Essendon Football Club Punishment

Remove this Banner Ad

This.

For me it's done. Yes it was handled very badly from day one, but I'd expect nothing less from the corrupt AFL, they love to fiddle with the results.

I clapped the Essendon players when they ran out against us this year, that was a clean gutsy team. And I'll do the same next year. Let he who has no sin cast the first stone.

For the sake of our great game, let it go. Yes, I'll read the book if the truth gets out, and I still think the medal should be handed back. but for me, on the field it's done.

Even if they get pick one, it will be a long fight back. I believe the suspensions had to happen, but the players have paid for their blind faith in their leaders, and it's done.

If Jobe came out and won the Brownlow next year I'd applaud him. But I'm guessing he's cooked.
Sorry.

But if this funky episode has taught us one thing, it's that our great game is no longer a great game.

It's an entertainment industry. It's a choreographed spectacle designed to generate money.

It is not a great game. It's just not. You can love it still, sure. But you can no longer claim to be part of this great game that we all grew up with.

You're now just a consumer, buying a product.

If it's taught us anything else, it's that it's not 'our' game at all.

Did the crime, have done the time.
The lingering stain of what they have done will hang around for 10-20 years, and then will probably be forgotten about.
The stain will last forever.

But the impact will be over quickly. The AFL wil, and already have, ensured that the punishment did not fit the crime.

The wet lettuce leaf that the AFL flogged Essendon with was nothing compared to the damage that Essendon self inflicted on themselves. This could have gone away so much earlier had they played ball.

This means we have to remove the self damage from the AFL inflicted damages and in no way has the AFL provided an appropriate punishment especially as Essendon have not been prosecuted for their drug taking, just losing the spreadsheet. A ridiculous and pathetic situation.

Sorry.

But if this funky episode has taught us one thing, it's that our great game is no longer a great game.

It's an entertainment industry. It's a choreographed spectacle designed to generate money.

It is not a great game. It's just not. You can love it still, sure. But you can no longer claim to be part of this great game that we all grew up with.

You're now just a consumer, buying a product.

If it's taught us anything else, it's that it's not 'our' game at all.
No, I refuse to believe that, or I may as well cash in my membership.

Just like you Phill.

Attempting to change the subject does nothing to address what is a relevant question, if he no longer watches, goes and has handed his membership what exactly is his point in Being here.

But you can attempt cheap and misguided points.

Carry on you are doing a sterling job

Attempting to change the subject does nothing to address what is a relevant question, if he no longer watches, goes and has handed his membership what exactly is his point in Being here.

But you can attempt cheap and misguided points.

Carry on you are doing a sterling job
What a sad soul, trolling people who actually have an interest in drug free footy. I think your anger and resentment is quite funny. Thanks phil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet you still bang on here endlessly.

Don't care, just can't stop talking about it
Essendon doping and trying to weasel out of it, whilst the sports governing body attempts to get them off - is a topic I'm obviously very interested in.

I don't talk about the footy much at all. The sport sickens now me to be honest.

Last edited:
Yet you hang around this board like a perpetual bad smell - what is all that about ?.
I handed back my membership as a result of this saga and the way it was handled.

I'd have thought the correlation between me being on this board regularly and my refusal to buy the AFL's product is pretty obvious.

I handed back my membership as a result of this saga and the way it was handled.

I'd have thought the correlation between me being on this board regularly and my refusal to buy the AFL's product is pretty obvious.

You are buying it by being here, not that I care, couldn't give a stuff about you and the fact you finally worked out that footy is just entertainment.

What did you think it was previously ?

You do see the quality irony in your post yeah?

If you think by pointing out yours ?.

See the circle jerk board wins every time.

Decent question though, when did you discover that football is both an entertainment and a business ?, and what did you actually think it was prior to this momentous brain wave ?.

If you think by pointing out yours ?.

See the circle jerk board wins every time.

Decent question though, when did you discover that football is both an entertainment and a business ?, and what did you actually think it was prior to this momentous brain wave ?.
I think if you look, this board is not just about footy, "drugs in sport"

I think if you look, this board is not just about footy, "drugs in sport"

The circle jerk board must protect its own - i totally understand, i would not expect anyone to go against the grain and question why someone would bother posting here for years when he doesn't even like or follow footy any more.

How silly of me to even point it out.

It was once a genuine sporting competition that was entertaining.

It made money in order to survive. And the entire point of it surviving, was so we would have a genuine sporting competition.

The sporting competition part has gone.

It's now stage managed and choreographed to ensure more people watch it. The sporting competition has been sacrificed to make it more entertaining to more consumers looking to be entertained.

That's Ok. It is what it is.

But I don't find the product they've created as entertaining as others that are freely available.

The part I enjoyed, wasn't about me being entertained as such. It was about clubs competing against each other on their merits in a balanced and even sporting competition.

For me, when I hear the CEO say things like 'the competition needs Sydney to be competitive every year' and 'we know Essendon gave their players banned drugs, but we'll probably never know what they actually took ...... but I hope WADA don't appeal cause we need Essendon to be strong again and we'll help them get back up as soon as possible', I think to myself 'no, what the competition needs is a random draw. It needs home grounds for clubs to play home games at.'

Of course the people that make a very, very good living off the industry need Sydney to be competitive every year, and need Essendon to get away with systematic doping - but the competition doesn't.
The people that rip millions out of the comp each year need St Kilda to play home finals against Melbourne at the MCG, and need Sydney to play at Telstra Stadium - but the competition doesn't.

So I'm not really here to argue whether modern footy is s**t or not. That's up to the consumer. As the AFL Marketing guy said on SEN the other week - "It's up to the supporters how they choose to consume our product."

But I just don't find it entertaining. And as there is no legitimate competition involved, I just find other sports and pastimes far more entertaining.

And of course, same as I refuse to buy James Hardie products or sports gear that is made by child slaves, I refuse to directly support the direction the AFL has taken by handing over my money. They're liars, cheats and conmen sacrificing our game for their own financial gain.

They've lied and mislead the public for their own gain. I can't respect that, and can't support it.

This scandal was the most blatant case of it you could ever want to see. Maybe only FIFA and their World Cup selection crew are worse than what the AFL served up throughout this.

My club's silence throughout this saga was a classic case of the whole industry wanting it all to just go away so they could all go on making a quid off suckers like you that still go and scream for 'their' club each week, without realising that it's not actually a club anymore, but instead a department targeting a consumer base for the biggest entertainment business in the land.

I don't talk about footy on here.

Last edited:
The circle jerk board must protect its own - i totally understand, i would not expect anyone to go against the grain and question why someone would bother posting here for years when he doesn't even like or follow footy any more.

How silly of me to even point it out.

Don't take it personally, Phil I'm sure they think you are "fabulous"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back