Adrian Dodoro

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
career clearance average: 3.8 each.

As far as the stat I was referring to matter, they belong in the exact same sentence. In fact, Melbourne have played Tyson on a wing for about 30 matches, so he should be rated ahead of Shiel for clearances.
Career clearance average is 4.7 to 3.8 in Shiel's favour. The only season in which Tyson averaged more clearances than Shiel was 2014, the year Tyson started at the Demons. Please don't lie on the internet.

If there's another thread on Dodoro and trade week, please delete this and I'll head there:

How do Ess fans see his performance in trades?
He is a hard negotiator and that might cost chances to get some players in the door in the first place as others offering more make the running, but those you do land, you get at the best possible price.
Whether the other side would be keen to buy him a beer afterwards is secondary - as long as they are prepared to deal with him when it counts, it doesn't matter much.

If there's another thread on Dodoro and trade week, please delete this and I'll head there:

How do Ess fans see his performance in trades?
He is a hard negotiator and that might cost chances to get some players in the door in the first place as others offering more make the running, but those you do land, you get at the best possible price.
Whether the other side would be keen to buy him a beer afterwards is secondary - as long as they are prepared to deal with him when it counts, it doesn't matter much.

Is this perspective even still relevant given we have gotten Shiel, Smith, Saad and Stringer just in the last 2 years? Clearly players are wanting to come here and clearly we are getting deals done. I wouldn't even say we are doing it at the best possible price, probably fair value overall (paid overs for some, unders for others). From what I can tell Dodoro is well liked and respected by his peers and has good relationships with them.

I would say salary cap is more likely to inhibit future trades more so than the effect of any so called 'hard negotiating'.

He and SOS are unfairly maligned IMO.

Anyone who fights and claws in order to get the best deal possible for their club at the end of the day is doing their job properly.

Hahahhaha Tyson. Shiel had 161 clearances last year only second to Dangerfield and 128 the year before. The best return Tyson has ever had is 108 then 88 is his next best, Shiel had 104 this year playing majority off a wing.

We sold the farm because he’s in the best 30 players in the competition and top 10 on his day. Tyson won’t even make your best 22 and you gave up your only ruck depth to get him. You’re a Goldstein injury or form slump away from Kane Turner in the ruck.
By last year are you referring to calendar or season, I’m assuming calendar but some do say it like this when the season ends.
Essendon's struggles over the past fifteen years does largely reflect poor drafting by the club. In the book Footballistics, there was an analysis that looked at each team's drafting performance from 1993 - 2006 (analysing more recent draft classes is naturally more difficult because careers are still in progress). Essendon was by far the worst performing club during that period; Geelong was by far the best performing (their 1999 and 2001 drafts are simply extraordinary).

Sheedy had a far bit of control during that period. So rightly or wrongly many Essendon fans will overlook Dodoro's performance from 1998 - 2006.

I think his performance more recently has certainly improved. Zach Merrett and Orazio Fantasia in the year we lost draft picks was an amazing haul. Hurley and Zaharakis in 2008 was also a couple of great gets. Obviously there have been misses a long the way but that is true of all clubs.

A similar analysis from the same book also assessed each team's trading performance from 1993 - 2009. Essendon actually ranked fourth in valued added from trades (behind Hawthorn, St Kilda and Geelong). Again it is hard to give Dodoro too much credit for this given Sheedy's influence. Any goodwill towards Dodoro is probably due to his efforts to get Stringer, Smith, Saad and Shiel across without breaking the bank.
Interesting and well thought out comment.

I just want to clarify as the OP, I’m not trying to suggest Dodoro is a bad recruiter or not capable or compiling a great list or anything like that. Was more a observation around reputation/standing among Ess fans vs the results so far. ATM the results are less than the awe some hold of him if that makes sense and that is what is a head scratcher

By last year are you referring to calendar or season, I’m assuming calendar but some do say it like this when the season ends.

Interesting and well thought out comment.

I just want to clarify as the OP, I’m not trying to suggest Dodoro is a bad recruiter or not capable or compiling a great list or anything like that. Was more a observation around reputation/standing among Ess fans vs the results so far. ATM the results are less than the awe some hold of him if that makes sense and that is what is a head scratcher

I think Dodoro is best at getting trades done and bringing in talent from other clubs but when it comes to drafting he's hit and miss

Dylan Shiel for two first rounders haha

Hawks really musnt rate Burton all of a sudden if they're criticising the Shiel deal.

I don't see a substantial difference between:

- Pick 9 and 2019 First rounder for Shiel and a 2019 second rounder
- Burton, pick 15, pick 35, 2019 4th rounder for Wingard and a 2019 3rd rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks really musnt rate Burton all of a sudden if they're criticising the Shiel deal.

- Burton, pick 15, pick 35, 2019 4th rounder for Wingard and a 2019 3rd rounder.
You're right. The Shiel deal was 100% fair and the hawks Burton and wingard deal was weird

Hahahhaha Tyson. Shiel had 161 clearances last year only second to Dangerfield and 128 the year before. The best return Tyson has ever had is 108 then 88 is his next best, Shiel had 104 this year playing majority off a wing.

We sold the farm because he’s in the best 30 players in the competition and top 10 on his day. Tyson won’t even make your best 22 and you gave up your only ruck depth to get him. You’re a Goldstein injury or form slump away from Kane Turner in the ruck.
IMO he may just be in the top 50 players in the comp. Top 30 is stretching it and top 10 I think you are having a laugh.

IMO he may just be in the top 50 players in the comp. Top 30 is stretching it and top 10 I think you are having a laugh.

Forget this year, GWS are wasting him out on the wing. Last time he played the majority of the year inside the midfield he won the second most clearances in the competition. Just a top 50 player doesn’t get close to that.

Forget this year, GWS are wasting him out on the wing. Last time he played the majority of the year inside the midfield he won the second most clearances in the competition. Just a top 50 player doesn’t get close to that.
Can see your point mate. Had no idea he was that much of a clearance beast. But it's hard to say to just forget about this year. I think he should be judged on his most recent performances (this whole season) and would question why GWS would decide to waste him there. I have no doubt in the world that he is a great talent, but when I think of the most elite players in the comp, Shiel doesn't really come into that conversation for me. I do admit though, that I haven't really watched him closely in too games before. (Has never really excited me as a supercoach option lol). Hopefully the Dons play him in his best position so that he can really stamp himself as one of the best players in the comp. I'm not a bomber hater, so good luck. (I'll direct that hatred towards the pies ;))

Can see your point mate. Had no idea he was that much of a clearance beast. But it's hard to say to just forget about this year. I think he should be judged on his most recent performances (this whole season) and would question why GWS would decide to waste him there. I have no doubt in the world that he is a great talent, but when I think of the most elite players in the comp, Shiel doesn't really come into that conversation for me. I do admit though, that I haven't really watched him closely in too games before. (Has never really excited me as a supercoach option lol). Hopefully the Dons play him in his best position so that he can really stamp himself as one of the best players in the comp. I'm not a bomber hater, so good luck. (I'll direct that hatred towards the pies ;))

Not sure why people talk down this year so much with him. Maybe not as good as his AA season but still very good. Obviousily spent more time outside the contest. He avg a whooping 0.3 less disposals the year just gone compared to his AA season.

As for Dodoro i think hes been pretty good in the last 10 years. Maybe alot will depend on how good the Redman, Ridley, Parish, Langford, Laverde, Begley, Mutch, Francis crop become or dont become.

But it's hard to say to just forget about this year. I think he should be judged on his most recent performances (this whole season) and would question why GWS would decide to waste him there.

It’s due to the type of players they have. Obviously they are spoiled for midfield talent and based on his physical attributes he’s more suited to playing a different role than the likes of Conigilio, Hopper, Ward, even though he won AA playing in that role and none of them managed to do so in his stead this year. I generally like to judge on recent form too but as he’s not going to be playing that role for us there is more utility in looking at the most recent form in the role we’ve recruited him for. Which as he’s stated in one of his interviews is his preferred position.

Definately has runs on the board but has burnt a lot of bridges in the past.

Biggest issue is that he doesn’t trade in good faith, always has to have a “win” or no deal. Can tell you he has pissed off a lot of good people over the years.

Before you jump in and say “but that’s his job” think about Stephen Wells and Graham Wright. Both highly respected with the way they go about negotiating....
Stephen wells cough Tim Kelly cough good faith cough cough.

So Jarryd Lyons who averaged the 3rd most clearances in the league is a top 30 player?

So Jarryd Lyons who averaged the 3rd most clearances in the league is a top 30 player?

No, obviously its within the context of GWS success and his all around game, Lyon would have to replicate that in a team that other teams bother putting time into beating to see if it isn’t an anomaly. Though he is a way better player than people give credit to including your coach and had he been developed right I could see him as Joel Selwood lite.

Last edited:

Agree. Shiel was about the right value, While the Hawks overpaid for Wingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back