Toast Essendon Football Club 150 Year Anniversary 1872-2022

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Really enjoying the series. Well put together.

As expected, there’s been a lot of Tim Watson footage and it’s awesome.

Lots of Windy Hill images.

I love how they put in Chris Daniher’s goal in the 93’ GF

Lots of Neale playing footage.

Moments like the highlights reel of the 85’ GF ..Daisy Williams set shot goal is probably the first time I’ve ever seen that replayed on tv.

The reverse camera angles on certain goals like Watsons in the 93’ pre lim

Once again, I get emotional when watching the last qrt 84’ goals …especially the last Watson goal and he raises his arms up with the Bomber crowd in the background jumping up and down like maniacs. Love it.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I think 1 20 minute conversation with Jack Jones would make you a better person, what a man.
The Jack Jones episode on the Howie Games podcast is fantastic, well worth a listen. Just had a look it was the 6th one he did so you have to scroll back a fair way but even Howie mentions in another pod it was his favourite interview he's ever done.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Loved the 84/85 segment last night. Was hoping to see more footage of Sheedy addressing the faithful at the 84 dinner celebrations 12 months on from his infamous spray.

I always get emotional watching those 84 last qtr highlights….the Baker crumb, left snap & crowd roaring to life always gets the adrenaline pumping.

Also loved how they basically showed every one of the 11 last qtr goals of 85 as well. Harves assessment of them being better than the 2000 boys is a discussion I find tantalising.

Great series…loving Tuesday nights.

Last edited:

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
The last couple episodes have had some weird editing. GO'D talking about Mercs' goal and they show Long's. Talking about Watson's come back then showing older highlights. Just seems to jump around a bit but still great.

The goal GO'D was talking about was from the 93 Prelim where the baby bombers went end to end in the 3rd quarter. The crowd builds and builds with every touch. Watch from 4:45 mark (or spend 10 mins and watch the whole thing 🤣)

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
The goal GO'D was talking about was from the 93 Prelim where the baby bombers went end to end in the 3rd quarter. The crowd builds and builds with every touch. Watch from 4:45 mark (or spend 10 mins and watch the whole thing 🤣)

Biggest roar I’ve heard at any Essendon game. Was directly behind the flight of the ball in Ponsford stand. I think that goal broke the crows spirit.

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Biggest roar I’ve heard at any Essendon game. Was directly behind the flight of the ball in Ponsford stand. I think that goal broke the crows spirit.
I was reminiscing about the game, and big roars. He remembers the Tippa goal against Carlton to seal the win - bit of an indictment of how poor we've been the last 15 years.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Really enjoying the series. Well put together.

As expected, there’s been a lot of Tim Watson footage and it’s awesome.

Lots of Windy Hill images.

I love how they put in Chris Daniher’s goal in the 93’ GF

Lots of Neale playing footage.

Moments like the highlights reel of the 85’ GF ..Daisy Williams set shot goal is probably the first time I’ve ever seen that replayed on tv.

The reverse camera angles on certain goals like Watsons in the 93’ pre lim

Once again, I get emotional when watching the last qrt 84’ goals …especially the last Watson goal and he raises his arms up with the Bomber crowd in the background jumping up and down like maniacs. Love it.

Tim was special, no doubt about it.

I have said elsewhere that the closest player to Neale Daniher I can think of is Fyfe, and seeing highlights of him only makes me surer. Better kick & mark than Fyfe, though.

Interesting article about Hird having his face caved in and then rearranged by a surgeon. Apparently episode 8 will look at his career (that episode is an hour so probably his career to present?)

Interesting Sheedy rates Neale up there with Watson and Hird. I agree with him, Neale was good from game one, getting better every game and well on his way to elite level in those short first three years.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting Sheedy rates Neale up there with Watson and Hird. I agree with him, Neale was good from game one, getting better every game and well on his way to elite level in those short first three years.

Theres no way of showing younger fans how god damn talented Neale was as a footballer.

ive searched and searched…no one has made up a comprehensive highlights package of his best stuff on YouTube

He glided around with ball in hand

courageous mark with hands of glue

Total awesomeness of what’s around himself like the other two and all three would deliver perfect drop punts to a target about 98% of the time

That’s why Sheedy puts him with Hirdy and Tim

Just a cut above the best

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
The sacrifice Daisy Williams had to endure as a superb athlete is truly admirable.

No smokes on Saturday mornings.

A Bomber commitment to greatness.
044AED8A-2AC0-43F9-9C15-4F51FF1E7689.jpeg

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
The sacrifice Daisy Williams had to endure as a superb athlete is truly admirable.

A Bomber commitment to greatness. View attachment 1276028
Don't forget the glass of milk.🤣

I attended my first match at Windy Hill as a 7 y/o in '76. My old man took me into the change rooms after the match. Every player had a beer in one hand and most had a smoke in the other.

How times have changed.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't forget the glass of milk.🤣

I attended my first match at Windy Hill as a 7 y/o in '76. My old man took me into the change rooms after the match. Every player had a beer in one hand and most had a smoke in the other.

How times have changed.

Really illustrates the differences for modern players.

Imagine Doise telling the supporters that he forgoes his morning smoke when he's playing.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

A Bomber commitment to greatness. View attachment 1276028

Daisy was a really good athlete as a kid..but he wouldn't get away with that these days..!

This was in an era where smoking was really phasing out, but a few of the 84/85 team still did it.

Sadly enough, in reality, he sacrificed plenty for the club - gone at 28 due to head knocks.

Not too bad. Treatment of the saga was okay, walking a fine line but they managed and didn’t dwell on it.

End was interesting with the current players being interviewed about Truck, apparently they watched the first 7 parts together before they filmed the last segment.

Don’t quite understand why the producers decided to focus on Parish (talking about him being the son of a shearer and how much work he put in last off-season) given none of the other current players got much attention. The only thing that makes sense is to emphasise the hardworking blue collar values of the club, but the way it was done kind of makes it like he’s the only current player who fits that profile (he isn’t… but they didn’t mention anyone else).

The other one they focused on a tiny bit was Cox as the club’s first pick in the most recent draft, and they barely talked about him other than to replay draft night 2020. Was half expecting a phone number to call member services 😅

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
That god damn Mercuri grubber snap in the 99’ Plim still haunts my soul every time I see it.

I kicked a tree outside after that game..many times in rage.
I have nightmares about DW overestimating his abilities. Boot to the ball and an inside 50 as soon as he took possession, sigh, what may have happened.☹

Definitely hurts more than the lockett behind in 96.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I have nightmares about DW overestimating his abilities. Boot to the ball and an inside 50 as soon as he took possession, sigh, what may have happened.☹

Definitely hurts more than the lockett behind in 96.

I remember as soon as Murphy took off and kicked it I got up and went straight outside. I couldn’t bear to hear the siren.

I was livid half with the loss and half with the fact it was ******* Carlton

absolute preliminary final misery

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought the saga was handled poorly (well yes, the ACTUAL saga) but also in the doco

All they pretty much did was narrate a time line like we didn't already know what happened...we lived it too, of course we know the time line! I kind of hoped for a little depth, a little background, a little reflection with hindsight - its like they were still in the same guarded battle mode from 7 years ago. I dont think i learned a single thing that i didnt already know. It was probably a great opportunity to lay a few things out on the table and deep dive - perhaps its still too soon. Not much said about impacts on stoic fans either, we are as much part of the club as the rest.

I guess overall i expected more from the whole series, it was a bit of the old school AFL doco that we used to get, i think 'making their mark' raised the bar and my expectations were still up there with it. Was easy enough viewing, apart from Hulmes dramatic slow motion narration..

Back