Club Focus Essendon 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Sorry, which part of the post you responded to was unreasonable?
old hi back of nostradumbas seems to bump threads that are days, weeks old in some sort of sick attempt to reinvigorate threads that are collapsing into extinction.

This seemed like one, clearly not.

* I may, or may not show myself out

None of Essendon's trades or moves this off season moves them.closer to helping them win a flag, so I don't see why some Bombers and esp nuffies in the media like Robbo are so bullish about it.

Can make a argument it is a poor draft year though and they will get more value than kids they would likely pick up past the #25 range in the ND though.

Still reckon it's a Selley's Stop Gap solution recruiting drive (of sorts) though

None of Essendon's trades or moves this off season moves them.closer to helping them win a flag, so I don't see why some Bombers and esp nuffies in the media like Robbo are so bullish about it.

Can make a argument it is a poor draft year though and they will get more value than kids they would likely pick up past the #25 range in the ND though.

Still reckon it's a Selley's Stop Gap solution recruiting drive (of sorts) though
Nope, but they do make us closer to not flaming out of the top 5 in the last 8 rounds of the season.

Despite all the fanfare, it is our middle order, keeper and night watchman that needed attention.

old hi back of nostradumbas seems to bump threads that are days, weeks old in some sort of sick attempt to reinvigorate threads that are collapsing into extinction.

This seemed like one, clearly not.

* I may, or may not show myself out

This is a thread to discuss Essendon's 2023 list management. I think it's entirely appropriate it is bumped to discuss that club's moves in the 2023 trade period.

Any person without a vested interest would think its a decent enough off season.

Zerk into McKay is a huge win
Snelling into Gresham is a big upgrade
Phillips into Goldstein is a big upgrade

BZT for Dursma as a straight swap was the icing on the cake to be fair

If they can bring out the best of mckay he can certainly be a key part of a premiership back 6 in a few years. Sure, they are overpaying him, but not by so much it is completely ludicrous (assuming other better players don't get offended that he is earning more than them).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKay is probably the only one that will have an impact as it means Ridley and Laverde don't play on the biggest forwards. Other than him, yeah it hasn't brought the list any closer to a premiership. I don't think the list is very far, but it has very crucial holes that need to be filled. Desperately need an A-grade goal kicking mid that is strong in the contest (eg a Petracca/Dusty/Harley Reid type) as well as a CHF. Basically, go all in on JUH next year.

Also hope Menzie, the Daveys and Gresham can build themselves to be a strong core of small forwards. I'm confident the rest can come from Perkins/Reid/Cox/Tsatas/Hobbs/Martin/Durham/Duursma/Draper/Bryan etc.

A running HB is also needed, but I think they are easier to find than an A-grade mid and an A-grade CHF.

Any person without a vested interest would think its a decent enough off season.

Zerk into McKay is a huge win
Snelling into Gresham is a big upgrade
Phillips into Goldstein is a big upgrade

BZT for Dursma as a straight swap was the icing on the cake to be fair
Gresham has his good moments/games when healthy no doubt, but he also has just as many absolute stinkers were he is a defensive liability I’m not sure that’s the type of player you want to compete for a premiership with

Gresham has his good moments/games when healthy no doubt, but he also has just as many absolute stinkers were he is a defensive liability I’m not sure that’s the type of player you want to compete for a premiership with
his best is a significant upgrade on Snelling, Guelfi &/or Hobbs/Perkins (when playing fwd)

his best is a significant upgrade on Snelling, Guelfi &/or Hobbs/Perkins (when playing fwd)
His best will be an upgrade but come back here when he has a shocker , he refuses to handball or pass to teammates in better positions loves taking blind snaps at goal instead , won’t tackle or chase allows his opponent to run off and set up plays at the other end . for Essendons sake I hope Scott is riding his arse from day 1 he needs some tough love

His best will be an upgrade but come back here when he has a shocker , he refuses to handball or pass to teammates in better positions loves taking blind snaps at goal instead , won’t tackle or chase allows his opponent to run off and set up plays at the other end . for Essendons sake I hope Scott is riding his arse from day 1 he needs some tough love
just remember he was worth pick 13 though ;)

Major thing this trade period has given us is depth.

All of a sudden we have some selection pressure which should in turn raise the standard.

None of these guys will be our star but they should raise the quality of the list overall which is the goal.

Paying big bucks to McKay and Gresham is also offset by the fact we have a s**t tonne of salary space and will have no doubt front ended those deals.

Menzie and Snelling had no selection pressure last year (other then out of shape Tippa)- enter Gresham

Martin and Durham ran the wings with zero depth - Duursma

Zerk played FB out of position because we had no one else - McKay

And Phillips player a lot because Bryan wasn’t ready and Draper was injured - replaced by Goldy.

To get all these guys and still have a full draft this and next year is great.

For the Bombers I was alittle surprised they wanted to keep Shiel so much. I wasn’t sure the value for the team with his contract and he appears to be on the outs. What are the fans thinking?

For the Bombers I was alittle surprised they wanted to keep Shiel so much. I wasn’t sure the value for the team with his contract and he appears to be on the outs. What are the fans thinking?
Can afford his contract, no big deal. Most precious thing he could've made available to us is his list spot, and even that might be best filled in 12 months time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back