Workshop Essendon Logo Concept

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone post a pic of the mosquito bombadier, and i'll do a quick mock-up.

sassasa.png

Do you mean this?

Some great designs in there, unfortunately I don't think the club will change to anything as good as these. A few years ago I did some work for the club when they were thinking about a new logo. The only guidelines they had were that it couldn't have the name "Bombers" nor could there be a bomb or anything like that on the logo (ie plane could not have bombs or guns).

Apparantly they have had complaints over the years from members, sponsors etc (even people representing " interest groups" overseas) who dont like the violent bomber image, so they have decided to downplay it. Personally I think its stupid, as the Bomber motif is fantastic, but looks like the PC brigade have won on this. Ergo, a couple of years later we ended up with our current dull logo (which I had nothing to do with)

Some great designs in there, unfortunately I don't think the club will change to anything as good as these. A few years ago I did some work for the club when they were thinking about a new logo. The only guidelines they had were that it couldn't have the name "Bombers" nor could there be a bomb or anything like that on the logo (ie plane could not have bombs or guns).

Apparantly they have had complaints over the years from members, sponsors etc (even people representing " interest groups" overseas) who dont like the violent bomber image, so they have decided to downplay it. Personally I think its stupid, as the Bomber motif is fantastic, but looks like the PC brigade have won on this. Ergo, a couple of years later we ended up with our current dull logo (which I had nothing to do with)
Pretty silly. It's not like one would think Arsenal's logo is violent, and they are known as the Gunners.

180px-Arsenal_FC.svg.png

It's all about Andrew Demetriou's family-friendly AFL.
Even angry looking faces on logos have disappeared.

They should just make all logos happy smilies with sun-rays and flowers.

Yay.

Puppies, kittens, rainbows and christmas?

I can understand them wanting to keep the image toned down a bit, but world+dog knows them as "the Bombers". Refusing to acknowledge the name is just stupid... even more so when you look at home often they splash the word around on their website!

I can understand them wanting to keep the image toned down a bit, but world+dog knows them as "the Bombers". Refusing to acknowledge the name is just stupid... even more so when you look at home often they splash the word around on their website!

"MELBOURNEfc" 2008-09 anyone? :cool:

Simplest name change: go from Bombers to Jets.

Why they shouldn't change the name: the song. "See the Bombers fly up." That's pretty ingrained in the psyche of the AFL.

Songs either state the name, nickname or colours:

Collingwood - name
North Melbourne - name
Geelong - name
Hawthorn - name+nickname
Western Bulldogs - name+nickname
Carlton - name+colours
Essendon - nickname
St Kilda - nickname
Richmond - nickname+colours
Melbourne - colours

Fitzroy - name+colours
Sydney - nickname+colours. Used to be name+colours
Brisbane Bears -nickname in at least one version...
Brisbane Lions - name, nickname, colours, old name, old nickname
Adelaide - name+nickname
Fremantle - name+nickname

West Coast, Port Adelaide and Gold Coast all have "original" songs not based on existing tunes.

As much as I think the Bombers is a bad name (part of that is personal bias), it needs to stay. The Bombers FLY UP so no dropping of bombs. And Brisbane Bombers? UNORIGINAL. It's the 21st century, surely they could have come up with a far better name than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Bears
Carlton Butchers
Essendon Same Olds
Footscray Tricolours
Fitzroy Gorillas
Geelong Pivotonians
Hawthorn Mayblooms
Melbourne Fuchsias
North Melbourne Shinboners
Richmond Wasps
South Melbourne Bloods
St Kilda Seagulls

... Gorillas is best of the lot. Seagulls and Bears hold water but the rest are crap.

"Oh we're from Wasp land, a fighting fury, we're from Wasp land" - ugh.

Brisbane Bears
Carlton Butchers
Essendon Same Olds
Footscray Tricolours
Fitzroy Gorillas
Geelong Pivotonians
Hawthorn Mayblooms
Melbourne Fuchsias
North Melbourne Shinboners
Richmond Wasps
South Melbourne Bloods
St Kilda Seagulls

... Gorillas is best of the lot. Seagulls and Bears hold water but the rest are crap.

"Oh we're from Wasp land, a fighting fury, we're from Wasp land" - ugh.

:thumbsu:
That would be so much more awesome, an AFL with those nicknames and logos.

I have a preference for old-school. I hate most modern nicknames. I'm sure I can't convert anyone, and don't wanna try, but I just think they're lame.

Power, Suns, Titans, Giants, Jazz, Blaze, Fury, Force, etc, all the IPL-style names and many American team names (not just pro sport), and many Aussie teams in all sports keep looking towards them rather than identifying with their own region, their history/lore.

Many of these old-school names are iconic of Australia, and 'should' (imo) return to fashion.

Weren't you a Port Adelaide supporter before Gold Coast joined up GG? In fact are you actually a Suns supporter at all, or is it just a placeholder seeing as you can no longer choose unlisted? I'm interested to find out as you seem pretty keen on international sports.

So I'm guessing that you're a fan of L.A keeping the Lakers nickname after moving from Minneapolis? I'm with you on the fact the new names are mostly shite too, but there is such a thing as too old-school IMO.

Im a Gold Coast Suns fan in the AFL. My first post on BF was posting news about how GC were next in line for an AFL license going back 6 or so years.

I have a history/attachment with the GC, as I do with SA, the SANFL/Magpies. As i do with many other places here and abroad...hence why i support so many different regions. Like a museum of my life.

So I'm guessing that you're a fan of L.A keeping the Lakers nickname after moving from Minneapolis? I'm with you on the fact the new names are mostly shite too, but there is such a thing as too old-school IMO.

Some of those names are like you say a bit too old-school. But why not anyway? What's so bad about Wasps compared to Tigers? Whats so bad about Tricolors compared to Bulldogs?

There are some kick-ass old-school names tho...Bloods, Same Olds, Gorillas, Shinboners, to name a few. I like many of those old ones.

Also, look at the NRL. Bluebags, Berries, Shoremen, etc. Better than Broncos, Titans, Raiders, Jets, Steelers, Chargers, etc, just copying NFL names.

Lakers is such a cool name, yeah, fine keeping it. Tho didnt make sense to be kept. Like Houston Oilers becoming Tennessee Oilers, needed a name change, they chose Titans. Regionally didnt make sense, like Lakers didnt. Oilers is a cool old-school name, better than Titans tho.

Im a Gold Coast Suns fan in the AFL. My first post on BF was posting news about how GC were next in line for an AFL license going back 6 or so years.

I have a history/attachment with the GC, as I do with SA, the SANFL/Magpies. As i do with many other places here and abroad...hence why i support so many different regions. Like a museum of my life.

I would love to hear your story.

You have LA teams, Indiana, New Jersey, Adelaide, Gold Coast...

Life story is needed here GG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back