Toast Essendon Football Club 150 Year Anniversary 1872-2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought the saga was handled poorly (well yes, the ACTUAL saga) but also in the doco

All they pretty much did was narrate a time line like we didn't already know what happened...we lived it too, of course we know the time line! I kind of hoped for a little depth, a little background, a little reflection with hindsight - its like they were still in the same guarded battle mode from 7 years ago. I dont think i learned a single thing that i didnt already know. It was probably a great opportunity to lay a few things out on the table and deep dive - perhaps its still too soon. Not much said about impacts on stoic fans either, we are as much part of the club as the rest.

I guess overall i expected more from the whole series, it was a bit of the old school AFL doco that we used to get, i think 'making their mark' raised the bar and my expectations were still up there with it. Was easy enough viewing, apart from Hulmes dramatic slow motion narration..

I'm not too sure you can compare the making the mark doco with this especially with the saga.

Making the mark doco wanted to create stories as people havnt seen that side.

This wanted to tell our history, why bring up anything that isn't already public knowledge about the saga? It just raises it as a discussion point when the whole point is the focus on the club and it's long history. It's too soon for any great depth without clouding the current squad, we know how the media would handle it, the club doesn't want that.
It takes a long time to repair an image, I'm happy the club appears committed to that, moving on.

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
That god damn Mercuri grubber snap in the 99’ Plim still haunts my soul every time I see it.

I kicked a tree outside after that game..many times in rage.

I've unfortunately seen it way too many times but this was the first time I appreciated how good the crumb, and then the little feint afterwards, was. Sigh.

Squeaky

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2005
Up north
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought the saga was handled poorly (well yes, the ACTUAL saga) but also in the doco

All they pretty much did was narrate a time line like we didn't already know what happened...we lived it too, of course we know the time line! I kind of hoped for a little depth, a little background, a little reflection with hindsight - its like they were still in the same guarded battle mode from 7 years ago. I dont think i learned a single thing that i didnt already know. It was probably a great opportunity to lay a few things out on the table and deep dive - perhaps its still too soon. Not much said about impacts on stoic fans either, we are as much part of the club as the rest.

I guess overall i expected more from the whole series, it was a bit of the old school AFL doco that we used to get, i think 'making their mark' raised the bar and my expectations were still up there with it. Was easy enough viewing, apart from Hulmes dramatic slow motion narration..

It just made me feel really sad for Jobe. It seems that he will come out of this looking more credible than anyone despite the fact he lost more than anyone...
and for what?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just finished up the last two episodes.

Thought Hird & Jobe both came off well, probably showed Jobe as a person carrying the weight of responsibility better than we've had previously, and just how hard-working and tough Hird was as a player.

If people were expecting a deep-dive in to the ASADA period they're watching the wrong documentary, though it covered it well enough from the perspective of it being a bit of a summary 150 year history touching upon the major figures and events over the stretch.

Overall it was an enjoyable watch, covered a lot of time so you didn't necessarily experience in-person, gave you a sense of the major people and events through the club's history. Nothing too intense, showed a little bit of the personal side of the guys you've heard about.

Just finished up the last two episodes.

Thought Hird & Jobe both came off well, probably showed Jobe as a person carrying the weight of responsibility better than we've had previously, and just how hard-working and tough Hird was as a player.

If people were expecting a deep-dive in to the ASADA period they're watching the wrong documentary, though it covered it well enough from the perspective of it being a bit of a summary 150 year history touching upon the major figures and events over the stretch.

Overall it was an enjoyable watch, covered a lot of time so you didn't necessarily experience in-person, gave you a sense of the major people and events through the club's history. Nothing too intense, showed a little bit of the personal side of the guys you've heard about.

I actually think the AFL should put together a series on each team. Build up the history and use it as a tool to grow the knowledge in younger fans.

There is a bit of buzz in younger generations after watching The Last Dance who are hungry to learn.
Package it right and you may increase a bit of the general knowledge in the league and get some growth.
I think it's really important that younger generations learn what came before, that was the biggest thing for me about the Essendon series. My general knowledge of the club is poor aside from what I've experienced and that was from about 99 onwards.

I had, was it bomberblitz? VHS when I was a kid that I watched a lot and loved it at the time.
I'd like to think a new product by AFL would give the same joy to younger fans.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I actually think the AFL should put together a series on each team. Build up the history and use it as a tool to grow the knowledge in younger fans.

There is a bit of buzz in younger generations after watching The Last Dance who are hungry to learn.
Package it right and you may increase a bit of the general knowledge in the league and get some growth.
I think it's really important that younger generations learn what came before, that was the biggest thing for me about the Essendon series. My general knowledge of the club is poor aside from what I've experienced and that was from about 99 onwards.

I had, was it bomberblitz? VHS when I was a kid that I watched a lot and loved it at the time.
I'd like to think a new product by AFL would give the same joy to younger fans.

The AFL sort of had that with the Making Their Mark series, if that became an annual thing like the F1 does with Drive To Survive, I think it would have a really positive impact on connecting supporters to the club and players.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
I remember as soon as Murphy took off and kicked it I got up and went straight outside. I couldn’t bear to hear the siren.

I was livid half with the loss and half with the fact it was ******* Carlton

absolute preliminary final misery
Bro, you should’ve tried being in standing room.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Bro, you should’ve tried being in standing room.

A horrific experience I have no doubt.

I was on the GC then.
After kicking a tree in the backyard I went for a walk down to a lake and vigorously chucked rocks in the water for an hour.

My son was 2 months old having an afternoon sleep

I had to endure the last qrt in silence feeling the fear of defeat to Cartoon rising with every fumble.

It’s worse than the plugger scg final

because CFC

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
1996, norf would’ve obliterated us the next week. Blessing in disguise. Our ressies played the next week and were pumped. So many injuries. 1999, threw it away. The worst thing for us was the siren going for 3/4 time, we were playing Harlem globetrotting type s**t, taking the piss out of that filth.
Its funny that no one mentions the re-match in the 2thou finals series where we had the weight of the world on our shoulders and out we came and finished those campaigners.
I love 2thou for many reasons, one being ca*lton, played 3, won 3. I will take that to my grave.

The saga part brought home the absolute injustice to the players and especially Jobe. I’m shocked Jobe and his dad aren’t more angry with the club…ruined his reputation, not to us but outside world. The whole WADA decision and their light touch on Russia years later makes me sick as well. But some at Essendon at the time that should hang their heads, Hird and Bomber included

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Catching up on the doco and binged up to ep6 tonight. The way Blethyn was shown leading to the football reminded me of Harry. Also didn't realise Harvs was so young. Looked like a 13yo in the blabbering interview with Salmon.

One of my most vivid memories of the '84 GF was in the 3rd quarter, when Frank Dunnell was running & bouncing the ball on the southern stand wing. Mark Harvey ran about 50 metres to lay a shepherd. You only see the last few metres on the footage, but that marked the exact point where I thought "We are still in this".

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
The saga part brought home the absolute injustice to the players and especially Jobe. I’m shocked Jobe and his dad aren’t more angry with the club…ruined his reputation, not to us but outside world. The whole WADA decision and their light touch on Russia years later makes me sick as well. But some at Essendon at the time that should hang their heads, Hird and Bomber included
I think Bomber has definitely suffered the guilt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Two things I may never get over:
1) 99 prelim (Wallis!)
2) The saga and in particular what it did to Hird and Jobe.

David Evans should be written out of EFC history and his name never written or spoke of again. I’ll always struggle with XC as well.

We should list Jobe as a Brownlow Medallist on our website and other club publications.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have to give credit to Neil Kearney and the historians involved. To get so many interviews. To find so much history that we perhaps didn't know about. Perhaps it does lack something from pre-1930s - I am sure Albert Thurgood could get an entire episode.

Would love to see an Essendon fan documentary so that we on the other side of the fence tell OUR stories.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Have to give credit to Neil Kearney and the historians involved. To get so many interviews. To find so much history that we perhaps didn't know about. Perhaps it does lack something from pre-1930s - I am sure Albert Thurgood could get an entire episode.

Would love to see an Essendon fan documentary so that we on the other side of the fence tell OUR stories.
The clubs historian (emeritus), Maplestone who wrote ‘Flying Higher’ and ‘Those Magnificent Men’ interviewed almost every living EFC player over the years and he argues strongly that Albert Thurgood was the greatest player to play for the club. No doubt.

Unfortunately the need to sell function tickets and other revenue opportunities Possibly influenced the broader decision to elevate other clubs greats above the great Thurgood in an effort to connect the history more effectivelywith the clubs supporter base.

Thurgood played every position, was tall, kicked the ball mikes and won games playing in all areas of the ground. He was reportedly a freak.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Forget changing the logo ... It's time to end our ludicrous stance on our away kit. That all red abomination is hideous.
I actually wanted to post the same thing. It's horrible.

A red guernsey with a black sash would be one of the best guernseys in the league. Surely the constitution can be amended?
If not, then put a thin red line in the middle of the black sash and call it a red sash.

Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I actually wanted to post the same thing. It's horrible.

A red guernsey with a black sash would be one of the best guernseys in the league. Surely the constitution can be amended?
If not, then put a thin red line in the middle of the black sash and call it a red sash.

It's frustrating, I feel like we picked a very small hill to die on in regards to this issue.

I personally don't believe clash jumpers have ever been required, and I respected the original reluctance to adopt one. However, once the AFL had decided it was going to be mandatory I feel that we should have been leaders in this new market. We have one of the largest fan bases in the game and yet our alternate strips are so bad that I can't recall ever seeing a supporter wear one at a game.

I have never believed that changing our strip or whatever would dilute our brand, take a look at this;

1637196277741.png

This is a Manchester United top, celebrating them winning the 1968 European Title ... they are selling replica's of this top today ... I don't think the fact that it's not red has damaged Man U's brand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back