General Bombers Talk Essendon Football related COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a sign a wider lockdown is on the way, was looking forward to dreamtime :(

Or part of AFL doing what it can to enable them to operate across borders.
May be part of agreements for exemptions

Reported that GCS vs Hawthorn postponed. Was to be in Darwin but they worried about restrictions to be announced soon by NT. Not really clear why they dont play it somewhere else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've already travelled 5 times this year (after this week) and only had one game with true home ground advantage vs Fremantle. Imagine if our run of Melbourne games moves interstate? The AFL shouldn't make such a lopsided fixture, especially with the uncertainty of COVID.

To put it in perspective, Fremantle is the only team with more interstate travel than us and they swapped a home game with Brisbane.

We've already travelled 5 times this year (after this week) and only had one game with true home ground advantage vs Fremantle. Imagine if our run of Melbourne games moves interstate? The AFL shouldn't make such a lopsided fixture, especially with the uncertainty of COVID.

To put it in perspective, Fremantle is the only team with more interstate travel than us and they swapped a home game with Brisbane.

Bring it on I reckon.
As much travelling experience and grind to get up for games as possible to keep exposing this group to challenges.
Need to build the anytime anywhere mentality.
After all the travel if we ever get a run of home games with no travel like what Richmond get then we will be golden. Will seem easy*.

The more examples the young players get about what it takes to be a successful professional footballer the better. It also gives more and more examples to us as fans and even Merrett that this group is different to what has been served up before.

Edit: *obviously I'm talking about easy in future when we are challenging. Not this year.

Bring it on I reckon.
As much travelling experience and grind to get up for games as possible to keep exposing this group to challenges.
Need to build the anytime anywhere mentality.
After all the travel if we ever get a run of home games with no travel like what Richmond get then we will be golden. Will seem easy*.

The more examples the young players get about what it takes to be a successful professional footballer the better. It also gives more and more examples to us as fans and even Merrett that this group is different to what has been served up before.

Edit: *obviously I'm talking about easy in future when we are challenging. Not this year.
I guess that's a possibility, but things went south very quickly the last time we stayed in a hub. I don't want a repeat of that.

Depending on the cases, it's possible that we could stay in Perth for a couple more games. Perhaps we play Fremantle again instead of one of our double ups. The only interstate teams we haven't played away are Adelaide, Gold Coast and Fremantle so we're running out of options.

Since Carlton are already interstate, perhaps they may join us in a Perth hub to play us, WC and Fremantle there.

Useful timing ahead with the byes. Allows them to re-jig things slightly. Can always suspend the season for 2 weeks if needs be, use the bye to catch up 1 week and hold the GF 1 week later. This isn't anything like last year's situation just yet.

Unfortunately they're the away team. We're hosting the Perth game if it goes ahead.
We have more supporters over there anyway (think only WC and Freo have more, with us and Carlton neck and neck). I would also like to think we're generally more liked than Richmond

It's going to be very hard for the AFL to get much of round 12 in by the looks of it. This week is easier as they got Ess and Carl out of Melbourne early enough, whilst Bris plays GWS and Port plays Freeo. They cancelled GCS vs Haw but should have got Hawks out and played it somewhere else if NT were being difficult. Probably going to have to cancel Rich vs Adel as presumably hard for Crows to go back home without quarantine. But next week, there is a much stronger overlap of Vic and non Vic teams playing despite the first lot of byes happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back