News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

Feel free to articulate what you are actually saying then.

DRUnIgCWkAEre1M.jpg

Why is Australia worrying about 14 day quarantine when you are travelling from state to state - You are better to ask for a negative COVID 19 test - Hubs are being investigated by all domestic sporting leagues throughout the world, though they can be tricky to organise - There may never be a vaccine for COVID 19, so you'll end up with no crowds at sporting events or the like, which mean will mean the end of professional sport - Gee sport was played during the 1918/1919 Spanish Flu plague.

Isn't one of the issues that early on you can be infected, but not yet symptomatic or shedding the virus for a test to detect? Thus the 14 day quarantine allows time for the virus to be present if you've been exposed to it, with the additional byproduct of saving tests.

A negative two days ago isn't a negative today, which is one of the problems with this.

No there isn’t plenty of evidence at all.
In some studies they’ve ceased using it as causing heart problems

What does this have to do with clinical evidence from doctors in the States?

By the way there is nothing novel about chloroquine. It's been around for so long now that it's off patent. The novelty surrounds its effectiveness as part of a treatment for COVID-19. Chloroquine has to be used with zinc to be an effective treatment for C19. I have no idea how it's supposed to be used to treat malaria.

Your source there is probably more concerned with trying to prove that Trump is trying to increase the value of his $400 worth of shares in a chloroquine manufacturer (when there is no money in it because it is now off patent).

Last edited:
What does this have to do with clinical evidence from doctors in the States?
What clinical evidence from the US? Highly speculative that Trump seized on and has now caused a shortage to arthritis sufferers. The man is a walking disaster

Feel free to articulate what you are actually saying then.

I already have. There are many questions still to be answered over what we're dealing with. The noise from the mass media on one hand and conspiracy theorists on the other has drowned out the reality that these lockdowns were done on the basis of assumptions that have not been proven to be true, and the studies being done currently on the real fatality rate of the virus indicate that there is still a signficant likelihood that it will be far, far lower than those first assumptions.

If that turns out to be the case, there would be no reason to wait for a vaccine which may never come anyway.

Your argument is a feedback loop. It is precisely because of the restrictions that we have avoided what’s occurred in Europe and the US.

Even if the real fatality rate is much lower than the 3ish% figures commonly bandied around, they are still going to be much higher than the flu for example. This is SARS-lite in some ways (lethality wise) and SARS on steroids (in terms of its ability to silently spread) in other ways; that’s not a good combination.

Your argument is a feedback loop. It is precisely because of the restrictions that we have avoided what’s occurred in Europe and the US.

Your statement about what has happened in Europe and US are also based on faulty assumptions. It is known and has been stated by health department officials in multiple governments that a majority of "coronavirus deaths" are not actually directly linked to the virus. Furthermore, that is an unfalsifiable statement - you cannot actually prove what would've happened had there been no restrictions, although Sweden is currently making a decent case for taking less restrictions.

Even if the real fatality rate is much lower than the 3ish% figures commonly bandied around, they are still going to be much higher than the flu for example. This is SARS-lite in some ways (lethality wise) and SARS on steroids (in terms of its ability to silently spread) in other ways; that’s not a good combination.

Are they? How do you know? If only a fraction of "Coronavirus deaths" are actually from the virus, what would that say about its deadliness?

As Bonce says, this is the football thread, and my primary point here is simply that there is a possibility that it will be okay to have large crowds together in the not too distant future, entirely without any supposed vaccine (bear in mind that a vaccine does not exist for SARS yet, and that came out 17 years ago - are we going to 'lockdown' for a decade?). Speaking generally, it is stunning to see people not even willing to bring themselves to consider that eventuality, when there is a real chance of it taking place.

Everyone just cheer up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is known and has been stated by health department officials in multiple governments that a majority of "coronavirus deaths" are not actually directly linked to the virus.

Which countries? Italy, Spain, France, UK and the US are and have been swamped with sick people over crowding ICUs and an unprecedented number of deaths, but they’re not directly linked with corona?

0.026% of the Australian population has a confirmed test result, what are the odds they're an Essendon supporter, on BigFooty, reading this thread?

I believe Chief has said he knows people with it, and there's been a few posters elsewhere who've mentioned relatives overseas having it.

0.026% of the Australian population has a confirmed test result, what are the odds they're an Essendon supporter, on BigFooty, reading this thread?

I believe Chief has said he knows people with it, and there's been a few posters elsewhere who've mentioned relatives overseas having it.
Is it better or worse than lottery odds?

Forum has what, 100k members? So potentially 26 have had it on proportion.

There’s a few posters I wouldn’t object to catching it... 🤔

Given probably a decent proportion of this sites users would be in the lower risk age ranges it wouldn't surprise if a number had caught it and never knew because they either developed no or minimal symptoms.

One of the reasons is the broader message that it sends to Australians. Some will take it as, if it's ok for the nrl to play games, then it's ok for me to catch up with friends, not follow social distancing, do what I normally want to do.

I think as long as it is communicated properly it should be OK.

If things are explained properly then it works, its only an optics thing, and if communicated properly that can be alleviated.
They are isolated, there is nothing coming in or going out of this "hub" its like an isolated community. This can work as there is no longer a health danger to those players and staff, and the economic benefits for players, clubs, the sport itself are enormous. They all get tested going in, two weeks of isolation there, tested repeatedly and if no positives and they have gotten everyone in without carrying the virus then you play. Take what other precautions you want.

It is different from the general public as they are not confined, they are isolating because they are coming into contact with different people, at different locations and this thing is out there in that community and that is how this spreads.

I understand the reluctance as May 28 does seem very early, but there will be a time when society has to get on with things otherwise a lot more people are going to be hurt by the crippling recession we are going to have. There comes a time when you need to start focusing on getting things back up and running, we have massive business's on deaths door because of cash flow issues.
People smacking organisations for "moral, vibe and the look" type reasons are foolish quite frankly, you can both have empathy and care about a crisis but also try and run your business to spare people losing jobs etc, it is a crisis on two fronts. I'm not saying fly in the face of health, this isn't a take one side at the expense of the other type argument. Do it right, do it safely, but actually do something, because the alternative is your sport/company dies.

UFC is the perfect example. You have a sport with a minimum number of actual participants and you can bare bones the entire operation. Yet they cant get approved to hold events anywhere. Why? If everyone is healthy (not having the virus) and there is no risk to public safety, why can they not run their business?
I understand the argument not JUST yet, as to keep people from throwing their hands up and saying but they are!!
But even that falls short. You can play golf currently, why is that? If the above reasons are not good enough to let these businesses try and run, why can you play golf? (certain places, not a uniform ban)

Very encouraging signs here across the last week or so. A few days with zero cases, a few with only 1 or 2 and no community transmission amongst those.

On Thursday they opened up testing to anyone who had a sniffle, head ache, sore throat etc, not leaving it only to those that have travelled or their close contacts. About 4000 people were tested across Thursday and Friday with nothing coming back positive to date.

Such an interesting discussion! New to Big Footy and nice to know how the other half lives. I actually live in NYC (otherwise known as the center of contagion), and we are starting our 10th week of quarantine. Restrictions have been extended for another month so I'll still be in iso when season starts.

Such an interesting discussion! New to Big Footy and nice to know how the other half lives. I actually live in NYC (otherwise known as the center of contagion), and we are starting our 10th week of quarantine. Restrictions have been extended for another month so I'll still be in iso when season starts.
Welcome aboard AFL Obsessed! How did you get interested in AFL? And more importantly Essendon?!?! :)

Welcome aboard AFL Obsessed! How did you get interested in AFL? And more importantly Essendon?!?! :)

Hi and thanks for the welcome! My boyfriend showed me a snippet of the game in 2016 and I started seriously watching in late May 2017! I love the Bombers so much and can't imagine life without them! I have my international membership too 🔴⚫

Remove this Banner Ad

Back