News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

Take care of yourselves and your loved ones. The only way out of this is to starve the virus so do what you can to avoid close contact with others and implore the same of those around you. It goes against human instinct but it's better than the alternative.

Fingers crossed a vaccine/cure can be fast tracked, this is going to be a tough few months.

Take care of yourselves and your loved ones. The only way out of this is to starve the virus so do what you can to avoid close contact with others and implore the same of those around you. It goes against human instinct but it's better than the alternative.

Fingers crossed a vaccine/cure can be fast tracked, this is going to be a tough few months.

What I don't understand is starving it is all well and good but how long can lock down a state?

It can't be for less than a month because if you start back up any sooner the virus just starts back up again and not enough people in the population have immunity. So it lingers as a problem for longer with a secondary spike.

In the absence of football, I thought a place to chat about virus impacts might be worthwhile.

Last night the PM shutdown pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants, gyms etc.

Schools in ACT and Vic are closed.

I'm a teacher in NSW; maybe about to have the same thing here...

What I don't understand is starving it is all well and good but how long can lock down a state?

It can't be for less than a month because if you start back up any sooner the virus just starts back up again and not enough people in the population have immunity. So it lingers as a problem for longer with a secondary spike.

It's all about reducing the spread as much as possible to reduce the burden on the health system, buying time until a vaccine is found. Prior to then, if we somehow went down to zero cases with zero new infections for a fortnight, that'd be nothing short of a miracle imo.

It's all about reducing the spread as much as possible to reduce the burden on the health system, buying time until a vaccine is found. Prior to then, if we somehow went down to zero cases with zero new infections for a fortnight, that'd be nothing short of a miracle imo.

Yeah basically what I'm asking is, are they prepared for months of shutdown? Do people understand this isn't a two week thing, it's not a oh we get through school holidays we will be right.

This is going to be months.

Yeah basically what I'm asking is, are they prepared for months of shutdown? Do people understand this isn't a two week thing, it's not a oh we get through school holidays we will be right.

If people listen to what the PM, state premiers, medical authorities are saying, the extended shutdown should come as no surprise. If people go on their own opinion or what a mate thinks, they're going to be bitterly disappointed.

Social distancing? Sure. But shutting society down? It simply can't be months. I'm not naive enough to believe April 12 will be the end of it. I understand the severity of the situation, but the ramifications of simply "shutting down" for "months" are almost unfathomable in my mind. We'd be trading one pandemic (viral) for another (mental health). I'm sure most of you have seen the lines snaking out of Centrelink. People are sh*tscared for their livelihood more than their health.

Social distancing? Sure. But shutting society down? It simply can't be months. I'm not naive enough to believe April 12 will be the end of it. I understand the severity of the situation, but the ramifications of simply "shutting down" for "months" are almost unfathomable in my mind. We'd be trading one pandemic (viral) for another (mental health). I'm sure most of you have seen the lines snaking out of Centrelink. People are sh*tscared for their livelihood more than their health.
While I agree with the premise, I don't think everyone will be locked in a dungeon without so much as a window or a phone line for the next six months.

We can still connect with work colleagues and classmates via the internet, forums, socials, email etc. I've also heard of neighbourhoods that all go on their balconies and play music together at a certain time each day in Italy, or who have set up a WhatsApp group for everyone in their street so that they can provide each other with moral support (and perhaps drop off groceries or whatever is permissible under the current situation). Social distancing doesn't have to mean social isolation.

Counselling services should also continue to be available, though they may be held over the phone depending on how things evolve.

It'll take a while for people to set things up for their local areas, and if someone has lost their job and live alone they could be quite isolated, which would be difficult. If we reach out and support each other in whatever way we still can, we should be able to avoid the worst case scenario. But yeah. It'll be RU OK year I think.

While I agree with the premise, I don't think everyone will be locked in a dungeon without so much as a window or a phone line for the next six months.

We can still connect with work colleagues and classmates via the internet, forums, socials, email etc. I've also heard of neighbourhoods that all go on their balconies and play music together at a certain time each day in Italy, or who have set up a WhatsApp group for everyone in their street so that they can provide each other with moral support (and perhaps drop off groceries or whatever is permissible under the current situation). Social distancing doesn't have to mean social isolation.

Counselling services should also continue to be available, though they may be held over the phone depending on how things evolve.

It'll take a while for people to set things up for their local areas, and if someone has lost their job and live alone they could be quite isolated, which would be difficult. If we reach out and support each other in whatever way we still can, we should be able to avoid the worst case scenario. But yeah. It'll be RU OK year I think.

I'm definitely all with you there. I was just at my gym (which is a small business ran by a couple of guys, this isn't your fitness first/anytime) they're letting members borrow equipment during the time we can't go during shutdown. I've never seen one of the owners so gutted, he feels "like his soul is being ripped out". He relies on regular member revenue, which for the most part is a tap that's being turned off. So I'm a little raw right now I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queensland borders now closed. Schools remain open. Baffles me.

Queensland borders now closed. Schools remain open. Baffles me.
I think that's the same in some of the other states, WA and SA? Victoria is the reverse, schools 'closed' and borders 'open'.

I honestly prefer this 'states taking the lead' model anyway. The state governments for the most part have been pretty decent at responding to emergencies when left to themselves. Their response to this particular issue until yesterday had been completely at odds with their previous actions in regard to bushfires, floods, cyclones, dense and persistent smoke haze, flooding, etc.

It's understandable with a global crisis that the response should be led at a national level, at least with regard to borders and quarantine of international travellers, but this is beyond that now and it looks like the national government is ill-equipped to make and enforce decisions in the timely manner required anyway. Simply too much data from too many corners of the country with different needs to really respond to it all.

That and the PM has about as much judgement and charisma as a dead goldfish. It's hard to lead when you can't communicate clearly and effectively.

That's harsh on dead goldfish.

What a dickhead and an a-hole. Good reason to boycott the smug w***er's stores
I didn't realise, but the excerpt in that tweet missed a bit. Apparently this is a retail opportunity for him, sale of freezers are up 300%, sale of air sanitisers up some other percentage, etc.

There are a lot of good memes around lately.

My favourite was a comment that I may or may not have shared somewhere here already:

We didn't want to shake Morrison's hand, now no one can shake hands.
We didn't like it when he took an international holiday, now on one can take international holidays.
We called him an a-hole, now no one can wipe their a-hole.

A word to the wise - don't get yourself a regular old cold or flu just now.

You will be excluded and made to self-isolate, but you won't actually qualify for any of the support that is offered to those who are actually at high risk of having covid-19. :unamused:

A word to the wise - don't get yourself a regular old cold or flu just now.

You will be excluded and made to self-isolate, but you won't actually qualify for any of the support that is offered to those who are actually at high risk of having covid-19. :unamused:

I'm just sending all my staff to work from home so even if i get the corona I can just sit in my office and watch the centrelink queue a few doors down.

That would be just amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back