Competitions Essendon Board Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 20 Essendon Dylan Clarke 187cm 85kg Inside Midfielder Eastern Ranges

Clarke is one of my favourite players in the draft this year.
He is an inside midfielder who is a competitive beast. He excels at winning clearances and fights hard to win contested footy.
He has a huge endurance base and is a fitness fanatic. He is also a quality individual who leaves nothing to chance with his footy and is a fantastic student who is aspiring to get a high ATAR score. He has future leader written all over him.
He does have some flaws to work on which I have no doubt he will improve.
Clarke's kicking is mechanical and can be ineffective when under pressure. However I think he will learn to play to his limitations and use his hands more often than his feet. Clarke could benefit from becoming a little quicker and his agility isn't quite where it needs to be. Again this will improve in time but he doesn't have to be great at these traits as his strength is being a bull on the inside.

Clarke had a terrific National carnival while the Combine confirmed his strengths and weaknesses.
In the TAC Clartke averaged 29.4 disposals with 16.6 being contested. He averaged 7.9 tackles and 6.8 clearances. In the Nationals he averaged 24.8 disposals with 50% being contested. He averaged 5.5 clearances and 3.8 tackles.
Clarke ran an impressive 9.52 3km run and a 14.12 beep. He ran a 3.11 20m sprint which is okay for his type of player with a disappointing 8.75 agility. His repeated sprint score of 26.04 was slightly disappointing but his 24 kicking score and 23 clean hands score were both good. 19 in the goal kicking was average but is truly not what he is getting drafted for.

Pick Rationale

McGrath gives us speed and inside/outside midfielder while Clarke gives us a ball winning clearance bull who will be a strong bodied bruiser who will plough the ball forward and bruise less physical opposition midfielders. I wanted Clarke here unless Florent or Simpkin slipped.

Pick 20 Essendon Dylan Clarke 187cm 85kg Inside Midfielder Eastern Ranges

Clarke is one of my favourite players in the draft this year.
He is an inside midfielder who is a competitive beast. He excels at winning clearances and fights hard to win contested footy.
He has a huge endurance base and is a fitness fanatic. He is also a quality individual who leaves nothing to chance with his footy and is a fantastic student who is aspiring to get a high ATAR score. He has future leader written all over him.
He does have some flaws to work on which I have no doubt he will improve.
Clarke's kicking is mechanical and can be ineffective when under pressure. However I think he will learn to play to his limitations and use his hands more often than his feet. Clarke could benefit from becoming a little quicker and his agility isn't quite where it needs to be. Again this will improve in time but he doesn't have to be great at these traits as his strength is being a bull on the inside.

Clarke had a terrific National carnival while the Combine confirmed his strengths and weaknesses.
In the TAC Clartke averaged 29.4 disposals with 16.6 being contested. He averaged 7.9 tackles and 6.8 clearances. In the Nationals he averaged 24.8 disposals with 50% being contested. He averaged 5.5 clearances and 3.8 tackles.
Clarke ran an impressive 9.52 3km run and a 14.12 beep. He ran a 3.11 20m sprint which is okay for his type of player with a disappointing 8.75 agility. His repeated sprint score of 26.04 was slightly disappointing but his 24 kicking score and 23 clean hands score were both good. 19 in the goal kicking was average but is truly not what he is getting drafted for.

Pick Rationale

McGrath gives us speed and inside/outside midfielder while Clarke gives us a ball winning clearance bull who will be a strong bodied bruiser who will plough the ball forward and bruise less physical opposition midfielders. I wanted Clarke here unless Florent or Simpkin slipped.
Nice one. Who was next on your list, may I ask?

Pick 4: Gold Coast - Sam Petrevski-Seton

Position: Balanced midfielder/forward
Height: 180cm
Weight: 73kg
Club: Claremont
Similar to: Daniel Wells, Cyril Rioli

What I like:
The first thing that stands out about SPS are his footskills. Not only are they very accurate, but his ability to hit targets off both feet is eerily similar to that of Sam Mitchell. SPS is very elusive in traffic, constantly dancing and weaving his way out of tight situations. Not only does he possess a very well balanced midfield game, but he can also rotate forward very effectively. He’s an excellent crumber and finisher when playing there, which is all you can really want from a small forward. Finally, SPS’s hallmark pressure is immense. His constant harassment and chase down tackles of opposition players are team lifting acts which increases his value exponentially.

My ?’s:
After some hamstring issues this year, I don’t think SPS ever found peak form. However, it does beg the question as to what his ceiling will be as his performances didn’t really increase when compared to last year. I also notice that SPS is unable to impact the scoreboard whilst playing in the midfield, which will hopefully change once he increases his endurance.

Reasoning for picking him: Best available

Damn... missed out on Jonty by 1 pick.

With the next selection in the draft GWS select Ben Long

With talent all over the park GWS have the ability to simply take the best available player and to me that is Ben Long.

Good versatile player who will be able to fight for his spot either forward or back. I really like the grunt he displays around the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With pick #45 GWS take Alex Villis

Once again, GWS find itself looking for players who can provide drive off the halfback line. Villis is one of the best kickers in the draft and while not very good in the congestion of a pack will be a deadly outlet option with all the ball winners the GWS have on the inside.

After missing out on McGrath early the GWS this year have decided to throw a couple of darts at the board in hope of finding their attacking half back flanker with Duman and Villis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back