General Bombers Talk Essendon Football related COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Clunky how?
Didn't save my details, had to enter everything over and over again, took ages to load (though that may have been a phone issue).

Surely Vic has a state based myGov app. Our covid checkin was added to the mySA Gov app. You don't need a mySA Gov account, it just adds an icon at the bottom of the app home page.

First time you use it you enter your details and that's it. My 75 year old parents have had zero issues with it. All businesses know where they register and most have many QR scaning sheets at the entrance, exit, checkouts, tables, bars, whatever. It's almost harder to not comply than comply.

We started to get a bit lax like everywhere though so about a month ago the govt announced a blitz where police would do checks of venues across a week. $5k for the business, $1k for the individual gor not scanning. Scared me into 100% compliance again. I do think it's rough on the business, especially if a small place with minimal staff run off their feet they can't monitor everyone. Not sure how many fines were dished out either but the announcement increased focus for all

Surely Vic has a state based myGov app. Our covid checkin was added to the mySA Gov app. You don't need a mySA Gov account, it just adds an icon at the bottom of the app home page.

First time you use it you enter your details and that's it. My 75 year old parents have had zero issues with it. All businesses know where they register and most have many QR scaning sheets at the entrance, exit, checkouts, tables, bars, whatever. It's almost harder to not comply than comply.

We started to get a bit lax like everywhere though so about a month ago the govt announced a blitz where police would do checks of venues across a week. $5k for the business, $1k for the individual gor not scanning. Scared me into 100% compliance again. I do think it's rough on the business, especially if a small place with minimal staff run off their feet they can't monitor everyone. Not sure how many fines were dished out either but the announcement increased focus for all

Theres a VIC one now, but until Friday (as in tomorrow) businesses haven’t been required to use that one and have instead been allowed to use almost any other QR check in service

We are very unlucky in Victoria that a man who caught the virus in South Australian quarantine, came to Melbourne and unwittingly and unknowingly seeded the virus. Then you have 2 of the current cases displaying symptoms for 10 and 7 days respectively and traversing Melbourne and not getting tested it staying home. A year and a half of the virus being known and the federal government still won't take control of quarantine, which is a federal responsibility. Then the absolute calamity of the vaccine rollout, another federal government responsibility. Surely Melbourne should have been a focus to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible after what happened last year. Then you have some people in the media driving an agenda to create anger and frustration at lockdowns.

This is all eerily has a feeling of deja vu to a year ago. A week is nothing, but this feels like the lockdown is going to last longer than that. We should not have been in this position again but we are. It's very frustrating.

We are very unlucky in Victoria that a man who caught the virus in South Australian quarantine, came to Melbourne and unwittingly and unknowingly seeded the virus. Then you have 2 of the current cases displaying symptoms for 10 and 7 days respectively and traversing Melbourne and not getting tested it staying home. A year and a half of the virus being known and the federal government still won't take control of quarantine, which is a federal responsibility. Then the absolute calamity of the vaccine rollout, another federal government responsibility. Surely Melbourne should have been a focus to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible after what happened last year. Then you have some people in the media driving an agenda to create anger and frustration at lockdowns.

This is all eerily has a feeling of deja vu to a year ago. A week is nothing, but this feels like the lockdown is going to last longer than that. We should not have been in this position again but we are. It's very frustrating.

Feels a bit like people got comfortable and slacked off.
The advice never slacked off, if you were unwell you get tested. These people didn't and have undone a lot of good work.
I feel for the businesses. Not only will the lockdown hurt them it pushes back the progress they made of getting people actually going back into the city.

Makes me glad to live in Qld. We've made mistakes, but we haven't had to endure what the Vics have gone through.

All of my family still live down there, from both parents recovering from cance, to kids and Grandchildren.

I've been fortunate enough that to a certain extent this hasn't really affected me, still had a job to go to and was able to experience most of the activities that I enjoy. Having the footy up here last year was a real bonus.

Stay safe Vics.

Test result came back negative. Also just heard one of the guys I was going up to Brisbane to watch compete has had to pull out as he was part of team that has had two others require to isolate.

I really hope the Fed Govt pulls it's finger out in relation to quarantine and the vaccination rollout. I've had my first AZ shot as it was opened up to over 50s, waiting until August for the second.

Also if it's true there were symptomatic people not isolating I hope the Karma bus finds them. Given everything that's happened over the past year that's the height of selfishness.

Test result came back negative. Also just heard one of the guys I was going up to Brisbane to watch compete has had to pull out as he was part of team that has had two others require to isolate.

I really hope the Fed Govt pulls it's finger out in relation to quarantine and the vaccination rollout. I've had my first AZ shot as it was opened up to over 50s, waiting until August for the second.

Also if it's true there were symptomatic people not isolating I hope the Karma bus finds them. Given everything that's happened over the past year that's the height of selfishness.

Federal and State Govt. Despite all the BS that goes on both parties are heavily involved in what is going on.
Lets face it the Vic Govt asked for hundreds of millions to build a quarantine center at Mickleham that did not have a business plan or had even had local council consultation . I think the Fed Govt should certainly be looking at building dedicated quarantine centers as soon as possible but there has been a lot of BS coming out of the State Govt as well.

I feel for the businesses. Not only will the lockdown hurt them it pushes back the progress they made of getting people actually going back into the city.

This. A week lockdown would likely mean another fortnight (or longer) before people start returning to offices.

Federal and State Govt. Despite all the BS that goes on both parties are heavily involved in what is going on.
Lets face it the Vic Govt asked for hundreds of millions to build a quarantine center at Mickleham that did not have a business plan or had even had local council consultation . I think the Fed Govt should certainly be looking at building dedicated quarantine centers as soon as possible but there has been a lot of BS coming out of the State Govt as well.

The state Govt hasn't covered itself with glory, however both quarantine and Vaccination are a Fed responsibility. They've had over a year to build a facility and have been content to sit back and do nothing. Not good enough.

Yep, was seething when I heard case no. 1 in this cluster was symptomatic for a week before getting tested. We can get grumpy at state/fed gov (I know I have) but really it comes down to weather you're a team player or not it seems.
The state Govt hasn't covered itself with glory, however both quarantine and Vaccination are a Fed responsibility. They've had over a year to build a facility and have been content to sit back and do nothing. Not good enough.

The s**t thing is a global pandemic has become a political s**t fight.

At the end of the day if people just didn't act like children this virus would not have done the damage it has done.

Don't take shortcuts.
Spend money to do things the right way.
Do what your told.
Don't panic.
Don't take advantage of the situation to make a gain.

Everyone in this entire story has stuffed up, politicians, decisions makers, and the general public.
The general IQ of the population is incredibly low. If we were to grow as a species something needs to be done to educate the masses, if indeed it can be done at all.

Or some facility offshore where you can house people and decide when it's safe to let them into the population.........:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What part of council consultation and state planning approval do you not understand ?
Yes quarantine is a Fed Govt responsibility and they provide the funds but they can not just roll in and build a facility wherever they want.
I agree it is not good enough but this is a state and fed issue. Both parts have to get their s**t together before anything can be built.
So far to my knowledge there has been one request from state level. It was announced on the spot without any sort of business plan and without the local council even knowing about it. The business case has only recently been lodged with the FED Govt and the council still has not been fully consulted. I know this as it is close to where I live and there has been plenty of noise about it.
Scott Morrison should be on the front foot and urging states to come forward with plans so they can build them. I agree with that.

Or some facility offshore where you can house people and decide when it's safe to let them into the population.........:D
Christmas Island. Oh wait ScoMo wanted to do that in February 2020 but got wacked by the media and plenty of others.:D

Christmas Island. Oh wait ScoMo wanted to do that in February 2020 but got wacked by the media and plenty of others.:D
missed that.
i was being a little facetious with that one

Still surprised the Fed Govt didn't pull rank on this and take the reins on quarantine.
pick a few spots to take over as national quarantine centres, etc, etc.

not that it matters really.
If this was a test for a zombie virus, we'd all be ****ed.
Weeks to ground flights, lax on masks, etc. etc.

The testing is a pain. Hours of waiting to be tested today because myself and Mrs Ant where at the footy in the last of the level 3 bays mentioned. We where closer to the people in the next bay than the majority of the bays mentioned. Being fully vaccinated was no help as far as having to get tested and now sit around waiting for the results.
Compared to the Queensland testing site I went to ours seem to be rather inefficient as far as how the cars are moved through the site and how they collect the info before they try and clean the bottom of your brain through your nose.
I can not understand why they do not have a testing app where they scan your info rather than spending 5 to 10 minutes entering it.
I got tested last week in Vic. QR code at the gate and a form to fill out on the phone, my phone auto-fills most of it except the medicare number so that's pretty quick. Gives you a code to give them at the front of the queue. They double check the details on an iPad, swab your sinuses and you're good to go. To be fair, a week ago it was drive in and drive out in about 10 minutes. Different to last year with the paper forms, I've been tested three times and it changes each time. It also seems to vary between testing sites. 🤷‍♀️

Because Victoria.

We also have the worst QR check-in app of the three states I've been to and used (WA, TAS, VIC).

It's like they're allergic to looking at what works elsewhere and learning from it.
I haven't had any problems with the ServicesVIC app, scan the QR code and it remembers my details so I just hit go. Even my technologically challenged old man has it figured out. But it drives me nuts if I go somewhere that uses some other system like a Google Form or some other s**t. I reckon one of those 3rd party ones put my email address on a spam list too. 😒

At work we don't use a Services VIC QR code because we have to scan into the building and then scan into each room or section of the building with staff cards, so I'll be pretty annoyed if we now have to do QR codes at work whenever we move around the building. There are QR codes anyway for visitors but yeah. When you're trying to go from point A to point B through a maze of security doors you don't wanna be stopping to scan a QR code all the time.

Like the QR codes are good because it's centralised, but it's so damned easy to scan the card and the card is more precise, I don't think there will be distinctive QR codes for every room in the place. I guess I'll know when I see it but I'm guessing they'll still use the staff card system in addition to the QR code for the building or floor/zone so they know exactly who was where, when and with whom. Probably be a bit like the football stadium where you have a QR code for the zone but then they check your allocated seat as well.

Yep, was seething when I heard case no. 1 in this cluster was symptomatic for a week before getting tested. We can get grumpy at state/fed gov (I know I have) but really it comes down to weather you're a team player or not it seems.
This stuff is really frustrating. The usual suspects in the media are trying to pin it on the contact tracing again but the contact tracing wouldn't be necessary in the first place if people followed the extremely simple instructions that have been played ad nauseum since day one of the pandemic. Now he's got to live with the fact that he has nearly singlehandedly caused another lockdown.

Then there was the guy who could've been vaccinated months ago but chose not to and is now on a vent and probably going to die.

Remind which other countries have built quarantine facilities for incoming travellers?

Remind which other countries have built quarantine facilities for incoming travellers?
Remind which country is its own continent thousands of miles away from anyone else and has nearly zero infections? And has hotel quarantine to the level we do?

I got tested last week in Vic. QR code at the gate and a form to fill out on the phone, my phone auto-fills most of it except the medicare number so that's pretty quick. Gives you a code to give them at the front of the queue. They double check the details on an iPad, swab your sinuses and you're good to go. To be fair, a week ago it was drive in and drive out in about 10 minutes. Different to last year with the paper forms, I've been tested three times and it changes each time. It also seems to vary between testing sites. 🤷‍♀️
Have had 9 tests over the last 12 months mainly due to work situations and having to go interstate at times. There seems to be different systems at the various sites. Had to get tested after the footy last week and at this site they where manually entering the data in one tent and testing in the next tent. It was painfully slow. Would have been quicker if we where doing the same as your experience. With the large numbers it was always going to be slow.
When we got tested in QLD they had 4 people with tablets collecting the personal details which made it a lot quicker as they worked along the line of cars.

One thing I will say is we have been complacent. I have to admit at times I have not used the QR check in. Have used it when I have been sitting down for a meal or at the supermarket but have forgotten to do so at the truck stops for a toilet break or fuel stops and there are plenty who have not used it at all. On top of that my experience is in Vic the traders have not been as strict enforcing it. Even yesterday there where people entering the supermarket with no mask and nothing was said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back