Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gryan Miers

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Charlie Spargo

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

At the bottom of the draft tracker on the AFL website, it has a "show full list of nominations button. Will give you the comprehensive list. Go through and have a squiz at that now

And for my own two cents Don, here's a few names I would like us to consider in the rookie draft;

Kade Answerth, Noah Answerth, Bailey Banfield, Brett Bewley, Aaron Darling, Matt Day, Aidan Domic, Stefan Giro, Mitch Grigg, Tyler Keitel, Nathan Kreuger, Hayden McClean, Trent Mynot, Nick O'Kearney, Cassidy Parish, Jake Ricardi, Hayden Schloithe, Kieran Strachan, Eli Templeton

Throw a dart at one of these guys and I would be happy

watching some Houlahan highlights. He looks prime to take advantage of our haphazard inside 50 kicking
So ill cede the point.

looks a big kick too.

And has played a lot of midfield in the SANFL Colts so despite him coming in as a small forward with a little X factor midfield is not foreign to him.

Ultimately I'm happy Worpel was taken before us. As much as we need extractors I'm not sure he'll be much more than a Craig Bird.

So a 157 game premiership player from pick 49 or wherever we ended up picking from would be considered a bad result ?
No not a star. Last 3 seasons not a lot going on but from his first year in 2008 until he got injured in 2015 he was a regular in a good midfield that played finals a lot of those years.

And has played a lot of midfield in the SANFL Colts so despite him coming in as a small forward with a little X factor midfield is not foreign to him.
initially i was worried we grabbed ourselves another Hardingham. Great leap and mark but not a lot of anything else.
His boot looks like a weapon.
Looking forward to VFL Rd1 next year to see Lavender, Houlahan and Guelfi.
Z-T im still researching. Looks like a project to replace Hurley.
2018 sounds like we're going KPF or mid.

So a 157 game premiership player from pick 49 or wherever we ended up picking from would be considered a bad result ?
No not a star. Last 3 seasons not a lot going on but from his first year in 2008 until he got injured in 2015 he was a regular in a good midfield that played finals a lot of those years.

He was Ben Howlett in the right place at the right time, playing a lesser role. We need star inside mids not role players making up the numbers.

He was Ben Howlett in the right place at the right time, playing a lesser role. We need star inside mids not role players making up the numbers.
Heppell, Zaka, Goddard, Langford, Laverde. We've got them. Im not too fussed on the inside mids.
Im a little surprised we passed a kid with perfect kicking (Miller), speed and agility and plays either end as a KP.
Hooker is getting on and we needed a KPF that is less of a project.

So Richmond should move on all the B grade players that helped their side win a GF ?
We are talking about a pick close to 50. You take a B grader who can play 150 games every time at 50 every year if you could.
He was a better player than Howlett in his prime.
I know we need great another very good / star midfielder but you still have to take the best you can. Worpel would have been that player.

Heppell, Zaka, Goddard, Langford, Laverde. We've got them. Im not too fussed on the inside mids.
Im a little surprised we passed a kid with perfect kicking (Miller), speed and agility and plays either end as a KP.
Hooker is getting on and we needed a KPF that is less of a project.

Miller is still a big project with his kicking being the advantage he has over BZT. Would not say he was a perfect kick but will say he kicks it a long way very easily. The speed and agility are his biggest current assets.

Miller is still a big project with his kicking being the advantage he has over BZT. Would not say he was a perfect kick but will say he kicks it a long way very easily. The speed and agility are his biggest current assets.
Reminded me of the player the Dogs tried to turn Stringer into. Big kicking mobile tall.
I thought he was a good smokey. Get him into the VFL for 2 years to work on game development and reap the rewards when the flag window is gonna be open. Im really surprised Freo didn't jump on him.

Ill stand corrected on Houlahan. he looks a talent, but i don't see the need. I know a lot of people say you go best available, but we've got a lot of this type on the list.
But then there's a reason i'm not a list manager. I imagine Dodoro has Hooker's age in mind and Lavender and Draper are options here. As is the 2018 draft.
If he can bring that high leap and marking to AFL, he may well be a good weapon for us. We tend to bomb away as it is. Might work in his favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i like the picks....but would of liked the club to have picked some inside mids.....north,moore are some names we could of got but didnt.....anyway ill back them in:)

Last edited:
So Richmond should move on all the B grade players that helped their side win a GF ?
We are talking about a pick close to 50. You take a B grader who can play 150 games every time at 50 every year if you could.
He was a better player than Howlett in his prime.
I know we need great another very good / star midfielder but you still have to take the best you can. Worpel would have been that player.

Not at all but they shouldn't pick them if they believed they were better options available. I'd prefer to take the risk on a potential A grade prospect than a safe B grader. Especially with the midfield in the state its in.

The reason Bird was a better player in his prime was because he was surrounded by ball winning stars. A bit like how Lambert looked like delist potential last year when his midfield wasn't firing and a stud in the finals.

I agree with this. If Bird was a good player he would not have struggled to get a game this year and then been dumped.

He was good enough to play a role in a side. Like Howlett he could just as easily spent 5 years on a list to play 50 games.

Neither is a player I would be satisfied with recruiting.

I didn't expect Orazio to be the player he is.
Let's wait and see.
I'm happy with picks.
Guelfi can kick it a long way! That stood out for me.

Not at all but they shouldn't pick them if they believed they were better options available. I'd prefer to take the risk on a potential A grade prospect than a safe B grader. Especially with the midfield in the state its in.

The reason Bird was a better player in his prime was because he was surrounded by ball winning stars. A bit like how Lambert looked like delist potential last year when his midfield wasn't firing and a stud in the finals.

B grade? 28 year old B graders don't play 1 game in a season in which they are fully fit and then get de-listed.

Bird is a D grader who got lucky as is Howlett.

I agree with this. If Bird was a good player he would not have struggled to get a game this year and then been dumped.

He was good enough to play a role in a side. Like Howlett he could just as easily spent 5 years on a list to play 50 games.

Neither is a player I would be satisfied with recruiting.

Come on Bruno. Every club has B and C grade players. Very few clubs have a side without them. Forget about Bird at the end. Everyone runs out of gas at some stage. Bird in his time was a good B grader. The Swans got 100 or so good games out of him. If you could take a player who will be a 150 game B grade inside midfielder who was no star but could play his role at any pick after 50 you would take it every year.

He was a good player because he played his role. His last 3 seasons where D grade yes but the rest was good and it had nothing to do with him being in a side with good players. It was because he was good enough to get into the side and play the role they wanted him to.

Come on Bruno. Every club has B and C grade players. Very few clubs have a side without them. Forget about Bird at the end. Everyone runs out of gas at some stage. Bird in his time was a good B grader. The Swans got 100 or so good games out of him. If you could take a player who will be a 150 game B grade inside midfielder who was no star but could play his role at any pick after 50 you would take it every year.

It's a strange debate to be having because of the way in which things ended. I don't see how we could be happy with the recruitment of a player we would never play just because a carbon copy was able to be a functioning part of a side in a different era of football.

Yes, you'd take the career but Bird is a bad example now because he would never play for us.

It's a strange debate to be having because of the way in which things ended. I don't see how we could be happy with the recruitment of a player we would never play just because a carbon copy was able to be a functioning part of a side in a different era of football.

Yes, you'd take the career but Bird is a bad example now because he would never play for us.

I will make it easy, Bird was mentioned by but the argument is more before the draft would you take player X at pick 45-55 if you knew he would not be top shelf but play 150 games in 7 or 8 seasons and be a good B grade player ?

Red Black and Blue said he did not rate Worpel and compared him to Bird or Howlett, my point was Bird played 150 games. The percentage of players picked after 45 in the draft that play 150 games is not high. If a young Craig Bird came along in this years draft his best would be good enough to play AFL footy. I do not see how you would say he at his best he would not play. He would. Sadly we did not see anything close to his best.

I will make it easy, Bird was mentioned by but the argument is more before the draft would you take player X at pick 45-55 if you knew he would not be top shelf but play 150 games in 7 or 8 seasons and be a good B grade player ?

Red Black and Blue said he did not rate Worpel and compared him to Bird or Howlett, my point was Bird played 150 games. The percentage of players picked after 45 in the draft that play 150 games is not high. If a young Craig Bird came along in this years draft his best would be good enough to play AFL footy. I do not see how you would say he at his best he would not play. He would. Sadly we did not see anything close to his best.

Sorry, it's strange because we know so much about Bird and the game has gone so far past him (and Howlett) that he has been cut while still arguably in his prime. We don't usually know so much about a player in this type of scenario (i.e. he's not usually a player on our list de-listed at this point).

I definitely accept that good sides are made up of role players. I'm just saying that Bird the individual is not an AFL standard role player and that if we look back on the last few years of his career the game past him a long time ago.

So ultimately, no, I would not want a Howlett or a Bird because at best they'll hang around long enough to clog a lost. There are much more effective role players out there. Worpel may well have been one for us.

Last edited:
Sorry, it's strange because we know so much about Bird and the game has gone so far past him (and Howlett) that he has been cut while still arguably in his prime. We don't usually know so much about a player in this type of scenario (i.e. he's not usually a player on our list de-listed at this point).

I definitely accept that good sides are made up of role players. I'm just saying that Bird the individual is not an AFL standard role player and that if we look back on the last few years of his career the game past him a long time ago.

So ultimately, no, I would not want a Howlett or a Bird because at best they'll hang around long enough to clog a lost. There are much more effective role players out there. Worpel may well have been one for us.

Ant is not referring to Bird the player - He's referring to the concept of a pick 49, playing 157 games - This concept could apply to any style of player.

Last edited:

Forget Bird who by the way is not in his prime. In fact he has struggled since he got injured in 2015.He may only be around 28 but his best footy was 4 seasons ago. But that is not the story.

My comment was simply about taking a B grade player at around pick 50 if you knew he would play 150 games.

Back