Competitions Essendon Board 2021 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft picks
Normally eDPS would be running the show but he's a little time poorer this year so I've offered to do this for him. Ideally we'd have 18 people sign up but if we don't get that by Friday, one or two might have to double up.

Rules:

1. Pick trading is allowed, but the points difference have to be within 200 points per the AFL rules or include future picks.
2. You have 8 hours between 8 am and 10 PM AEDT to make your pick. Otherwise you get the next player on eDPS rankings
3. Bids can be made and matched.
4. You sign up, the teams will be randomized using random.org

1. eth-dog - Fremantle and Melbourne
2. Zach Package - Essendon and Brisbane
3. boncer34 - Adelaide and Richmond
4. ghostdog - Carlton and Port Adelaide
5. Duckworth - North Melbourne and St. Kilda
6. Vindicater - Geelong and Sydney
7. Megabattimus - Gold Coast and West Coast
8. eDPS - Collingwood and Western Bulldogs
9. Tippa43 - Greater Western Sydney and Hawthorne

Draft order:
  1. Collingwood - Nick Daicos (bid matched)
  2. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
  3. Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy (bid matched)
  4. Richmond - Finn Callaghan
  5. Gold Coast - Josh Rachele
  6. Adelaide - Josh Gibcus
  7. Hawthorn - Neil Erasmus
  8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
  9. GWS - Mac Andrew
  10. Fremantle - Ben Hobbs
  11. St Kilda - Matthew Johnson
  12. West Coast - Arlo Draper
  13. Essendon - Josh Goater
  14. Richmond - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
  15. GWS - Jacob van Rooyen
  16. Brisbane - Josh Ward
  17. GWS - Josh Sinn
  18. Sydney - Mitch Knevitt
  19. Melbourne - Tyler Sonsie
  20. Brisbane - Darcy Wilmot
  21. St. Kilda - Michito Owens (bid matched)
  22. GWS - Josh Fahey (bid matched)
  23. Fremantle - Campbell Chesser

24. North Melbourne - Matthew Roberts
  25. Hawthorn - Ned Long
  26. Geelong - Sam Butler
  27. Hawthorn - Judson Clarke
  28. Carlton - Zac Taylor
  29. Port Adelaide - Angus Sheldrick
  30. Port Adelaide - Jase Burgoyne
  31. Richmond - Rhett Bazzo
  32. West Coast - Samuel Banks
  33. Geelong - Tom Brown
  34. Sydney - Blake Howes
  35. Geelong - Toby Conway
  36. Melbourne - Jack Williams
  37. Geelong - Leek Alleer
  38. West Coast - Jesse Motlop
  39. Adelaide - Kai Lohmann
  40. Sydney - Alistair Lord

41. Gold Coast - Bodi Uwland
  42. Brisbane - Charlie Dean
  43. North Melbourne - Josh Rentsch
  44. North Melbourne - Cooper Murley
  45. Melbourne - Noah Pegoraro
  46. Geelong - Lachlan Rankin
  47. Essendon - Corey Warner
  48. St. Kilda - Marcus Windhager (bid matched)
  49. Fremantle - Paul Curtis
  50. Essendon - Corey Preston
  51. Adelaide - Brady Hough

52. Hawthorn - Connor MacDonald
  53. Brisbane - Blake Schlensog
  54. Western Bulldogs - James Willis
  55. Port Adelaide - Josh Browne
  56. Carlton - Ronald Fejo jr
  57. Western Bulldogs - Charlie Molan
  58. North Melbourne - Zac Becker
  59. Port Adelaide - Jake Soligo
  60. Port Adelaide - Martin Gleeson
  61. Adelaide - Jordan Lukac
  62. Brisbane - Joel Trudgeon

63. North Melbourne - Jackson Archer
  64. Collingwood - Jamieson Ballantyne
  65. Melbourne - Taj Woewodin (bid matched)
  66. Fremantle - Eric Benning
  67. Carlton - Hugh Jackson
  68. Collingwood - Miller Bergman
  69. Essendon - Bailey Rodgers
  70. Collingwood - Luke Nankervis
  71. Melbourne - Lewis Rayson

72. Adelaide
  73. Carlton
  74. Fremantle - Ethan Regan
  75. Western Bulldogs - Tyreece Leiu
  76. Melbourne - Jahmal Stretch
Lore is this able to be stickied?

Last edited:
Zac Becker
Pick #58 North Select: Zac Becker - Held his own against the best KPF this year, but can play on a variety of sizes. Probably more suited to a medium defender role, might hope he becomes a Laverde style. Has also kicked a couple of bags as a forward. Good overhead and a penetrating kick.

To keep things moving

Pick #63 North select Jackson Archer as son of Glenn Archer. Is the less-fed defender version of his old man. North is committed to taking him, and it's going to be their last selection - by matching or otherwise.

North done for the draft:
Horne-Francis the best player in the draft, complemented by SA midfielder Matty Roberts who slipped a bit. Murley an outside midfielder with speed - so North have some good midfielders for the next building phase. Big size KPF Monkey Wrench has some potential and could be a monster in a few years time. Good versatile defender in Becker and the wiry father-son in Archer as a couple of defenders to round out the draft. A good mix of players to complement what they already have.

ghostdog you're up.

Last edited:
Pick 59, Port Adelaide

Jake Soligo
Soligo is a spritely smaller midfielder. The feeling at Port is that any of Butters, Duursma or Rozee (!) could develop as inside mids with a view to replacing Boaky. Soligo adds depth to the PA on-ball brigade with this in mind. Was touted early by some as a potential second round pick.

Pick 60, Port Adelaide

Martin Gleeson
Gleeson gets thrown a lifeline at Port as a defender who can help raise the standards, pressuring players like Bergman, Burton and Clurey to do better. A great club man who can be relied upon at AFL level and could be invaluable depth in the push for a flag while the window is open.

Not sure how I'm going with this but I'm having a crack.

boncer34

Hawks wrap

Identified that their current list needs inside and outside mids, maybe some general forwards.

Erasmus he was a solid pickup. Taller midfielder who can do some damage forward. Been fairly impressed with what i have seen from him. Can play inside and outside midefield as well as forward where he uses him size to mark.

Ned Long big bodied mid. Few more kinks to work out than Erasmus but still some one to build into a solid contributor. Long seems to be all over the shop in terms of where he is predicted to go. Probably not the best spot to pick him as he may have slid to my next picks.

Judson Clarke small forward/mid who i think can start as a small forward in the AFL.

McDonald
another big bodied mid. I didnt have a plan for this pick, maybe a general or small forward. I had McDonald rated a little bit higher so i thiught i would take him as a slider.

Jordan Lukac
Joel Trudgeon
Again a pick that the Lions will probably pass on but,

Brisbane - #61 - Joel Trudgeon

19 year old tackle and stat monster, a low ceiling pick and certainly not a guarantee to make it but I reckon he’s value late and at this point a big body who puts his head over it and bangs in is a pretty good bet, worst comes to worst I reckon he’ll cane it in the VFL and apply a bit of selection pressure.

Duckworth ?

Jackson Archer

19 year old tackle and stat monster, a low ceiling pick and certainly not a guarantee to make it but I reckon he’s value late and at this point a big body who puts his head over it and bangs in is a pretty good bet, worst comes to worst I reckon he’ll cane it in the VFL and apply a bit of selection pressure.

Duckworth ?
I'll take Archer as a father-son. North and Saints both done for the draft.

over to eDPS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taj Woewodin
Taj Woewodin match
Pick 65: Taj Woewodin (182 cm/77 kg, half back/wing, East Fremantle).

Taj is very similar to his dad in playing style, quick, good skills and smart. Fremantle are a legitimite chance on bidding here even though I mostly did it to make a poor attempt at humour, as I think he's the best player available at this point in time. He probably spends most of next year in the VFL but that's fine, he'll be a player.

Others considered: none, father son

Last edited:
Eric Benning
Pick 66: Eric Benning (196 cm/86 kg, forward/ruck, Claremont).

I tossed up whether or not to pick him and wait for a bid later but there isn't really much point in waiting. Benning I think should get a bid in the 40's or 50's anyway, as his athleticism and skills are very very good. I can see him being a long term partner to Darcy, his leap makes up for the fact he's 196 cm and his hands are very strong as well.

Others considered: Jahmal Stretch, Miller Bergman, Luke Nankervis, Jai Serong

Last edited:

Duckworth ?

Does Joel play like Mitch Robinson?

Sounds very similar to him right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick 67, Carlton

Hugh Jackson

A South Australian youngster, Jackson averaged 34 disposals across 11 games in the SANFL U18s earlier this year, playing off half-back and on a wing. Body is light and he's only 18yo. Carlton will look to develop him further in the VFL and training with Walsh and Cerra. Could be our new Kade Simpson? Jackson is also Carlton's final pick for this draft.

boncer34

Bailey Rodgers
Essendon #69 - Bailey Rogers

Bit of immediate impact out of the WAFL, potentially the best mid in any of the state leagues and young enough to still play 100 or more games.

Fully expect Essendon to actually pass here though

Vindicater with the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back