Essendon Drugs Case Makes Govt Form National Sports Integrity Commiss

Remove this Banner Ad

Catoggio76

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...g/news-story/5856a2b10ad6aae555a416d68e316973

AFL footballers who test positive to illicit drugs such as ice, cocaine and ecstasy would be scrutinised by a new, anti-corruption watchdog under changes proposed by a federal government commissioned review of the integrity of our Australian sport.

The contentious recommendation, if accepted, would set the AFL and its players’ association on a collision course with the proposed National Sports Integrity Commission, a powerful investigations and regulative body intended to lead our national defence against corruption in sport.

Project Aperio, an Australian Crime Commission examination of the links between sport, organised crime and performance enhancing drugs which preceded the so-called, “blackest day in Australian sport’’ and the Essendon and Cronulla drugs scandals, found that illicit and performance enhancing drugs were often supplied to athletes by the same criminals.

The ACC, since renamed the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission, warned that the supply of drugs to athletes was a means for criminals to compromise athletes, infiltrate sport and potentially, manipulate the result of sporting events.

The Wood report, commissioned a year ago by the Turnbull Government and co-authored by former World Anti-Doping Agency director general David Howman and former Racing NSW chief steward Ray Murrihy, runs to 280 pages and makes 52 recommendations.

An AFL spokesperson declined to comment until the AFL had received the report.

CHIP LE GRAND

Last edited:

But they don't have comfy bridge chairs where you can say "engage" from.

One of my first pieces of business would bringing Martin Hardie to account.

Jesus. This is a massive story that will shake the very foundations of this country for years to come. I praise you Cataggio for having the courage to tackle this enormous issue and to spit in the face of God. Go Speed Racer, you're the man now dog.

Its good to see you guys back up and about, in your natural state.

Carlton supporters on Bigfooty performing at the equivalent level of Carlton in 2018. Is Bolton coaching them too?

I just had a vision of him sitting in a big seat with his little legs dangling, trying to reach up for the keyboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about when high level business executives are caught taking drugs? Are they then referred to an integrity commission to check if they have links to organised crime? Are they investigated when they tank their companies share price.

I'm all for integrity in sport but I think we have to remember it's just sport. Olympic athletes have to be heavily regulated because they represent our country on the world stage.

I don't really have an issue with an AFL player getting on the gear in their spare time. Not sure they need to be dragged before a national body.

Was is necessary to have Essendon in the thread tiltle?

*Looks at the top* op by a Carlton fan how typical lols

Collingwood have had more cases, and more players actually suspended than any club.

I do wonder if Eddie would have handled Easendons situation differently.

Collingwood have had more cases, and more players actually suspended than any club.

Must admit this annoys the hell out of me not one Essendon player tested postive and yet those Collingwood players who did test postive didn't cop the same treatment like the Essendon players did.

The whole drug saga was a big joke.

Must admit this annoys the hell out of me not one Essendon player tested postive and yet those Collingwood players who did test postive didn't cop the same treatment like the Essendon players did.

The whole drug saga was a big joke.

Nah, you guys cheated and got caught and we're lucky they only got one year.

But Collingwood have now had three players go for drug stuff, and they manage to skate away with nothing.

What do you mean bull? those Collingwood players didn't have their name and reputations trashed in the media every day when thier suspension is up and they return to play footy no one will bat an eyelid.

Yep, they are treated differently - but as I said, Collingwood handled it very differently from how the Essendon regime at the time did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back