Club Focus Essendon - Essendon's drafting since 1998 under Adrian Dodoro

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Yeah, with Jacobs out and your mids double teaming Cunnington, you got some decent numbers.

Don't kid yourself in to believing that will happen next season.

You got Shiel, we got Tyson, are both are just as adequate in the centre square.

Only difference is we paid with a back up ruckman, and you sold the farm.
Hahahhaha Tyson. Shiel had 161 clearances last year only second to Dangerfield and 128 the year before. The best return Tyson has ever had is 108 then 88 is his next best, Shiel had 104 this year playing majority off a wing.

We sold the farm because he’s in the best 30 players in the competition and top 10 on his day. Tyson won’t even make your best 22 and you gave up your only ruck depth to get him. You’re a Goldstein injury or form slump away from Kane Turner in the ruck.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Brown > Daniher
Tarrant > Hurley

Pressure...lol. Your style has nothing to do with pressure. Just outside run. Basically touch footy.
It was quoted all the time by the commentary that since Mark Neelds exit we were the best pressure team in the competition. Wait and see when the prospectus comes out.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't know why North are trying to drum themselves up as some great contested ball side. We didn't have a single game in the entire year that was more free flowing than when we played them. It only took one run from Saad straight past half a dozen North players to realise their team is full of plodders that can't run both ways.

Luckily they've got Aaron Hall in to address their defensive problems. That should work out well.

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Too bad you had to pay more for a poorer run and carry midfielder.

Sos wanted to recruited Ahern as one of the underage talents but the AFL refused to sign off on it. Got Shiel instead. Imagine getting Shiel for two first rounders and Ahern for pick 69. Dodoro...draft wizard...

Could you expand on this. Are you saying GWS tried to sign Paul Ahern when he was 14? (the age he was when Shiel was recruited by GWS)

adsla69k

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, with Jacobs out and your mids double teaming Cunnington, you got some decent numbers.

Don't kid yourself in to believing that will happen next season.

You got Shiel, we got Tyson, who are both just as adequate in the centre square (4-ish/match clearance players)

Only difference is we paid with a back up ruckman, and you sold the farm.
Hahaha. You sound like a kid. BTW Dont drop Shiels name in the same sentence as Tyson. One player is an All Australian the other is a 3x club reject.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon's struggles over the past fifteen years does largely reflect poor drafting by the club. In the book Footballistics, there was an analysis that looked at each team's drafting performance from 1993 - 2006 (analysing more recent draft classes is naturally more difficult because careers are still in progress). Essendon was by far the worst performing club during that period; Geelong was by far the best performing (their 1999 and 2001 drafts are simply extraordinary).

Sheedy had a far bit of control during that period. So rightly or wrongly many Essendon fans will overlook Dodoro's performance from 1998 - 2006.

I think his performance more recently has certainly improved. Zach Merrett and Orazio Fantasia in the year we lost draft picks was an amazing haul. Hurley and Zaharakis in 2008 was also a couple of great gets. Obviously there have been misses a long the way but that is true of all clubs.

A similar analysis from the same book also assessed each team's trading performance from 1993 - 2009. Essendon actually ranked fourth in valued added from trades (behind Hawthorn, St Kilda and Geelong). Again it is hard to give Dodoro too much credit for this given Sheedy's influence. Any goodwill towards Dodoro is probably due to his efforts to get Stringer, Smith, Saad and Shiel across without breaking the bank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
career clearance average: 3.8 each.

As far as the stat I was referring to matter, they belong in the exact same sentence. In fact, Melbourne have played Tyson on a wing for about 30 matches, so he should be rated ahead of Shiel for clearances.
Let’s not play games, Tyson is an ok depth player average at best and Shiel is a stud and you know it. Any other perspective is either a complete lack of football understanding or deliberate trolling.

DapperJong

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus

As far as the stat I was referring to matter, they belong in the exact same sentence. In fact, Melbourne have played Tyson on a wing for about 30 matches, so he should be rated ahead of Shiel for clearances.
Looking forward to Gaff v Shiel in the middle when we play you next year. Should be a ripper.

_Swoon

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys

Career clearance average is 4.7 to 3.8 in Shiel's favour. The only season in which Tyson averaged more clearances than Shiel was 2014, the year Tyson started at the Demons. Please don't lie on the internet.

gutsroy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
If there's another thread on Dodoro and trade week, please delete this and I'll head there:

How do Ess fans see his performance in trades?
He is a hard negotiator and that might cost chances to get some players in the door in the first place as others offering more make the running, but those you do land, you get at the best possible price.
Whether the other side would be keen to buy him a beer afterwards is secondary - as long as they are prepared to deal with him when it counts, it doesn't matter much.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
If there's another thread on Dodoro and trade week, please delete this and I'll head there:

How do Ess fans see his performance in trades?
He is a hard negotiator and that might cost chances to get some players in the door in the first place as others offering more make the running, but those you do land, you get at the best possible price.
Whether the other side would be keen to buy him a beer afterwards is secondary - as long as they are prepared to deal with him when it counts, it doesn't matter much.
Is this perspective even still relevant given we have gotten Shiel, Smith, Saad and Stringer just in the last 2 years? Clearly players are wanting to come here and clearly we are getting deals done. I wouldn't even say we are doing it at the best possible price, probably fair value overall (paid overs for some, unders for others). From what I can tell Dodoro is well liked and respected by his peers and has good relationships with them.

I would say salary cap is more likely to inhibit future trades more so than the effect of any so called 'hard negotiating'.

MITSUHIRATO

Team Captain
AFL Club
Carlton
He and SOS are unfairly maligned IMO.

Anyone who fights and claws in order to get the best deal possible for their club at the end of the day is doing their job properly.

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bushrangers
Thread starter #149
Hahahhaha Tyson. Shiel had 161 clearances last year only second to Dangerfield and 128 the year before. The best return Tyson has ever had is 108 then 88 is his next best, Shiel had 104 this year playing majority off a wing.

We sold the farm because he’s in the best 30 players in the competition and top 10 on his day. Tyson won’t even make your best 22 and you gave up your only ruck depth to get him. You’re a Goldstein injury or form slump away from Kane Turner in the ruck.
By last year are you referring to calendar or season, I’m assuming calendar but some do say it like this when the season ends.
Essendon's struggles over the past fifteen years does largely reflect poor drafting by the club. In the book Footballistics, there was an analysis that looked at each team's drafting performance from 1993 - 2006 (analysing more recent draft classes is naturally more difficult because careers are still in progress). Essendon was by far the worst performing club during that period; Geelong was by far the best performing (their 1999 and 2001 drafts are simply extraordinary).

Sheedy had a far bit of control during that period. So rightly or wrongly many Essendon fans will overlook Dodoro's performance from 1998 - 2006.

I think his performance more recently has certainly improved. Zach Merrett and Orazio Fantasia in the year we lost draft picks was an amazing haul. Hurley and Zaharakis in 2008 was also a couple of great gets. Obviously there have been misses a long the way but that is true of all clubs.

A similar analysis from the same book also assessed each team's trading performance from 1993 - 2009. Essendon actually ranked fourth in valued added from trades (behind Hawthorn, St Kilda and Geelong). Again it is hard to give Dodoro too much credit for this given Sheedy's influence. Any goodwill towards Dodoro is probably due to his efforts to get Stringer, Smith, Saad and Shiel across without breaking the bank.
Interesting and well thought out comment.

I just want to clarify as the OP, I’m not trying to suggest Dodoro is a bad recruiter or not capable or compiling a great list or anything like that. Was more a observation around reputation/standing among Ess fans vs the results so far. ATM the results are less than the awe some hold of him if that makes sense and that is what is a head scratcher

AFL Club
Essendon
By last year are you referring to calendar or season, I’m assuming calendar but some do say it like this when the season ends.

Interesting and well thought out comment.

I just want to clarify as the OP, I’m not trying to suggest Dodoro is a bad recruiter or not capable or compiling a great list or anything like that. Was more a observation around reputation/standing among Ess fans vs the results so far. ATM the results are less than the awe some hold of him if that makes sense and that is what is a head scratcher
I think Dodoro is best at getting trades done and bringing in talent from other clubs but when it comes to drafting he's hit and miss

Top Bottom