Club Focus Essendon 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

You would think Heppell, Goldstein, Shiel, Weideman, Kelly and Guelfi would all be in the gun.

Cox likely to be trade bait.
Cox is worth more to essendon than they would get in a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to stop that line of thinking

You're very right but he's had 3 years and has shown zero improvement.
At the very least he still has the "potential" enigma about him

to be fair 2 of those 3 years he has had injury issues.

he only played 5 games in 2022 and 6 games in 2023.

I think us more than most dont have a lot of patience though. I'm one of them.

Many dons supporters believe the club hang onto their players way too long.
Will be interesting to see if this remains the club’s strategy moving forward …

Id swap "believe" with know"

does David Zaharakis get 226 games with any other club?

Essendon is soft as wet s**t with getting rid of underperforming players, the issue is though we have no one to replace them with because our footy program is dog s**t. I can't remember when our VFL team was any good, there is literally no pressure for senior selection.

I think the approach really depends on how the season goes. There’s too many unknowns right now.

For the first time in a while (due to being massively under the cap) Essendon has reasonable afl level depth and the majority of their most promising players are young.

Most likely to be gone: happy to move on from Heppell, Guelfi, Weiderman, possibly Hunter, Laverde, stringer and Sheil.

If Goldy retires you’d want to replace him with another veteran Ruck happy to play 3rd string

That’s 4-8 players or 10-20% of the list from all over the list 2 medium defenders, 1 inside mid, 1 medium mid forward 2 tall forwards and one Small forward.

I think the approach really depends on how the season goes. There’s too many unknowns right now.

For the first time in a while (due to being massively under the cap) Essendon has reasonable afl level depth and the majority of their most promising players are young.

Most likely to be gone: happy to move on from Heppell, Guelfi, Weiderman, possibly Hunter, Laverde, stringer and Sheil.

If Goldy retires you’d want to replace him with another veteran Ruck happy to play 3rd string

That’s 4-8 players or 10-20% of the list from all over the list 2 medium defenders, 1 inside mid, 1 medium mid forward 2 tall forwards and one Small forward.
wash your mouth out, Weidemann is a tall defender :D:D:D:D

Only Logan McDonald and Jamara have played more games as KPP's taken in that draft than our boy.

Unsure why the "tall take time to develop" mantra is not afforded Cox.

That and Cox has had some early injury niggles.

Only Logan McDonald and Jamara have played more games as KPP's taken in that draft than our boy.

Unsure why the "tall take time to develop" mantra is not afforded Cox.
Thilthorpe hass 46 games to his name
To your point though, none of these were available to us.

the thing with Cox is he needs to show some consistent AFL level performances (he's not alone either).
Reid's preseason has shown a lot of promise.
Perkins, whilst still a WIP, has established himself at the level.

What may eventuate is we used a top 10 pick on a depth player...knowing at the time we had Ridley and planned to draft Reid.
I was happy with Perkins, but thought only one of Cox or Reid should have been taken.

Setterfield, guelfi, caldwell, perkins, mcgrath, jones and stringer doing contract extension ops no harm.

Cox finding his feet.

Missed setterfield in my initial "give a contract" list. Miss him so much when he's out.

The silver lining to our finals winning drought is players are going to want to be involved in the breakthrough win.
Opposition players are going to want to come accross, and current players are going to want to stay.

The silver lining to our finals winning drought is players are going to want to be involved in the breakthrough win.
Opposition players are going to want to come accross, and current players are going to want to stay.

I think this is very optimistic.

There are many reasons why one may want to come and play for Essendon - being a part of a finals win because they haven't won one since 2004 would be well down the list.

Last drought record holder won 3 in 4 flags
With the drought we're breaking, 5peat imminent

I think this is very optimistic.

There are many reasons why one may want to come and play for Essendon - being a part of a finals win because they haven't won one since 2004 would be well down the list.

I was part of a cricket club that hadn't won a premiership in all its 100 year existance.

Once this was highlighted in the local media, good players wanted to come accross to be a part of that elusive flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back