Essendon fans slammed for booing Paddy Ryder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not accusing anyone of being racist here, but I will never get why supporters of any club feel justified in booing a former player. A guy like Paddy in particular, from all reports a ripping fella and great clubman, gave his all for the Essendon Football Club, rubbed out for two years because of the actions of his club, still doesn't know what he's beein injected with, wants a new start somewhere else - and he gets the boos. There are some very basic thinkers on this forum and in the stands.
Ryder was though a bit of a special case. We didn't boo Melksham or Hibberd, and I doubt we'll boo Carlisle. I don't think we boo'd Monfries or Crameri. We most certainly boo'd McPhee. What do McPhee and Ryder have in common? The manner of their exit.

McPhee announced he wanted out after trade week, leaving us to get no compensation. That left a pretty sour taste in the mouth.

Ryder's manager leaked the news he was leaving the week before a final, our first final since being banned the year before and our third shot to win one after losing our two previous finals in 2012 and 2009. He announced he wanted to be closer to family - and then suddenly chose a club further away offering more money. Despite being contracted he wouldn't help out the club by considering any other club. When Hawthorn said they were interested in Carlisle, he considered it, which put pressure on St Kilda to come to a reasonable deal. Ryder was contracted and we were letting him go, yet he wouldn't help us out at all. Finally, his manager and he then used the saga to run us further through the media muck.

Rightfully or wrongfully, many EFC fans have heard a specific reason he wanted, or needed, to leave. Maybe that is spurious lies. Maybe it isn't. But Ryder lying about his reasons and then switching his destination for money doesn't lead to us giving him the benefit of the doubt.

We got done over on that whole transaction, and despite releasing a player who signed post saga while contracted after his best break out season, got trawled through the media mud over it. So no, we don't like him and are quite happy to remind him of that fact.

If he'd gone to the club post season, and worked with the club to end up where he wanted, both parties could have been happy and this wouldn't be occurring.

It's not like there were full tins of VB getting hurled over the fence at his head like the good old days of Victoria Park.

Bit of booing is so harmless and insignificant it's not funny.

That's footy.

Thought it funny Essendon supporters were booing Mitchell the other week, for his jab jab sledge. But they lost their minds when the eagles supporters booed Watson for being a drug cheat.

Wtf. How is it hard to understand given he's from Hawthorn and all of our history?

How is hard to understand?

WTF LOL?

There's always a section of the crowd with an IQ under 15 who boo its former players. There always has been, and there always will be. It's a non issue. Except of course when you do it the very next day after the Lovett Murray expose. Even more provocative was the celebration of the 'James Hird Academy' prior to the game. Essendon are damned lucky Port had such a small contingent. If they pull this crap against another Victorian club, they better bring extra security.

Just a coincidence that they unveiled their academy kids the same weekend Gavin Brown's son is debuting? I wonder. Essendon have been in a death lock with the Magpies for so long now, it's become habitual. You'd think after the past 5 years of misery they'd let go.
double lel:rainbow::rainbow:

Player leaves because his club gave him illegal drugs, lied to him and eventually got him suspended for a year. I reckon that is one time fans should excuse a player for leaving and not boo him.

Not to mention this was a club whose fans cried when Jobe Watson was booed for admiting he took illegal drugs, yet happily boo their own (Stanton)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There's a rumour I've heard from multiple reliable sources that he had issues in his personal life and that those issues were the his main motivation for leaving Melbourne. Nothing can be confirmed of course, but the way he held the club for ransom with 2-3 years still left on his contract is why many Essendon supporters might've booed him.

I still love Pig as a player after him leaving to Melbourne, because he did it in a gentlemanly way that was beneficial for all parties involved. It really was the manner by which he chose to leave.

Exactly.

I would never waste my time booing him (or any other player for that matter) but if there are those that want to express their displeasure with Ryder in that manner, it really doesnt bother me.

Find it hilarious people sook about booing. Snowflake media types always make a big deal about any player that isn't a 'villain' getting booed.
Not sooking about booing. I'm just surprised that there are that many nuffies out there who clearly don't mind embarrassing themselves in public. I guess it's a bit like adults wearing face paint at the footy, and people who swear with kids around them. I just don't get it.

Thought it funny Essendon supporters were booing Mitchell the other week, for his jab jab sledge. But they lost their minds when the eagles supporters booed Watson for being a drug cheat.
Essendon supporters booed Mitchell because he is a snipping flog and for showing a complete lack if class (unlike Cotchin) when awarded the brownlow.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Ryder was though a bit of a special case. We didn't boo Melksham or Hibberd, and I doubt we'll boo Carlisle. I don't think we boo'd Monfries or Crameri. We most certainly boo'd McPhee. What do McPhee and Ryder have in common? The manner of their exit.

McPhee announced he wanted out after trade week, leaving us to get no compensation. That left a pretty sour taste in the mouth.

Ryder's manager leaked the news he was leaving the week before a final, our first final since being banned the year before and our third shot to win one after losing our two previous finals in 2012 and 2009. He announced he wanted to be closer to family - and then suddenly chose a club further away offering more money. Despite being contracted he wouldn't help out the club by considering any other club. When Hawthorn said they were interested in Carlisle, he considered it, which put pressure on St Kilda to come to a reasonable deal. Ryder was contracted and we were letting him go, yet he wouldn't help us out at all. Finally, his manager and he then used the saga to run us further through the media muck.

Rightfully or wrongfully, many EFC fans have heard a specific reason he wanted, or needed, to leave. Maybe that is spurious lies. Maybe it isn't. But Ryder lying about his reasons and then switching his destination for money doesn't lead to us giving him the benefit of the doubt.

We got done over on that whole transaction, and despite releasing a player who signed post saga while contracted after his best break out season, got trawled through the media mud over it. So no, we don't like him and are quite happy to remind him of that fact.

If he'd gone to the club post season, and worked with the club to end up where he wanted, both parties could have been happy and this wouldn't be occurring.

It's no secret as to why he left, and there's actually not much wrong with it tbh. He had to get out of Melbourne. That sucks, but it happens. It came at a s**t time for the club and you can even understand him using that situation as the excuse for his leaving - he obviously doesn't want family affairs made public.

The way he did it was shithouse. He made public leaks in the week leading up to a finals campaign. He told the club he wanted to look after them as he was contracted, and he'd go to one of the four clubs in Queensland or Sydney, whoever offered the best deal. When there was an attractive offer made by GWS he was up for it, then suddenly demanded to be traded to Port Adelaide for a poorer trade deal. Which the club granted when they finally extracted a second draft pick out of Port, who were beheaving like tools at the trade table.

You can think what you like about his situation, but if you don't think that makes him one of the players who will be booed by a few fans of his former club... you're naive, at best.

Player leaves because his club gave him illegal drugs, lied to him and eventually got him suspended for a year. I reckon that is one time fans should excuse a player for leaving and not boo him.

Not to mention this was a club whose fans cried when Jobe Watson was booed for admiting he took illegal drugs, yet happily boo their own (Stanton)

He didn't leave the club because of the drugs saga. Everyone knows why he left Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sooking about booing. I'm just surprised that there are that many nuffies out there who clearly don't mind embarrassing themselves in public. I guess it's a bit like adults wearing face paint at the footy, and people who swear with kids around them. I just don't get it.

I don't boo at games but I don't have an issue with who do, as fans who pay to get in there is no rule stating they can't do it.

Players who leave the club get booed, nothing new. Unless you are Gary Ablett.

Or Ryan Crowley

I imagine Michael Barlow will get a hell of a reception next time he plays in front of our fans too.

It's entirely based on the manner in which a player leaves a club. Former players who were cut, were only on the fringes of the team or were pushed into a trade are generally never booed. It's the guys who were either stars or firmly entrenched in the team that up and leave for more money/more success that cop the brunt of it from supporters and fair enough I reckon.

Essendon drugged him, Ryder left - and now they boo him. Typical Essendon flogs. But you brought this one on yourself.

Unsavoury reaction considering what the Essendon footy club did to its 2012 playing list. Opposition fans would have been well within their rights to rip into Essendon this season but by and large avoided the temptation to do so, maybe they'll think twice about that after witnessing Essendon fans treatment of a player who was injected by the club with illegal drugs with unknown side-effects

Compare the boos we have in our games to what happened to draymond green at cav in NBA Finals, when did we get so soft?

He didn't leave the club because of the drugs saga. Everyone knows why he left Melbourne.

Obvioisly they dont.

Why did he leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back