Essendon have NOT admitted to a systemic program of giving players banned PED

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon Football Club chairman David Evans has issued the following statement:

Contrary to media reports, the Essendon Football Club has never conceded that our players have been given banned substances in 2012.

We asked for the ASADA and AFL investigation and out of respect to the players, those investigations must be completed without prejudice.

I want to repeat, our club has not conceded that our players have been given banned substances in 2012.

At all times, the Board's primary goal has been to look after the interest of our players.

On behalf of our members, I want to thank our players for the leadership and resilience they are showing under pressure. They are young men of great character and continue to display their commitment to our club.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-05-01/club-statement.workstation

This thread needs a new title, the word was "conceded" - very important distinction.

So posters can make the most outlandish lies on here, completely unsubstantiated, against our club and you have an issue with 1 word.

******* typical.

So posters can make the most outlandish lies on here, completely unsubstantiated, against our club and you have an issue with 1 word.

******* typical.
I don't think anyone has said much more than what has been in the papers.

If anyone has stated something as fact when it clearly isn't or has not been reported as such in the papers, report them.

But I don't think it is the users of BigFooty that are at fault here. You have a situation ripe for speculation, a news media that is doing just that and a club hierarchy that has done itself no favours all along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

******* typical.

My best guess is that this message is for the benefit of the players. I doubt they would have enjoyed waking up to headlines that their club has admitted they gave them a banned substance, essentially throwing the players under the bus. Also will be an important statement one day if they players happen to sue the club.

Using the word "conceded" is fence sitting, we reserve the right to fully cooperate with WADA if it suits (hence get sanctions reduced) or defend ourselves to the hilt depending on how this pans out.

This whole thing is going to turn out to be 100 times more complex than the WADA code.

Whats that? The media got a story wrong?

And we're in the clear? I feel I've mentioned this before, but hey, keep believing what you want?

:thumbsu:
If the media got the story wrong then surely Essendon will launch a defamatory law suit?

It strikes me a little odd that the report is concluded - then it's reported that Essendon used a banned substance, then it gets passed through legal, now the clubs comes out to state that it didn't state something.

The whole thing gets stranger by the day.

What *Essendon have or haven't admitted is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Did Dave get spin doctor approval for that statement?

It's called correcting the public record.

Like what North did when Caro tried her latest anti-Brayshaw exercise last week. They corrected the public record and Caro begrudgingly apologised.

I wonder where Robbo will go now that Essendon have corrected the public record like they have done tonight.

If the media got the story wrong then surely Essendon will launch a defamatory law suit?

It strikes me a little odd that the report is concluded - then it's reported that Essendon used a banned substance, then it gets passed through legal, now the clubs comes out to state that it didn't state something.

The whole thing gets stranger by the day.

As I stated very early on, the media went way too hard, too early. Now they NEED a guilty verdict, because if not, they are perfectly aware what Essendon will do to them once this is over.

Some here say things like "oh the media would never get that wrong, they have lawyers for this stuff." To which I relate the story of Kerry Packer, and how he named his two swimming pools, the Murdoch and the Fairfax, in honour of who paid for them. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back