Club Focus Essendon - Essendon's drafting since 1998 under Adrian Dodoro

Ambrosia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure why Stringer keeps copping criticism. Has been a solid contributor with flashes of brilliance since having a poor start to the year. Stringers recruitment was also never about 2018 given the turmoil he faced last year it was more about just getting back to footy.

It's hard not to be excited to see what he can do when he gets to play a full season alongside Daniher and Fantasia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
You got an end of 1st round back in 14 so the many lost draft picks ended up at 2. If that is his get out of jail free card then he is a very lucky man.

How many years has this list been the most promising? Finishing 11th is a big fail.
With Daniher effectively out the whole year? Plus Fantasia missed a lot of games as well.

Imagine North this season with our draw and no Brown or Ziebell? Would’ve been bottom four.

Our first rounders Langford, Parish, McGrath and Francis all shown improvement. Saad, Smith and Stringer are only 23-24.

Failure? Anything but.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree. Essendon have gone backwards this year and to me its a bit of a suprise given their 2017 trade period..

Smith and Saad have probably been the recruits of the year and looking at those deals closer, Dodoro nailed them.

String I'm not so sure about. They need to be a stronger team for him to excel, he is the cream, is 25 and 30 a bit of a price too high? There were some decent kids available around then last year... I think that one might of been a mistake.

They're putting together a pretty good list given their penalties, the coaching and the players' consistency is what is letting them down.
30 goals and a part time clearance player for 25 and 30 are well worth it IMO.
Had we snagged worpel we’d be even better but Myers and Langford just got going. A full season of the form we’ve shown late this year plus Daniher plus whatever comes our way in the off season (Wallis and Shiel would be a awesome). This might just be the dip we need to sort things out and get competitive

Jobe Watson

Brownlow Medalist
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Adrian "Hollywood" Dodoro. Nobody riles up the nuffies quite like him.

Killed it last off-season. Brought in 2 of the recruits of the year. Poor coaching in the early part of the year was to blame for our lackluster season. Our list is in fine shape.

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Adrian "Hollywood" Dodoro. Nobody riles up the nuffies quite like him.

Killed it last off-season. Brought in 2 of the recruits of the year. Poor coaching in the early part of the year was to blame for our lackluster season. Our list is in fine shape.
Best under 25 list in the comp according to champion data

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bigdog43

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I think he definitely has runs on the board but Essendon haven't been relevant for 15 years (like us). I think next few years are massive for him because he has assembled what appears to be a pretty decent list but if there's no success then at some point his position has to be questioned.

Yoda_

Brownlow Medallist
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I’ll take your apology in writing Wild Bill

One recruit (who isn’t a mid apparently) made the All Australian squad
One recruit leads our goal kicking playing a pseudo fwd/mid role whilst the third recruit once again led the game in running bounces.

We may not be as dominant contested as we need to but being one of the most attacking teams in the comp shows it’s not an absolute must. Geelong were well down on clearances iirc so it isn’t the be all and end all

DapperJong

Hall of Famer
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I’ll take your apology in writing Wild Bill

One recruit (who isn’t a mid apparently) made the All Australian squad
One recruit leads our goal kicking playing a pseudo fwd/mid role whilst the third recruit once again led the game in running bounces.

We may not be as dominant contested as we need to but being one of the most attacking teams in the comp shows it’s not an absolute must. Geelong were well down on clearances iirc so it isn’t the be all and end all
yEaH But YoU dIdnT WiN GraND FiNaL

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Take our last 14 games (10 wins, 4 losses - all losses were to top 4 sides) compared to our first 8 (2 wins, 6 losses - played 3 top 8 sides in that period)

Jekyll and Hyde team. Our results can't be attributed to our list team. Perhaps if there was a mid-season draft/trade period to point to in the turnaround.

Quite happy with the 22 we could field in 2019.

Mcgearzz

Debutant
Sep 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester City
Tough cleaning up after the mess sheedy left us in, plus he had no picks and couldn’t say no to players wanting to leave during the drug saga. Next few years would be a good indication, opinion is noted though

Top Bottom