News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

you know renowned board tinfoiler and all that. although I've been superseeded of late

I dunno, i'm not saying we have been sold a turkey as such, but the media (and to an extent the government), when we were at our lowest ebb, locked down, in the depths of a pandemic despair kind of dangled the notion in front of us that the vaccine will be our savior. From there people who were distraught, locked away and desperate for normality grabbed onto the hope that we can all go back to normal and travel and party like normal once the magic vaccine arrives.

anytime you'd chat with someone - oh its ok, the vaccine will be here soon

I'm just not sure it's going to do any (or some) of that - it's no magic bullet.

Sure it may stop the vulnerable from dying - thats a tick, but its not going to make anyone who has had the jab any less able to carry and pass on the virus so in that respect it may even be more dangerous because someone might say ok, ive been jabbed, no mask for me, i can do as i want im now bullet proof.

We still have to exercise common etiquette like washing hands, covering mouth when coughing .....(which is frighteningly uncommon)

I guess i kind of look at it like the flu jab, it never stops the flu from ravaging winter, people still get the flu - but it does stop vulnerable people from dying, hence the vulnerable take it.

That said, i think ive got a very robust immune system, i eat well, im rarely sick. (i hardly go out in public) I dont think i need it at this point in time - if i need to keep wearing a mask on a train to work, so be it.

If in time results come in to say its is the magic bullet ill revist.

I know theres nothing people hate more than an Antivaxxer who thinks he knows more than the scientists and is jeopardising herd immunity so i know this is just an opinion i hold, and im immunised otherwise.. but i'm happy that we still have a choice in this matter and ill exercise it while i can.

how bout yourself
I'm happy to line up. I'm not expecting it to be a magic bullet by my partner works in healthcare so anything I can do that reduces my odds of getting it that in turn reduces her odds is something I'm willing to do.

If in time results come in to say its is the magic bullet ill revist.
This is a bizarre end take given what you've explained in your post.
Correct, vaccinated people can still carry the virus. For it to be most effective, you need as many people as possible to be vaccinated.

It only works if a lot of people take it. So it's weird to say "yeah well people can still carry it and give it to people who aren't vaccinated so I'm not going to get it until it's working".

At the end of the day it sounds like it’s not the virus we’re focused on, it’s the disease. If the virus still exists but doesn’t make anyone who has been vaccinated seriously sick with permanent organ damage or worse then that’s the main thing.

If the virus can still spread with the vaccine then I don’t know what that means for immune compromised people though.

Getting it or not isn’t something I’ve really thought about too much. I’m nowhere near the priority rollout groups so I probably won’t be able to get it until late in the year or next year, I suppose.

At the end of the day it sounds like it’s not the virus we’re focused on, it’s the disease. If the virus still exists but doesn’t make anyone who has been vaccinated seriously sick with permanent organ damage or worse then that’s the main thing.

If the virus can still spread with the vaccine then I don’t know what that means for immune compromised people though.

Getting it or not isn’t something I’ve really thought about too much. I’m nowhere near the priority rollout groups so I probably won’t be able to get it until late in the year or next year, I suppose.
In theory I think their rolling it out to everyone who wants it by October. I might have my countries confused though.

In theory I think their rolling it out to everyone who wants it by October. I might have my countries confused though.
I expect I’ll get it then, then. I have questions as do a lot of people but I expect that will be cleared up by the time we get there.

I expect I’ll get it then, then. I have questions as do a lot of people but I expect that will be cleared up by the time we get there.
Its being rolled out around the world already with nobody turning into the Walking Dead yet. I take comfort in that.

Its being rolled out around the world already with nobody turning into the Walking Dead yet. I take comfort in that.
I’m more thinking along the lines of thalidomide.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
This is a bizarre end take given what you've explained in your post.
Correct, vaccinated people can still carry the virus. For it to be most effective, you need as many people as possible to be vaccinated.

It only works if a lot of people take it. So it's weird to say "yeah well people can still carry it and give it to people who aren't vaccinated so I'm not going to get it until it's working".

i didn't quite say i'm not going to get it until it's working - i said ill revisit when more is known; (success rate or side effects) what I meant, which lore more eloquently put than me was; I have questions as do a lot of people but I expect that will be cleared up by the time we get there.

I'll be so far down the queue that much more will be known, my stand now is pretty much non-relevant but im not busting the door down to jump any queues when there are far more vulnerable folk than i

I’m more thinking along the lines of thalidomide.
The testing regimes are much more efficient these days because of Thalidomide. It serves as the poster child that no government would ever want to happen again.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon

the data on that roll out was confusing to say the least

the press release states from the end of feb 80,000 vaccines will be rolled out each week, with the entire public vaccinated by october.

But my maths tells me there are 36 weeks from end of feb til end of oct

36 x 80,000 = about the population of Brisname, not Australia

the press release states from the end of feb 80,000 vaccines will be rolled out each week, with the entire public vaccinated by october.

That roll out figure will increase per week.

They’re not vaccinating children or immunocompromised unless a doctor says they need it, so it won’t be the entire population anyway.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon

This is... unexpected. She's not wrong, she certainly has been the first to point out Vic failures etc, made the press conferences almost unlistenable at times with the repeating gotcha questions.

And now here she is. 🤔

^ I'm staying out of the politics thread and try to avoid politics discussion as a rule, but how the * can Morrison use $600 million in unallocated funds to build a ******* gas -electricity plant that we don't really need in the Hunter Valley while 17 government run aged care facilities in Victoria have not had one jab yet and no businesses in Victoria will receive any government support due to all of the above *-ups. I'm also blown away that we are still quarantining in hotels that don't have suitable ventilation despite expert advice that the virus is airborne.

Again it will be small business shouldering the burden.

It is a good thing I can't go to Bunnings because I would be up there buying a pitchfork so I can sharpen the mother*er up.

Also, suffice to say that Tim Smith is a ******* too.

Back