Preview Essendon Bombers v Sydney Swans Saturday 6th July @ MCG 1:45 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got his ACL injury 18 months ago. That is a huge amount of time considering I don't think there have been many complications. For a big man a good turn around for an ACL is 10 months.

There have been complications which has delayed his return. He had an athroscopic surgery on his injured knee in March/April which set him back.

Inb4 AA becomes our athletic dynamo who can play anywhere on the ground. Legit he showed his athleticism in his play after ruck taps. Keep going with Allir Allir as our small but athletic ruck.

View attachment 700463

The Dark Side of the AFL : Season 19 Episode 16

Documentary of the dark side of footy continues this week featuring the horribly named Blood stained (nope) v The Blood stained Angels

Two sides soaked in controversy every time they play with last episode being no execption.................TBC

Will finish this when sober in the meantime feel free to discuss.

Now that's pretty ****** funny

Screw it. Don't care if he has not played a game, but it is time Naismith put on the boots. Play him for ltd minutes.

against the dons, a quick side, will expose him

Aliir had 4 centre bounce clearances today, that's a very impressive stat. He won't win many hitouts but what he brings is his second efforts when the ball hits the ground. The only concern is that we will miss his intercept play in defence but we should be able to handle Essendon's talls without Daniher. Mills also playing much better as an interceptor in the last 2 weeks helps in this regard.
It looks as though Knoll may play earlier than Pyke did Grim.;)

Gotta stick with Aliir in the ruck. His play after the ruck contest is really valuable and without Bellchambers in for Essendon, they won't have a particularly excellent ruck option themselves.

Menzel in, McCartin stays down back and Aliir is the number one with Reid spelling him.

The number 1 reason Grundy is the footballer he is. Everybody wants the ruckman who takes contested marks around the ground and granted Grundy does that as well but the follow up after the ruck contest is Pure Gold in a ruckman especially an athletic one.

I think we keep Aliir in the ruck. He won’t win the hitouts but hitouts are just a means to an end (clearances), and his second efforts and breakaway speed should be a more effective contributor to clearances than any other rucks we have on offer.

Question is, how to we structure? I think there’s a good argument for Thurlow down back, McCartin forward again. We’ll be a bit small but helps cover Aliir’s intercept marking.

Alternatively, Fox up forward, McCartin stays back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance Naismith might play another game this side of eternity?
The 3 year contract extension ensures he comes close! Would rather have patience than risk a repeat injury...not at it can’t happen anytime.

Maybe the footy Gods are on our side. Sinclair goes down and we come up against a side whose number one ruck also went down.

I would like to see us roll the dice on young Hayden McLean this week. His NEAFL form isn’t dominant, but he’s still been impressive. McLean, Aliir and McCartin could have somewhat of a rotation going on. McCartin plays back while Aliir rucks and McLean plays forward. Then McLean rucks and Aliir can help out down back. Just gives us some options and the luxury of flexibility in an otherwise shoddy situation. I also can’t see McLean getting a better debut opportunity than against a spud like Zac Clarke.

IN - McLean
OUT - Sinclair

Surely we play Knoll? If we think a semi competent ruck in Aliir will do a good job we'd be better with a semi competent Aliir & Knoll sharing the ruck?

Agree. It is a bad time for Cameron to be injured. He would have been a walk up start for this game.

McLean showed a bit in the 2s yesterday but he is more kpp sized. Has a strong body for a youngster but worry about throwing him to the wolves.

The Dopers' ruck stocks are on bare bones just as ours are. If we play Knoll he should dominate the buyouts but will otherwise do sfa. We may have to play him.

For those envisaging AA bearing the load I have a word of caution. He is too small and has zip technique. Worse he looks like an injury waiting to happen. He plays like an old ruck rover, great when the ball hits the ground. I watched the Weasels game yesterday and enjoyed NicNat's 2nd and 3rd efforts when the ball was in dispute in a clearance. AA was similar but I freak when I see him going up against a bloke 10cm and 15kg heavier.

The Dopers' will likely play McKernan as an undersized ruck. He will dominate whoever we play. I am tempted to play a similarly sized McLean in a quasi tagging role.

Surely we play Knoll? If we think a semi competent ruck in Aliir will do a good job we'd be better with a semi competent Aliir & Knoll sharing the ruck?

Agree. It is a bad time for Cameron to be injured. He would have been a walk up start for this game.

McLean showed a bit in the 2s yesterday but he is more kpp sized. Has a strong body for a youngster but worry about throwing him to the wolves.

The Dopers' ruck stocks are on bare bones just as ours are. If we play Knoll he should dominate the buyouts but will otherwise do sfa. We may have to play him.

For those envisaging AA bearing the load I have a word of caution. He is too small and has zip technique. Worse he looks like an injury waiting to happen. He plays like an old ruck rover, great when the ball hits the ground. I watched the Weasels game yesterday and enjoyed NicNat's 2nd and 3rd efforts when the ball was in dispute in a clearance. AA was similar but I freak when I see him going up against a bloke 10cm and 15kg taller.

It would not surprise me if we played McClean. He is fairly mobile and can take a mark up forward. Then if he starts to struggle leave him in the forward line and play Aliir/Reid in the ruck.

I think they will select one of Knoll/McClean/Amarty/Fox with expectations that they will share the load with Aliir/Reid rather than be expected to ruck as much as Sinclair would.

It seems the options are:

1. Straight swap Knoll in for Sinclair
2. Thurlow plays in defence, Aliir stays in the ruck and McCartin plays forward (who knows, could Pink be in the frame?)
3. McLean/Amartey plays 2nd ruck/KPF, Aliir stays in the ruck and McCartin plays in defence (allows Reid to play a full game at FF)
4. Menzel/Fox plays forward, Aliir stays in the ruck and McCartin plays in defence (potentially allows Reid to play at FF as Fox has rucked before)

This would be a fun selection committee to be in this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back