Oppo Camp Essendon FC verdict: Tuesday 31st of March.

Essendon FC outcome: are they guilty or innocent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In Canada, they have gone so far as to pass laws stating that a public apology by an organisation or individual does not constitute an admission of civil liability.
In Canada people apologise at the drop of a hat.
My wife apologised to the midwife for making so much noise giving birth to our first.

So, how are these Essendon boys getting along with working their ways through the stages of grief then

Shock - oh yeah

Denial - this decision can't be right! Tick

Anger - how can this happen when we've done nothing wrong! Tick

Blame - it's the AFL's/everyone else's fault! Tick

Depression - ok hasn't quite kicked in yet maybe

Bargaining - If the club gives me $x I won't sue them! Still in the works

Acceptance - eventually realising that this has happened, it was the right decision and decide whether they want to work on getting back into the team or move onto something else. Got til November to get to this point

So still a way to go then..

Last edited:
I just hope that - as often happens with long running sagas like this - there is a decent investigative journalist who has been following it all the way through and who will pull all the pieces together in a three part doco that asks and answers all the questions that our current motley bunch of commentators and reporters seem incapable of

This story definitely deserves that treatment

I just hope that - as often happens with long running sagas like this - there is a decent investigative journalist who has been following it all the way through and who will pull all the pieces together in a three part doco that asks and answers all the questions that our current motley bunch of commentators and reporters seem incapable of

Brad Pitt to play James Hird
Uncle Fester to play Paul Little
Fat Bastard to play Andrew Demetriou

I hope 4 corners does this story.

Would love to see ESPN do a docco on this. One of those 30 for 30 type doccos.

They have no ties with the AFL so will be impartial.

The verdicts impact has a global relevance.

No one wanting a job in Australian Sports Media will go near getting the real story. Too much to lose.

Would love to see ESPN do a docco on this. One of those 30 for 30 type doccos.

They have no ties with the AFL so will be impartial.

The verdicts impact has a global relevance.

No one wanting a job in Australian Sports Media will go near getting the real story. Too much to lose.
Correct it would only be an Australian non-sports journalist... Which is likely to be 4 corners... Unless as you suggest it is done by an overseas journalist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spent half a hour on the Essendon board last night. Seems a lot of there supporters think they will appeal the decision by CAS. I thought there was no right of appeal. Are these posters just dumb dumbs, or could this drag on a bit longer?

Four Corners did a piece early on. I expect they'll follow it up.

I spent half a hour on the Essendon board last night. Seems a lot of there supporters think they will appeal the decision by CAS. I thought there was no right of appeal. Are these posters just dumb dumbs, or could this drag on a bit longer?
I think they can appeal the admin side of it - AFL used a higher level of proof than the WADA appeal, not sure a court would rule against CAS and they cant run with the dog ate our records defence again.

The players could run with action against the club and AFL, it looks doomed to fail though.

They can appeal to the Swiss courts on grounds that the CAS appeal had an error of process.

That's it though.

It's interesting how we have clubs proclaiming how they will never take a short cut in their preparation, and proclaiming that they're a "no excuses" club and they have awards for the most professional rehab player. No stone unturned. No shortcuts taken. Attention to detail is the no 1 thing.

But when it comes time to filling in the WADA forms? I only put in what I thought I had to. I didn't include everything I'd taken. You don't include every protein shake you have. I just put in what I'd had in the last few days.

It's actually a trend through most businesses. The productive stuff that leads to their goals gets all the attention. The compliance and risk management stuff gets little attention because it's not sexy and it doesn't achieve goals or increase productivity

Except when suddenly you're stopped from doing your job. That stifles productivity pretty well:cool:

Back