Essendon launches legal action against Carlton CEO Greg Swann

Remove this Banner Ad

There weren't any.

The dramatic charge sheet (the culmination of a 7 month long PR stunt on the part of the AFL) was watered down to nothing.

Drive for show.
Putt for dough.
integrity departments give the appearance of integrity but do great reverse engineering.

perception and communications are what the afl sells.

If I was Greg Swann I would make a quick call to the other 16 clubs and offer them a chance to kick in to a legal fund; as I will take this to court and ask Essendon to prove they didn't cheat by providing all the documentation in regards to the their doping supplements program.

Or at the very least call Essendon’s bluff; by publically stating that I will reframe my potential apology until after the ASADA investigation is complete.
judgde tosses it out as vexatious or awards costs to Swan

No

As long as it damages their reputation and was untrue. In fact someone can be liable for defamation in relation to somebody they do not even know exists.

Can't see how Swann's words damage Essendon's reputation, given where the reputation currently sits, and all of the opinions and posturing in the media and the community for 7 months now. The amount of stuff Swann would be able to bring up to suggest that these are well held views in the community would be staggering.

I can understand Essendon hanging on to these technicalities to protect their official reputation but do they really want to take the risk that a judge might reiterate that Swann's words are in keeping with where their reputation is actually at in the eyes of the public? To damage their reputation, he would surely have to say something to add extra weight to the existing perception.

Apparently Peter Gordon (Bulldogs Pres)was on Radio this morning, backing Chip's story that Fitzpatrick had stepped in.

Fitzpatrick would have to step in.
The last thing the AFL wants is Essendon and Carlton in court.

Especially after what was just a sly dig at Essendon by the Carlton CEO.

Cheating means to break the rules, doesn't it? If your 'governance' was so 'poor' that you ended up breaking the rules, I can't see how that is anything but cheating. Please follow through on this threat to take this to court Essendon, I need to find out what this mysterious difference is.

Cheating means to break the rules, doesn't it? If your 'governance' was so 'poor' that you ended up breaking the rules, I can't see how that is anything but cheating. Please follow through on this threat to take this to court Essendon, I need to find out what this mysterious difference is.

Depending on the result I may use it for uni.

Depending on the result I may use it for uni.

Just blame poor governance on your feet walking over to the person next to you and your eyes for looking at their paper when you never set out to do that when you stood up.

Try 1993 cheating the salary cap for a flag, he didn't say when you cheated but we all know for a fact you cheated for that flag.
He said "Carlton are playing finals because Essendon cheated"

But ok, I guess he meant 20 years ago.

Why do EFC care? I thought they didn't care what people thought about them.

If they do care, they have it wrong again!

"Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you really are, your reputation is mearly who people think you are."

EFC would do well putting all their energy into improvinmg their character, me thinks.

I thought honest opinion was a valid defence?

http://www.edovic.org.au/downloads/files/fact_sheets/edo_vic_defamation_fact_sheet.pdf

1. Opinion
Statements that are not stated as fact may be published as opinion. The opinion needs to be on a matter of public interest and based on proper material. The comment must be a matter of opinion, criticism, observation or conclusion. The facts on which the comment is based must be stated, in order to satisfy the ‘proper material’ element of this defence. The opinion must also be honestly held. Previously published opinion may have a bearing on whether someone can rely on this defence.
Ultimately, commentary based on facts is allowed, however the positing of defamatory statements is prohibited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the thread where we thank Essendon for not cheating (similar to not tanking I suppose) so that we could play an extra two games of the season? I imagine we may not get to a third.

If so, thanks guys. We're really enjoying it. Hope you're having a good time in your holidays.

He said "Carlton are playing finals because Essendon cheated"

But ok, I guess he meant 20 years ago.
Don't Essendon use semantics as there stock defence, you know factually incorrect, possible lies and so on.

Nowhere did he state when the cheating occurred and therefore he seems to be factually correct on this one.

I would love to see this go to court.

Let Carlton be the one to finally put Dirty Hirdy in the witness box. Then all the others. It would be wonderful stuff, and would finally give the public a view of what really happened.

Pretty funny that Carlton was also the club who first realised EFC were cheating. Hence the visit to the pharmacist.

Put Dirty Hirdy in the witness box!!!
Swann will win. His defence is he told the truth...

CHEAT: to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something

http://www.edovic.org.au/downloads/files/fact_sheets/edo_vic_defamation_fact_sheet.pdf

2. Truth
As noted earlier, you can say, write or display whatever you like, so long as it is true.

Doubt it will reach court, the cost of winning is to great. An apology will probably be negotiated. Little wants to stop this language from becoming common amongst the family, could effect attracting sponsorship if it sets in.

The Essendon board are not exactly endearing themselves to the general football public.

They should cop their whack, take the hits for a few months and get on with it.

These attempts to protect the good name of Essendon from the "cheat" slur are futile as the 2013 Bombers will forever be stained with an *.

The Essendon board are not exactly endearing themselves to the general football public.

They should cop their whack, take the hits for a few months and get on with it.

These attempts to protect the good name of Essendon from the "cheat" slur are futile as the 2013 Bombers will forever be stained with an *.
They already carried the label of cheats since the last of there 16 asterisks was won while cheating so really they should be used to it.

Essendon are rapidly turning themselves into the joke of the competition, so far they are all talk no action and Little is just an embarrassment, first claiming all other clubs were in support of the fight against the AFL, then extending Hirds contract and now this.

There was an article recently that said lots of Essendon people were amazed that Liz Lukin, a PR advisor, said back in the early days that Hird should stand down. And they still have no idea what good advice on reputation looks like. Take your penalty, get on with the business of football, rebuild or maintain good relationships in the industry and keep this out of the media. Ridiculous behaviour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back