopefully we get Duursma. Nick Martin and Xavier Duursma on each wing is pretty good

Not sure where that leaves Sam Durham would try him down back can take Heppels spot.

They obviously paid McKay on the biases of goals he gets kicked on him.
Gresham... 700k... laughable.
Durshma.. probably gets 900k..

They obviously paid McKay on the biases of goals he gets kicked on him.
Gresham... 700k... laughable.
Durshma.. probably gets 900k..
Strong username to content correlation

If the small forwards reach their potential, then I would say we have two major holes on the list to fill. CHF and a premiere bid-bodied contested mid. From there, we can work on drafting hard working and better skilled players across the team.

JUH or B King are the immediate priorities.

If the small forwards reach their potential, then I would say we have two major holes on the list to fill. CHF and a premiere bid-bodied contested mid. From there, we can work on drafting hard working and better skilled players across the team.

JUH or B King are the immediate priorities.
JUH family are bomber fans they would love their son to play for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back