Competitions Essendon Board 2021 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell Chesser
  • Pick 23: Campbell Chesser (186 cm/83 kg, Balanced Midfielder, Sandringham Dragons)

This pick is highly likely to get traded come draft night however nobody seemed overly interested in it here. Chesser is pretty much the best player left in the draft here and whilst he wouldn't be a direct replacement for Cerra he's a similar style and as a country boy he's less likely to request a trade back home. Another player that could easily find himself playing on a wing in their best 22.

Others considered: Matthew Roberts, Jesse Motlop

Duckworth is up for North Melbourne

Last edited:
    Matthew Roberts
  • Sam Butler
  • With the #26 pick Geelong select Sam Butler.

Will instantly add some speed and pressure to the cats forwardline with the potential of moving into the midfield in years to come.

Tippa43

Judson Clarke
  • Hawks select Judson Clarke. Toss up here with Zac Taylor. Trying to select a range of midfielders with different attributes for the Hawks here. Two big midfielders that have shown forward craft and now a forward/mid.

ghostdog

Zac Taylor
  • Pick 28: Zac Taylor

For me it was between Taylor and Jesse Motlop. Carlton really need some class to work around the ankles of CCurnow and Harry McKay now Betts has retired, but they also need a player who can help them make use of Walsh, Cerra and Cripps by being able to push up to the wings and provide some outside run. Taylor is only 180cm and usually I like wingers to be taller, but his athleticism gets him there and his ball use is highly rated. Might not be as crafty forward as Motlop, but he knows the role.

I also considered Blake Howes.

Angus Sheldrick
  • Pick 29: Angus Sheldrick

Port's choice here has an eye on the future. In my Port world, Kenny realises his list has nowhere near the quality and evenness of Melbourne's or a couple of other contenders, and that he has retirees on his hands. Sheldrick will cover the loss of Travis Boak in time. He has traits that should translate well to AFL level for him; he gets to contests around the ground, hard at the contested ball, kicks goals when he pushes forward. Sheldrick is a very hungry player. He's 179cm, but at 17yo he has growth in him yet.

I was keeping an eye on Matthew Roberts as well.

Rhett Bazzo
  • Tom Brown
  • With the #33 pick in the draft Geelong select Tom Brown.

With the loss of Clark, Geelong look to add more pace off the back half with a running defender.

I have the next two picks as well but just thinking about what to do with Sydneys so will do alittle later.

Blake Howes, Toby Conway
  • With the #34 pick in the draft Sydney select Blake Howes

Not really sure where to go with this pick for Sydney after selecting a big bodied midfielder with their first pick. Howes provides coverage both forward and back and potentially allows for a move from Heeney further into the midfield.

With the #35 pick in the draft Geelong select Toby Conway

Bringing in Ceglar allows them to take a ruck prospect with one of their many early picks to develop over the next few years. Conway has the physical size and mentality but needs to work on endurance.

boncer34

Jack Williams
  • Pick 36: Jack Williams (194 cm/95 kg, Key Forward, East Fremantle)

Essentially I traded up because I wasn't planning anything special with pick 49 and I wanted to make sure about Williams as I wasn't sure if he was going to make it past West Coast. Williams is a player that fits Melbourne well with McDonald and both Brown's getting on in age, and will be an important player going forward for the Dees as a fairly reliable set shot as well.

Vindicater back up with Geelong

Last edited:
    Kai Lohmann
  • Okay it's been 8 hours since the last pick, which means that boncer34 gets Kai Lohmann for Adelaide. Vindicater is up.

Charlie Dean
  • Brisbane - #41 - Charlie Dean

Was hankering for Aleer, Williams or Bazzo to sneak through but I'm going to go for Charlie Dean. Has played forward before but smashed it down back this year with his intercepting and the fact that he's 195 but basically plays like a back flanker is a very desirable skillset and one that would fit with Brisbane really well alongside Andrews and one of Gardiner and Adams. Fothergill-Round Medalists have a fair old track record of becoming good league footballers too.

Duckworth with back to back picks for North

Josh Rentsch
  • Cooper Murley
  • Noah Pegoraro
  • Pick 45: Noah Pegoraro (194 cm/88 kg, Key Defender, West Perth)

Essentially my goal for Melbourne was to take a key forward, a key defender and a midfielder with the first 3 picks. Pegoraro is 24 however he's the best key defender left in the draft with Dean, Alleer and Bazzo all gone and as such I had to take him here. As a defender he's very solid one on one despite having a little physical development left.

Others considered: Luke Nankervis, Miller Bergman

Vindicater up again

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back