General Bombers Talk Essendon Football related COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

I searched and could not find an Essendon specific football COVID-19 thread and given the weekend's events I thought I may as well create one.

To say I'm somewhat peeved at the club and to a lesser extend Connor is an understatement. Why am I more annoyed at the club? The following snippets from published articles:

the league strongly advised clubs not to divide the team up into forwards, backs and midfielders when deciding the composition of their small groups, in case they were to have one entire line wiped out by quarantine.

"The AFL is not considering postponing the entire round, but the Essendon-Carlton game remains in doubt.

The AFL's view is that the small training groups were designed for this contingency, so that if a player tested positive they could limit the number of others potentially affected. If a small group was all put in quarantine, the league said it would be akin to a group of players getting gastro and the game going ahead.

It is also the reason the league strongly advised clubs not to divide the team up into forwards, backs and midfielders
when deciding the composition of their small groups, in case they were to have one entire line wiped out by quarantine.

The clubs were initially told to divide players into small groups of eight but that was later increased to nine."

So, don't group forwards, backs and mid together was the advice, which seems pretty sensible to mean. I mean I'm not a rocket scientist but even I can see that losing an entire group to isolation *might* cause a team some slight inconvenience.

But of course we ignored this

"The fact the AFL will need to reschedule at least one Essendon match – yesterday’s postponed game against Melbourne – and possibly more, has added an extra layer of complexity onto the already vexed nature of the redrawn 2020 fixture.

But instead of the matches being rescheduled, the Dons could be forced to go in without McKenna as well as Adam Saad, Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley, Matt Guelfi, Jordan Ridley and Mason Redman, all of whom have been in the Irishman’s small training group, if they are deemed to be ‘‘close contacts’’ of McKenna."

So, despite advice to the contrary we grouped the following players together:

Connor Mckenna
Adam Saad
Cale Hooker
Michael Hurley
Matt Guelfi
Jordan Ridley
Mason Redman

Even if the plan was to play Mckenna forward WHY WHY WHY would we have the rest of those players in ONE group? It defies belief that we can be so poorly run so soon after the ASAGA, it’s as though we’ve learned nothing. I had hoped that we might have started to become more professional but this has me questioning that.

Last edited:
I searched and could not find an Essendon specific football COVID-19 thread and given the weekend's events I thought I may as well create one.

To say I'm somewhat peeved at the club and to a lesser extend Connor is an understatement. Why am I more annoyed at the club? The following snippets from published articles:

the league strongly advised clubs not to divide the team up into forwards, backs and midfielders when deciding the composition of their small groups, in case they were to have one entire line wiped out by quarantine.

"The AFL is not considering postponing the entire round, but the Essendon-Carlton game remains in doubt.

The AFL's view is that the small training groups were designed for this contingency, so that if a player tested positive they could limit the number of others potentially affected. If a small group was all put in quarantine, the league said it would be akin to a group of players getting gastro and the game going ahead.

It is also the reason the league strongly advised clubs not to divide the team up into forwards, backs and midfielders
when deciding the composition of their small groups, in case they were to have one entire line wiped out by quarantine.

The clubs were initially told to divide players into small groups of eight but that was later increased to nine."

So, don't group forwards, backs and mid together was the advice, which seems pretty sensible to mean. I mean I'm not a rocket scientist but even I can see that losing an entire group to isolation *might* cause a team some slight inconvenience.

But of course we ignored this

"The fact the AFL will need to reschedule at least one Essendon match – yesterday’s postponed game against Melbourne – and possibly more, has added an extra layer of complexity onto the already vexed nature of the redrawn 2020 fixture.

But instead of the matches being rescheduled, the Dons could be forced to go in without McKenna as well as Adam Saad, Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley, Matt Guelfi, Jordan Ridley and Mason Redman, all of whom have been in the Irishman’s small training group, if they are deemed to be ‘‘close contacts’’ of McKenna."

So, despite advice to the contrary we grouped the following players together:

Connor Mckenna
Adam Saad
Cale Hooker
Michael Hurley
Matt Guelfi
Jordan Ridley
Mason Redman

Even if the plan was to play Mckenna forward WHY WHY WHY would we have the rest of those players in ONE group? It defies belief that we can be so poorly run so soon after the ASAGA, it’s as though we’ve learned nothing. I had hoped that we might have started to become more professional but this has me questioning that.

I think you're reading too much in to this.

Most teams wouldn't be training their defenders across multiple separate groups at this point is my guess. It's not exactly simple to train a defensive strategy without the defenders ever actually training together after all.

We seem to be "unlucky" far too often.

Between the drug saga, our lack of finals success and now this we are a complete laughing stock.

I'd love to be able to tell people at a BBQ that I barrack for Essendon with a bit of pride one day instead of with a sense of anxiety knowing what is coming.

Between the drug saga, our lack of finals success and now this we are a complete laughing stock.

I'd love to be able to tell people at a BBQ that I barrack for Essendon with a bit of pride one day instead of with a sense of anxiety knowing what is coming.
Pretty sure someone has their toe on the scales lol.

lol

Show some pride in the sash mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are generally no single events (that can be seen externally) that can 100% prove the club is substandard (though drugs sagas are a pretty clear indication). All you get are small consistent signs - every single one is easily minimialised - and those calling 'fire' considered negative or reading too much into things or overreacting etc.

Connor is another small indicator - if he was an isolated case of a player not toeing the line then so be it but then there's - his wedding/Gaelic/homesickness 'story' and BZT and Joe wanting out and Raz having 'conversations' both in a stupid leadership group (that Zaka is somehow now in) plus 2 ruined starts to seasons and fitness staff getting sacked and assistant coaches mid season, Head coaches being re-signed prematurely despite no success etc.

Yeah, just another bad luck story being overplayed here - really odd it didn't happen at Hawthorn.

i would be surprised if clubs are adhering to the training recommendations and breaking their groups up.
Its a dice that's rolled. We got found out because we had a player test positive.

Had there been 24-48hrs difference in his incubation period, we'd have a scenario where 22 players & staff, plus 22 players and staff from Melbourne would have been impacted.
Matter of degrees really.

There are generally no single events (that can be seen externally) that can 100% prove the club is substandard (though drugs sagas are a pretty clear indication). All you get are small consistent signs - every single one is easily minimialised - and those calling 'fire' considered negative or reading too much into things or overreacting etc.

Connor is another small indicator - if he was an isolated case of a player not toeing the line then so be it but then there's - his wedding/Gaelic/homesickness 'story' and BZT and Joe wanting out and Raz having 'conversations' both in a stupid leadership group (that Zaka is somehow now in) plus 2 ruined starts to seasons and fitness staff getting sacked and assistant coaches mid season, Head coaches being re-signed prematurely despite no success etc.

Yeah, just another bad luck story being overplayed here - really odd it didn't happen at Hawthorn.

I agree, I am usually a pretty staunch defender of the club and give them the benefit of doubt but the amount of "small consistent signs" is hurting.

People will always blindly defend the club, that's understandable. The problem is we may have people like that within the club and therefore won't get the change we need.

Currently the club behaves like it's some untouchable powerhouse when in fact its a success starved organisation with a history of breaking the rules.

We just constantly make decisions that allow the rest of the league to laugh at us.

I think you're reading too much in to this.

Most teams wouldn't be training their defenders across multiple separate groups at this point is my guess. It's not exactly simple to train a defensive strategy without the defenders ever actually training together after all.
Apparently us and Richmond the only 2 teams who grouped lines together

You'd think two groups of 6 for each part of the ground made up of 50/50 best 22 and fringe would be the way to go.

Defence A

Hooker
Saad
Ambrose
McKenna
McQuillan
Guelfi

Defence B

Hurley
Redman
Francis
Ridley
Gleeson
McBride

I can't really think why it would be that much more beneficial to have 3 more people in either group. i guess it comes down to 4 v 5 or 3/2 v 3/4.

Agree with your 100% there. Its beyond a joke now.

Apparently us and Richmond the only 2 teams who grouped lines together

Can't imagine too many clubs admitting to it, but I wouldn't think every club has all their players from a line training completely separately all the time. They might start doing it now for a few weeks until the anxiety settles, then run the gamble again.

Football clubs and players aren't so different to the normal community, and plenty of people I know have been very lax in their social distancing around friends or family the last few weeks. Plenty of social media where there's people getting together out at a restaurant and hugging and getting close. I think the BLM protests really took away the sense of caution and apprehension people have been feeling (along with a few other things).

You'd think two groups of 6 for each part of the ground made up of 50/50 best 22 and fringe would be the way to go.

Defence A

Hooker
Saad
Ambrose
McKenna
McQuillan
Guelfi

Defence B

Hurley
Redman
Francis
Ridley
Gleeson
McBride

I can't really think why it would be that much more beneficial to have 3 more people in either group. i guess it comes down to 4 v 5 or 3/2 v 3/4.

You'd think ideally they'd section off 'types' e.g. Hooker & Zerk-Thatcher should be separate given they play a similar role, Ambrose & Hurley, Gleeson & Ridley, Redman & Saad.

You'd think ideally they'd section off 'types' e.g. Hooker & Zerk-Thatcher should be separate given they play a similar role, Ambrose & Hurley, Gleeson & Ridley, Redman & Saad.

For sure, as far we can based on the list. In reality Gleeson and Ridley would be smalls because we don't have a lot of smalls.

I was trying to even out the quality but there are too many smalls in group A.

I also forgot BZT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back