News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Common sense seems to have prevailed:

Either way don't mind tbh, at least someone in this bloody state would be out there having some fun.

I mean, it's not like we'd flip our lid if we saw Eddie at a Collingwood game played here COVID style.

748A385B-D96C-45D7-8BFE-E2E2A10E8980.jpeg

Decided to make use of the 25km limit... there are a LOT of people not wearing their masks properly though. Like probably 30% are wearing it properly.

Lots with their noses hanging out or the mask pulled down under their chins 🙄 some with exhalation filters, fair few just not wearing one at all.

Max Headroom

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2014
Off with the fairies
AFL Club
Essendon
I was having a second try at reading this article on why Vitamin D could have a protective effect against COVID-19. There was a lot of technical jargon and I started to skim again as I lost the thread, then one word jumped out at me and I was happy - I knew that word!

See below:
“From a mechanistic angle, there are good reasons to postulate that vitamin D favourably modulates host responses to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), both in the early viraemic and later hyperinflammatory phases of COVID-19. Vitamin D metabolites have long been known to support innate antiviral effector mechanisms, including induction of antimicrobial peptides and autophagy”

:oops::mad:

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I was having a second try at reading this article on why Vitamin D could have a protective effect against COVID-19. There was a lot of technical jargon and I started to skim again as I lost the thread, then one word jumped out at me and I was happy - I knew that word!

See below:
“From a mechanistic angle, there are good reasons to postulate that vitamin D favourably modulates host responses to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), both in the early viraemic and later hyperinflammatory phases of COVID-19. Vitamin D metabolites have long been known to support innate antiviral effector mechanisms, including induction of antimicrobial peptides and autophagy”

:oops::mad:

Dank ahead of the curve on flattening the curve.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Surely SA would want more than 3k tests yesterday?
I think it's a matter of being caught on the hop. No cases for months then cases out of nowhere. Testing facilities despite not closing, weren't ready for the sudden influx.

Heard they scaled up with more popups today and got through double.

Interesting times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Typical ******* SA. Always 6 months behind Vic. Watch out, WA will be in lockdown in 2022.

6 days.... weird length for a lockdown, I fully expect it to go longer.
They are saying that the incubation period for this particular strain of the virus is only 3 days (compared to up to 14 days for the more common strain) and that is one of the reasons a shorter lockdown is possible.

They are saying that the incubation period for this particular strain of the virus is only 3 days (compared to up to 14 days for the more common strain) and that is one of the reasons a shorter lockdown is possible.
that is ******* ridiculous!

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yeah I get that, it's just a quantum shift in approach to anything we've seen, hence hard to see us coming good so quick. Good luck to us if it works out though.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I think they’re doing 6 harsh days lockdown, then 8 days of yet to be announced restrictions. So 14 days all up.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
oh sorry - no, the thought that there is a strain of 3 days incubation Vs 14 incubation is ridiculous. That kind of thinking will end badly.
Nicola Spurrier won't * around. If the lockdown needs to be extended it will be. She only cares about peoples lives, if the 3 day thing is disproven then we'll be home longer.

What has sent us into lockdown is the infectious guy working at a pizza bar. Potentially every pizza sold including the cardboard boxes could be carrying the virus and the spread has the potential to go far and wide, especially if a 3 day incubation period.

Nicola Spurrier won't fu** around. If the lockdown needs to be extended it will be. She only cares about peoples lives, if the 3 day thing is disproven then we'll be home longer.

What has sent us into lockdown is the infectious guy working at a pizza bar. Potentially every pizza sold including the cardboard boxes could be carrying the virus and the spread has the potential to go far and wide, especially if a 3 day incubation period.
yeah sorry bro, I'm just an ignorant Victorian who has been in a hard lock down for the last 6 months. Apologies - I'm speaking out of line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back