Club Mgmt. Bombers eSports - Licence sold to Pentanet.GG - 2/11

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve raised this before regarding esports, but what’s the strategy here?

How is it different to buying, for example, a soccer club?

Global branding I would assume. An Essendon soccer club in the A-League isn't going to attract any global attention.

Personally the club should have just invested in Bitcoin. Nobody understands the appeal of that either but at least then we could buy the entire AFL.

Should be fun when - Abyss plays against Legacy,
Hopefully, the media pick up on it, Essendon Abyss vs Crows Legacy.
Should be some good opportunity for both Clubs

A good move as it a growing sport and increasing in Popularity and Sponsorship every year.

Global branding I would assume. An Essendon soccer club in the A-League isn't going to attract any global attention.

Personally the club should have just invested in Bitcoin. Nobody understands the appeal of that either but at least then we could buy the entire AFL.

Ok... so there is one global league we’re in? Is that how this works?

I’ve raised this before regarding esports, but what’s the strategy here?

How is it different to buying, for example, a soccer club?

Because soccer is a shithouse investment requiring massive overheads that will likely take decades to pay for themselves - if at all.

"Essendon Football Club’s eSports team will be given the same opportunities as all Bombers at The Hangar.

Chief Marketing Officer Justin Rodski said the new team will use all facilities and resources available at the club.

“We certainly looked at how best to integrate the team into our football club,” Rodski said on SEN Breakfast on Friday morning.

“They’ll be able to access our facilities, our dietician and our high-performance program to enable them to be like any other athlete competing in any other sports club or sports tournament in the world.

“They need to be able to go out and do exercise in the morning, they need to do mental preparation and whatever else they can do to ensure that they’re able to perform at their peak when they’re competing on the weekend."

Not sure how I feel about club funds going to something like this. Are they going to build a special gaming room with high speed internet?

It's bad enough that the male players get forced to fake train (Collingwood) with the female players but are the footballers seriously meant to have an interaction with the esporters who likely don't even like physical sport?

Don't get me wrong I like esports and video games but I follow the Essendon FOOTBALL club not all of its tangents.

"Essendon Football Club’s eSports team will be given the same opportunities as all Bombers at The Hangar.

Chief Marketing Officer Justin Rodski said the new team will use all facilities and resources available at the club.

“We certainly looked at how best to integrate the team into our football club,” Rodski said on SEN Breakfast on Friday morning.

“They’ll be able to access our facilities, our dietician and our high-performance program to enable them to be like any other athlete competing in any other sports club or sports tournament in the world.

“They need to be able to go out and do exercise in the morning, they need to do mental preparation and whatever else they can do to ensure that they’re able to perform at their peak when they’re competing on the weekend."

Not sure how I feel about club funds going to something like this. Are they going to build a special gaming room with high speed internet?

It's bad enough that the male players get forced to fake train (Collingwood) with the female players but are the footballers seriously meant to have an interaction with the esporters who likely don't even like physical sport?

Don't get me wrong I like esports and video games but I follow the Essendon FOOTBALL club not all of its tangents.

Players don't use the facilities 24/7. For every hour of the day that they are not using it, it sits unused unless some other group uses it - such as the VFL and VFLW sides, Paralympic athletes etc.

I have no issue with that, and further, fully support the club making this investment - it is a very smart move.

With a bit of luck it will bring in significantly more revenue than it costs in them using mostly already paid for facilities; a few gaming PCs and high speed internet is a fairly small outlay versus the potential access to sponsors and viewership it opens up just within the esports area itself; add to the additional exposure for the EFC brand and the potential to attract new members, sell merchandise, and other areas of collateral income and they're probably not going to be costing the current members a thing in the near future.

I understand the need to engage new markets, etc but this stuff is a cancer that is the stepping stone for the 'evolution' of 'humanity' into the sterile existence of a virtual/digitised world.

Either that or it ends in dudes boys only being able to maintain relationships with fembots.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

There is 6 degrees of devolution at play here...

Say peak human is to play the sport

Rung down is to watch people play the sport at the ground

Rung down is to watch the sport on your couch on tv

Rung down is to play a video game pretending you are playing the sport

Rung down is to watch people play a video game pretending to play a sport

Rung down is to watch from your couch on tv people watching people pretending to play a sport.

We have gone slot of rungs down in a short time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a cool thing for fans but in terms of Australia esports will never take off. You will probably lose money on this unfortunately

Agreed.

They talk about it globally, but league/other esports are so far off on the global scale in terms of infrastructure and player base. They probably see the big NBA teams investing tens of millions and think it's a good idea but in reality it's no where near close over here

Players don't use the facilities 24/7. For every hour of the day that they are not using it, it sits unused unless some other group uses it - such as the VFL and VFLW sides, Paralympic athletes etc.

I have no issue with that, and further, fully support the club making this investment - it is a very smart move.

OPL is based in Sydney anyway. They would likely rent a house there

so don't participate. It's not aimed at you. Simples

Little bit simplistic to say if you don't like it dont follow it because it doesn't impact you.

We follow the club, their decision to use funds on non football related teams does impact us.

Little bit simplistic to say if you don't like it dont follow it because it doesn't impact you.

We follow the club, their decision to use funds on non football related teams does impact us.

Sure, and honestly I think Essendon members SHOULD cast a critical eye at what the club does.

I do however highly suspect this will be a big, BIG win for the club.

Sure, if you are making an argument that it's a net drain on profit. A poor investment. And given it appears to have gone through a pretty strict diligence and it's a growing industry with a wealth of evidence to suggest it will be a profitable investment I don't think it does. Do you have any reason to think so?

If you don't, ultimately it's a bit trite to say "oh you can't ever question someone questioning the club" when the motivation is pretty clearly more of a "well I don't get it so I don't like it and that's the reason no one else should have it either".

If there's a good reason to question it, question away. Someone not getting it isn't a good reason imo

Yes and no.

I agree that all members have a vested interest in how our club is run.

However, it is an investment in a competition which does not compete with football. It is likely to expand the club's brand and make the club money. Far better than most options the club has.

Do your critiques have any depth beyond not being a fan of online competition?

My critique is quite trivial, I am not a fan of League of Legends as it is a spin-off of the game I like (DotA).

Thanks guys. :)

You’re at peak BigFooty.

If you were a Scientologist, you’d out-Thetan Tom Cruise.

If you were a bigot, you’d hate gays more than Margaret Court.

If you were a Prime Minister, you’d eat more raw onions than Tony Abbott.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back