Essendon are now the one to watch out for - They can win the premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the posts clearly. You compared players like Smith and Heppell to Saad and Cerra.

It was laughable then and it was laughable now.
as I said, at the time of posting, it was comparable. Lots has changed but some want to live in the past..

How many days have Essendon not won a final? im not keeping count

Shows how poor the quality of sides are this year (bar Sydney) for Essendon to be top 4.

Gill has done a stellar job evening out the competition to the point that the quality of sides has diluted massively.

Ok, glad to know we are all agreed that whoever wins between Essendon and Carlton is a 🔒 for the premiership
Well there you have it. Carlton comfortably win and have locked themselves in as premiership favourites. A complete team, a mature list in the peak of their window. I honestly think they gotten past their psychological issues with choking and their deep seated losing culture. The time is now.

Shows how poor the quality of sides are this year (bar Sydney) for Essendon to be top 4.

Gill has done a stellar job evening out the competition to the point that the quality of sides has diluted massively.

it's only a snapshot in time.

We will drop to 6th to 10th by the end of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would just argue that we are in a phase waiting for the next dominant team to arrive after Richmond.

It should have been Melbourne but they screwed it up. Now it should be Carlton but they are doing what they can to screw it up.

For the record Essendon cannot win the premiership. They are not close but they are getting better.

Dons have been very fortunate with their run to date. Many of their wins have come despite having less shots on goal. Bad kicking is bad football and the dons have been very accurate when it mattered this year which has been their saving grace or rather their opposition has been rather inaccurate.

Lets look at their wins:
r1 - v hawks - had less shots on goal (28 v 22)
r3 - v saints - had less shots on goal (22 v 21)
r5 - v dogs - had less shots on goal (22 v 21)
r6 v crows
r8 v eagles - won by a goal
r9 v gws - good win
r11 v tigers - 2 goal win

Of all those teams, only GWS are in the top 8 though they have been pretty lucky with their run, 3 of the games they had less shots than their opposition, they won against 2 bottom 3 sides by a combined 3 goals.

In saying all that they will likely make finals as they have made the most of their opportunities. I just doubt that their form suggests they will do well in the finals.

Dons have been very fortunate with their run to date. Many of their wins have come despite having less shots on goal. Bad kicking is bad football and the dons have been very accurate when it mattered this year which has been their saving grace or rather their opposition has been rather inaccurate.

Lets look at their wins:
r1 - v hawks - had less shots on goal (28 v 22)
r3 - v saints - had less shots on goal (22 v 21)
r5 - v dogs - had less shots on goal (22 v 21)
r6 v crows
r8 v eagles - won by a goal
r9 v gws - good win
r11 v tigers - 2 goal win

Of all those teams, only GWS are in the top 8 though they have been pretty lucky with their run, 3 of the games they had less shots than their opposition, they won against 2 bottom 3 sides by a combined 3 goals.

In saying all that they will likely make finals as they have made the most of their opportunities. I just doubt that their form suggests they will do well in the finals.
its an eerily similar reflection to the Hawks (im not trolling, just something I picked up on recently)

For a side who some tipped us to be bottom 8 (I tipped us bottom 4), we're going better than expected. Not just the actual wins but the fact we haven't been blown out of matches (barring Port and Swans in the last quarter)

its an eerily similar reflection to the Hawks (im not trolling, just something I picked up on recently)

For a side who some tipped us to be bottom 8 (I tipped us bottom 4), we're going better than expected. Not just the actual wins but the fact we haven't been blown out of matches (barring Port and Swans in the last quarter)
I agree.

If GWS weren't as injury hit they would have won against the hawks (hawks were also injury hit eg mitch lewis, lloyd meek etc). We are beating the teams around us on the ladder (wb, ade, stk) but we havent beaten any of the higher ups other than an injury hit gws.

When judging a teams performance i think its important to look at how the opposition were fairing at that time eg were they riddled by injuries ala geelong the last month or so, were they a reigning premier who were off their game eg collingwood start of the year or melbourne currently, GC away from home.

With all that said, you can only beat the teams who show up and at the end of the seaons its only the number of Ws that matter.

Essendon are now the one to watch out for - They can win the premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back