Club Focus Essendon 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

On one hand, Essendon have done well to not lose draft capital and get in two players.

On the other, it does seem they are are over paying for two just good players.

As always, can't judge until a few seasons from now.

Will either be called 'bold and aggressive' list management or an ordinary team topping up with more ordinary players.

We did the latter for a few a dcades , it suck.
It'll be interesting to see how it works out. The Bombers will be better next year and should play finals but their additions feel a little North-under-Brad Scott for mine. It feels very 'win a final' rather than 'win a flag'.

Yes, currently doing so.

But any sane Essendon supporter knows these deals are atrocious.
the deals are harmless from an Essendon perspective. Gave up nothing to bring them in and they can manage the cap. However these 3 or 4 players don't fix the key issue with Essendon, that being they're too easy to move the ball against and score. McKay helps with key forwards kicking bags but teams usually have 2-4 goal kicking options

Brad Scott and Co will need to overhaul their defensive system

It'll be interesting to see how it works out. The Bombers will be better next year and should play finals but their additions feel a little North-under-Brad Scott for mine. It feels very 'win a final' rather than 'win a flag'.

Hopefully The Win a flag players are already on the list already. Prime age it’s Merrett, Parish, Ridley, Langford, Redman who have been AA or close to it. (+ McKay and Gresham)

In terms of younger players Cox, Reid, Perkins, Caldwell, Hobbs, Tsatas, Martin, Draper, Bryan + pick 11

That’s a decent amount of high end talent (thanks to a decade of mediocrity)

Hopefully The Win a flag players are already on the list already. Prime age it’s Merrett, Parish, Ridley, Langford, Redman who have been AA or close to it. (+ McKay and Gresham)

In terms of younger players Cox, Reid, Perkins, Caldwell, Hobbs, Tsatas, Martin, Draper, Bryan + pick 11

That’s a decent amount of high end talent (thanks to a decade of mediocrity)
That looks like the bones of a flag list to me if everything goes right, but it does seem to lack the really elite talent that most flag lists seem to have. Those 3-4 absolutely dominant players. Merrett maybe, but the others might have to come from the unproven youth list.

I can absolutely imagine Martin getting there one day, and possibly soon. My favourite bomber by far.

That looks like the bones of a flag list to me if everything goes right, but it does seem to lack the really elite talent that most flag lists seem to have. Those 3-4 absolutely dominant players. Merrett maybe, but the others might have to come from the unproven youth list.

I can absolutely imagine Martin getting there one day, and possibly soon. My favourite bomber by far.

I think that’s unfair to Ridley, Merrett and Langford.

All 3 were absolutely elite at times this year to the point where opposing teams were making game plans to limit/avoid them

They just had no help and could be schemed out of games.

There’s also Stringer, Wright, McGrath (Possibly Sheil and Dursma), all of whom are capable of breaking a game open. They just all struggle with consistency due to a variety of different reasons

All 3 were absolutely elite at times this year to the point where opposing teams were making game plans to limit/avoid them

There’s also Stringer, Wright, McGrath (Possibly Sheil and Dursma), all of whom are capable of breaking a game open. They just all struggle with consistency due to a variety of different reasons
I had always thought stringer could be your game breaker, but it just doesn't seem to have panned out.

I don't see ridley or Langford as having another gear to go up to, but that may just be my own bias.

I am with you on merrett though.

I had always thought stringer could be your game breaker, but it just doesn't seem to have panned out.

I don't see ridley or Langford as having another gear to go up to, but that may just be my own bias.

I am with you on merrett though.

Langford kicked almost 50 goals while spending 1/3rd of the season as a HB and a good chunk of it as the only reliable forward target.

Doesn’t need another gear, just a better decoy/2nd option and better delivery.

Essendon with Ridley were on pace with port and the pies but got blown out without him. Was basically a one person defence at times.

Paired with McKay he’s going to be able to play more as a Zone off interceptor where he’s every bit as good as Stuart and Sicily.

Langford kicked almost 50 goals while spending 1/3rd of the season as a HB and a good chunk of it as the only reliable forward target.

Doesn’t need another gear, just a better decoy/2nd option and better delivery.

Essendon with Ridley were on pace with port and the pies but got blown out without him. Was basically a one person defence at times.

Paired with McKay he’s going to be able to play more as a Zone off interceptor where he’s every bit as good as Stuart and Sicily.
The 50 goals was just extraordinary. I didn't think he had it in him.

I don't think ridley can reach sicily/Stewart levels, but you are right that by bringing in mckay you are setting up the perfect opportunity for him to prove all doubters (like me) wrong.

Essendon are an exciting club with big potential. Going in for RFAs aggressively looks a great call.

Now we see if it works.

mcgrath has no game breaking traits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come again , opposing teams game plans were not adjusted for Langford. Good solid footballer is what he amounts to. Merrett is a gun and very damaging. Ridley is not far behind him , with that B grade list of players you mentioned in the end , just LOL. Stringer unfit, first round draft pick McGrath accumulator with zero hurt factor, Shiel reminds me of my local butcher , Dursma flicked out of Port quicker than his sidestep from his own shadow.

As a die hard afl supporter and passionate essendon supporter I deeply hate the way my fellow essendon supporters think. If there was a club with the overall dumbest athletic way of thinking it's our supporters and our list management.

Happy to have spent that war chest on mckay, Goldstein and Gresham. WE ARE A LAUGHING STOCK!!! WAKE UP!!! Look at what the successful teams are doing. They are going for talent!!!! Notice how dogs and Melbourne are trying to get lower into the draft??? Notice how clubs went for players like Tom Hawkins, Schultz, Liam Henry, lower draft picks in a super talented bottom 10 draft(game changing talent). TALENT!! 30 years of patience. Our supporters will respond with "* off then". But in reality.. we have been repeating the same s**t for 2 decades. If you think we're contending for a premiership in the next 5 years then you are a genuine d*ckhead.

If Matt Rosa is smart enough. He'll start thinking hmm maybe I should attempt to poach ESTABLISHED STARS like the successful clubs do. Like a tom lynch, a Steven may, a Oscar Allen, a jammara ugle hagan , a nick larkey, a christian petracca, a Jordan degoey, a jeremy caneron. Clubs have literally been buying premierships for a decade now eg : prestia, nank, lynch. Jeremy Cameron, paddy dangerfield, Gary rohan. Steven may, Jake lever, Ben Brown.
Essendon don't have a player that can single handedly change a game. Their father sons have been average, dodoro has been one of the worst drafters in the past 20 years and all these essendon supporters are satisfied. Every year not competing and they're satisfied. If you're a essendon supporter and you're reading this and you're satisfied, you're a *in joke

Not really.

Will have 4 players 30 and over in your round 1 team I would imagine (Goldstein, Stringer, Heppell, Shield)

Ridley, Mcgarth, Setterfield, Langford etc are all in their primes.

I'm being entirely genuine, they have to play finals in 2024.
Mid table list last year , their uninspiring trades this year amount to mid table finish in 2024. As you were Bombers .

mcgrath has no game breaking traits

I’m generally quite negative about McGrath. Thing is he’s got good speed out of defence and stats seem to indicate hes quite good at creating scoring chains.
Come again , opposing teams game plans were not adjusted for Langford. Good solid footballer is what he amounts to. Merrett is a gun and very damaging. Ridley is not far behind him , with that B grade list of players you mentioned in the end , just LOL. Stringer unfit, first round draft pick McGrath accumulator with zero hurt factor, Shiel reminds me of my local butcher , Dursma flicked out of Port quicker than his sidestep from his own shadow.

Langford was the AA medium forward and would be the best medium/tall forward on the pies by far. The only pies forward close to his level is Jamie Elliot.

Those “b graders” are all 22 or younger and were high draft picks. Lots of TBD but there’s a reasonable expectation that a few will be good.

Besides Collingwood is living proof you can win a flag with B graders ie Markov, Cox, Frampton/McStay, Lipinski all playing decent minutes

Geez Dodoro might be tight with the draft picks but he does not mind spending the cash. Would love to be in a shout with him. Also he’d have plenty of great stories.

Essendon going to be an interesting watch in 2024.

Yeah I’d be much more bullish about grabbing Gresham and McKay if I trusted Essendon to not get stupid and start making short term focussed decisions.

I’m extremely worried that round 1 next year Essendon name a side with all or most of Goldstein, Heppell, Kelly, Shiel, Hind and Laverde in it which further commits us to another 5 years of 7th-12th finishes.

McKay is a good pick up for the bombers. At his best is far from the spud being portrayed by North and opposing fans.
I wanted to keep him.
Goldy is also a good solid professional . Even at this stage of his career is still better than a lot of ruckmen going round

Yes, currently doing so.

But any sane Essendon supporter knows these deals are atrocious.
I don’t think anyone has the ability to know anything. It all depends on salary cap space. If what is reported is true and we still have enough cap space to target free agents in future years then it’s fine.

Did we overpay? Seemingly yes, but it seems like we had to pay the cap space anyway and we got the best defender on the market and what I’d say is the second best small forward available (best available via free agency). I’m okay with over paying as long as we still have cap space to target a KPF and big Bodied mid in the future. Seemingly we do which makes overpaying a good decision

Remove this Banner Ad

Back