Club Focus Essendon - Essendon's drafting since 1998 under Adrian Dodoro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Dylan Shiel for two first rounders haha
Hawks really musnt rate Burton all of a sudden if they're criticising the Shiel deal.

I don't see a substantial difference between:

- Pick 9 and 2019 First rounder for Shiel and a 2019 second rounder
- Burton, pick 15, pick 35, 2019 4th rounder for Wingard and a 2019 3rd rounder.

Foucault1989

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Hawks really musnt rate Burton all of a sudden if they're criticising the Shiel deal.

- Burton, pick 15, pick 35, 2019 4th rounder for Wingard and a 2019 3rd rounder.
You're right. The Shiel deal was 100% fair and the hawks Burton and wingard deal was weird

Daniels Riches

All Australian
Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Hahahhaha Tyson. Shiel had 161 clearances last year only second to Dangerfield and 128 the year before. The best return Tyson has ever had is 108 then 88 is his next best, Shiel had 104 this year playing majority off a wing.

We sold the farm because he’s in the best 30 players in the competition and top 10 on his day. Tyson won’t even make your best 22 and you gave up your only ruck depth to get him. You’re a Goldstein injury or form slump away from Kane Turner in the ruck.
IMO he may just be in the top 50 players in the comp. Top 30 is stretching it and top 10 I think you are having a laugh.

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
IMO he may just be in the top 50 players in the comp. Top 30 is stretching it and top 10 I think you are having a laugh.
Forget this year, GWS are wasting him out on the wing. Last time he played the majority of the year inside the midfield he won the second most clearances in the competition. Just a top 50 player doesn’t get close to that.

Daniels Riches

All Australian
Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Forget this year, GWS are wasting him out on the wing. Last time he played the majority of the year inside the midfield he won the second most clearances in the competition. Just a top 50 player doesn’t get close to that.
Can see your point mate. Had no idea he was that much of a clearance beast. But it's hard to say to just forget about this year. I think he should be judged on his most recent performances (this whole season) and would question why GWS would decide to waste him there. I have no doubt in the world that he is a great talent, but when I think of the most elite players in the comp, Shiel doesn't really come into that conversation for me. I do admit though, that I haven't really watched him closely in too games before. (Has never really excited me as a supercoach option lol). Hopefully the Dons play him in his best position so that he can really stamp himself as one of the best players in the comp. I'm not a bomber hater, so good luck. (I'll direct that hatred towards the pies ;))

Keystone agony

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Can see your point mate. Had no idea he was that much of a clearance beast. But it's hard to say to just forget about this year. I think he should be judged on his most recent performances (this whole season) and would question why GWS would decide to waste him there. I have no doubt in the world that he is a great talent, but when I think of the most elite players in the comp, Shiel doesn't really come into that conversation for me. I do admit though, that I haven't really watched him closely in too games before. (Has never really excited me as a supercoach option lol). Hopefully the Dons play him in his best position so that he can really stamp himself as one of the best players in the comp. I'm not a bomber hater, so good luck. (I'll direct that hatred towards the pies ;))
Not sure why people talk down this year so much with him. Maybe not as good as his AA season but still very good. Obviousily spent more time outside the contest. He avg a whooping 0.3 less disposals the year just gone compared to his AA season.

As for Dodoro i think hes been pretty good in the last 10 years. Maybe alot will depend on how good the Redman, Ridley, Parish, Langford, Laverde, Begley, Mutch, Francis crop become or dont become.

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
But it's hard to say to just forget about this year. I think he should be judged on his most recent performances (this whole season) and would question why GWS would decide to waste him there.
It’s due to the type of players they have. Obviously they are spoiled for midfield talent and based on his physical attributes he’s more suited to playing a different role than the likes of Conigilio, Hopper, Ward, even though he won AA playing in that role and none of them managed to do so in his stead this year. I generally like to judge on recent form too but as he’s not going to be playing that role for us there is more utility in looking at the most recent form in the role we’ve recruited him for. Which as he’s stated in one of his interviews is his preferred position.

Mitchell54

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
Shiel deal was an Essendon victory even if they finish last.
Proven Talent >>>> potential

Same applies for Wingard deal

Foxx

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Definately has runs on the board but has burnt a lot of bridges in the past.

Biggest issue is that he doesn’t trade in good faith, always has to have a “win” or no deal. Can tell you he has pissed off a lot of good people over the years.

Before you jump in and say “but that’s his job” think about Stephen Wells and Graham Wright. Both highly respected with the way they go about negotiating....
Stephen wells cough Tim Kelly cough good faith cough cough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gcsunsfc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
So Jarryd Lyons who averaged the 3rd most clearances in the league is a top 30 player?

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
So Jarryd Lyons who averaged the 3rd most clearances in the league is a top 30 player?
No, obviously its within the context of GWS success and his all around game, Lyon would have to replicate that in a team that other teams bother putting time into beating to see if it isn’t an anomaly. Though he is a way better player than people give credit to including your coach and had he been developed right I could see him as Joel Selwood lite.

Last edited:

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Agree. Shiel was about the right value, While the Hawks overpaid for Wingard

gcsunsfc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
No, obviously its within the context of GWS success and his all around game, Lyon would have to replicate that in a team that other teams bother putting time into beating to see if it isn’t an anomaly. Though he is a way better player than people give credit to including your coach and had he been developed right I could see him as Joel Selwood lite.
He is an excellent ball winner - everyone can see that. His kicking can let him down but his main knock and the reason he got dropped by the coach is poor defensive running.

Given you can make a better assessment of his performance than our coach you must have been at the ground to acknowledge this part of the game aswell? You can’t really analyse defensive running on tv.

I’d argue in the 2 seasons he’s been at our club he has been developed quite well.
In the 5 years he played for Adelaide I remember him as a forward flanker and was often used as the sub. Looking at his stats he played more mid in his final year at Adelaide averaging 21 possessions a game - first time over 18 for a season. Although I don’t suggest to know in detail how good he was as I probably only watched 3-4 Adelaide games on tv each year. And we got him for a ?fourth round pick if I remember correctly so obviously wasn’t rated particularly high by Adelaide.

With us he has become a full time mid averaging 24 disposals high in the clearance standings as mentioned but some aspects of his game to work on. No doubt he would be worth more than a forth rd pick now.

I agree with you that he has many positive attributes. I disagree that you know better than our coach.

Anyway my opinion on the Shiel trade... think it was probably fair value. Will add another dimension to your team. Will be interesting to watch how he goes next year. Ball in hand I didn’t think he was very damaging this year compared with previous seasons.

Good luck.

Andypooh23

Debutant
Aug 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Wizards
What happened to Essendons first pick in 1999?

I've looked on Wikipedia and it looks to have magically gone to the Kangas which they used to trade for Leigh Colbert.

Does anyone remember what happened?

Vindicater

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Dodoro is a strange drafter.

The picks he makes are generally good players and so the pick itself appears to be good.

However he never picks for need so our team is perpetually out of shape.

Warhorse

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

The picks he makes are generally good players and so the pick itself appears to be good.

Similar to sos, to busy trying to win individual deals and misses the big picture

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

Very true
Seems stuck in the mode of best available each draft vs drafting for needs.

Trading of late seems to have been the same. Aim for the best available (I.e likes of Ablett, lynch etc weren't really available to anyone else), but went for shiel, stringer, Smith and saad to add to our quality.

We still lack a ruck to compete in the modern game and a tall forward to compliment daniher when he's in and step to the fore when he's not.

All in all though we have a good, but underperforming, list.

We could do with some investment on the coaching and development side of things

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
He tends to go best available in the first round/first couple of picks and then needs based after that (unless the only guy left that suits a need is rubbish then I guess we wait a year).

We still lack a ruck to compete in the modern game and a tall forward to compliment daniher when he's in and step to the fore when he's not.
At this stage we more need a fit Daniher to compliment McKernan 😂 if we could keep our best forward line.. or second/third best forward line on the park we’d be sweet.

We also had like 5 rucks on the list after the draft last year. Lavender got injured yet again and retired in January and then Draper (who is considered a pretty good up and comer) unfortunately did his ACL and has 12 months of rehab to look forward to, while McKernan plays forward with the injuries there. Leaves us with Bellchambers and Clarke which is less than ideal. Good thing we started with 5 or we wouldn’t have any left by now. It’s not like great rucks grow on trees though, half the teams in the league are crying out for one.

Top Bottom