Essendon inviting all past players to Rd2 opener

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 2 separate things going on in that article. Past Players referring to retired players, not the WADA banned players.
Damn you making some sense and belittling my faux outrage.

I'm still taking umbrage at the minutes applause though ... unless that was a well positioned troll?

All I know is what I would do if I was at the game. Every time the banned player/s was mentioned, I would boo my head off.
In fact, I wonder would happen if this non club organised attendance, backfired if the players' names could not be heard because of the boos?

"Rise as one and give a minutes applause" ... for being convicted doping cheats? o_O Geez I hope you are trolling with that one.

Holy crap ... if I were a player I wouldn't be anywhere within a kilometre of that kind of a celebration .... They're planning to celebrate cheating, FFS.

I hope the Melbourne players all line up facing the crowd and do the "Sam Mitchell Salute"

Seriously, I can't wait to see the Swiss press write-up (and the corresponding google translation) if this goes ahead. :rolleyes:
The uplifting knee?

No. There really is no real or compelling problem. If it is announced, however, that the suspended players will take the field to do an interpretation in dance and song to the works of Nik Kershaw - commissioned by EFC for the purposes of club promotion, that is when I think the problem is real and threatening
"WE got it bad, you don't know how bad WE got it
You got it easy, you don't know when you've got it good
It's getting harder just keeping life and soul together
We're sick of fighting, even though we know we should ...."

C'mon everyone, let's all sing along ...

No. There really is no real or compelling problem. If it is announced, however, that the suspended players will take the field to do an interpretation in dance and song to the works of Nik Kershaw - commissioned by EFC for the purposes of club promotion, that is when I think the problem is real and threatening

You have a sick sick mind....

All I know is what I would do if I was at the game. Every time the banned player/s was mentioned, I would boo my head off.
In fact, I wonder would happen if this non club organised attendance, backfired if the players' names could not be heard because of the boos?
Will probably be atleast a 60/40 split in crowd our way

lol sure you would hero

If we win round 1 it'll push 60K, but I agree there will be more Dons fans than Melbourne considering it is your home (******* again).
Absolutely ridiculous how we are always the home team. But that aside, this'll be a huge game.

I'm actually liking the added spice to the match. Reignites an old rivalry. (If we win, it is payback for 2012)

I find this amusing. When you cut through all the noise and conjecture one fact remains, 34 men are currently serving a doping ban. Nearly anywhere else in the world they would be kept away from public view, not in Australia, we ask them to take a bow.

its a pity the wada rules probably don't allow it, I would've loved to see a lap of honour, that would've been priceless.

....history would suggest not necessarily a red light.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sort of hope the minute's applause bit is true. It will be so completely weird that part of me finds it intriguing. No matter where you stand on the CAS decision, nobody can deny that Essendon has some supporters with really odd ideas.

Okay then ... So? The problem occurs surely if they are compelled to be there as Essendon employees. Otherwise it's just "it would be nice to see you there" so whoopty dippy Doo.

And who seriously cares? The players involved can't play - which I'm sure must register as a punishment. What is it that people are after before it's enough?
I think this is a really good question. It seems that many people here want an extra pound of flesh. Whatever punishment, humiliation, or destruction to the club, players and fans is meted out they want more. It wasn't that long ago on this board that there was a bit of sympathy for the players, that they were duped etc.(all Hird's fault). Then the CAS decision was handed down, that sympathy evaporated and the bloodlust began and they wanted more and ever greater penalties. It seems to me that part of this zeal is because the club continues to be viable and the fans continue to support. It irks the hell out of opposition supporters and drives the bomber fans and the club which is the only PR strategy we've come close winning.
So carry on with your hate(not you Proper Gander, one of the few rational ones here) and punitive requests, it only makes us stronger.

It seems that many people here want an extra pound of flesh.

I can't speak for others, but I think the reason for that would be the head in the sand attitude from Essendon posters on this forum over the past three years. Even when it became obvious something was wrong, the over-riding "We done nuthin' wrong" attitude drove people nuts. Had the Essendon club accepted some responsibility for what happened, a lot of people would have moved on, but with people still threatening legal action and Essendon's still in total denial, then what else can you expect?

"WE got it bad, you don't know how bad WE got it
You got it easy, you don't know when you've got it good
It's getting harder just keeping life and soul together
We're sick of fighting, even though we know we should ...."

C'mon everyone, let's all sing along ...

Oh God

I think this is a really good question. It seems that many people here want an extra pound of flesh. Whatever punishment, humiliation, or destruction to the club, players and fans is meted out they want more. It wasn't that long ago on this board that there was a bit of sympathy for the players, that they were duped etc.(all Hird's fault). Then the CAS decision was handed down, that sympathy evaporated and the bloodlust began and they wanted more and ever greater penalties. It seems to me that part of this zeal is because the club continues to be viable and the fans continue to support. It irks the hell out of opposition supporters and drives the bomber fans and the club which is the only PR strategy we've come close winning.
So carry on with your hate(not you Proper Gander, one of the few rational ones here) and punitive requests, it only makes us stronger.

I can only speak for myself but I am not interested in any more punishment for the club or players. What grinds my gears is the lack of contrition in both word and action.

I have posted on a number of occasions that I hoped the players were able to prove their innocence as it would limit the stink on our game. That didn't happen unfortunately. What continues is the utter rubbish that keeps being put forward by both player and club. As an example (paraphrasing), comments like 'we don't know what we gave them but we know it isn't illegal or harmful' treat people like idiots.

You can't be surprised that when 'I remember seeing a document with Thymmomodulin across the top' are made by those involved, that people rile against what they are being asked to swallow. Once again, personally enough is enough regards punishments but I will continue to hold the club, players and those that continue to speak inane rubbish about what happened in ridicule (in before no one gives a stuff what you think about us).

No more punishment but some contrition would go a long way to everyone moving forward IMO.

Such victims

I wonder if they will follow suit by laps of honour for any Essendon player done for drink driving, child abuse, etc. :)
And this is why there appears to be little contrition. When the players are compared to child abusers and drink drivers (who put other peoples lives in danger) well I believe their 'crime' has been blown out of proportion. The club, the AFL and most of the footy public has a strong suspicion they were not the lone wolf here and that is why there is little outrage by other clubs and players. Some of them are probably thankful to Essendon for taking the rap (cue outrage)and they all had a chance to clean up their own backyards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back