Club Mgmt. Essendon NBL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm okay with that. GWS and Collingwood already have their netball team. Expanding beyond AFL is something most clubs will be doing in the near future.

The NBL needs a reboot like the Netball competition underwent. It's worth a shot.

It’s actually had its best year attendance wise since it started. It hasn’t had the same exposure it did in the 90s, but it’s in a pretty good place right now.

It would definitely be good for the nbl. I'm not sure it would be good for us. Id support and follow them though. Haven't really had a team to follow in the NBL since the giants left.

I love my basketball but have never got into the NBL.

I would possibly get behind this though.

It is an interedting trend though in following suit with european football clubs.
Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, CSKA moscow Olympiacos etc are all football teams but also compete in a variety of other sports as well like basketball, handball, volleyball. I think bayern have a chess team!

We are seeing more of it now with AFL clubs with things like esports and netball. The NBL isnt too big of a jump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess its related to finding alternative sources of revenue to replace pokies - The NBL is on a stronger footing than five years ago, and realistically a second team is needed in Melbourne.

My guess its related to finding alternative sources of revenue to replace pokies - The NBL is on a stronger footing than five years ago, and realistically a second team is needed in Melbourne.

And they have been wanting another Melbourne team for the last couple of years anyway.

Breaking news:

Essendon look into buying a poker team, wait no, a BB cricket franchise, wait no, a mobile food van franchise, wait no, a a bitcoin miner...

How bout concentrating on the task at hand?

This was how sheedy went off the trails, doing all manner of s**t instead of coaching the team.
A footy club can and should chew gum and walk at the same time.

Breaking news:

Essendon look into buying a poker team, wait no, a BB cricket franchise, wait no, a mobile food van franchise, wait no, a a bitcoin miner...

This was how sheedy went off the trails, doing all manner of s**t instead of coaching the team.

I'm not sure it's the Football Coaching, Playing and Admin staff that are the one's worrying about these things..

Unless we sent Stringer in to negotiate a purchase arrangement for our eSports team...

Breaking news:

If people want to get out of pokies revenue these are the types of things that people are going to have to expect.

Think of it from the clubs perspective-

- Fans want to win premierships
-Players, coaches and development costs increasing amount of money to stay relevant on the path to premierships and success.
- Now society is screaming at them to cut one of the biggest sources of revenue that many clubs built a massive reliance on.

Clubs need to grow, they apparently cant use gaming revenue to do that because people have a moral issue with it, so they need to find other sources. They cant snap their fingers and drop the gambling because that will cripple their finances.
Handing out raffle tickets and having fundraising may work for country footy clubs needing to raise a couple of thousand. It does not work when you are a professional business trying to grow in the millions of $$.

John Worsfold, the players on our list and out FOOTBALL department, will have nothing to do with if Essendon has a basketball team.

Last edited:
If people want to get out of pokies revenue these are the types of things that people are going to have to expect.

Think of it from the clubs perspective-

- Fans want to win premierships
-Players, coaches and development costs increasing amount of money to stay relevant on the path to premierships and success.
- Now society is screaming at them to cut one of the biggest sources of revenue that many clubs built their business on.

Clubs need to grow, they apparently cant use gaming revenue to do that because people have a moral issue with it, so they need to find other sources. Handing out raffle tickets and having fundraising may work for country footy clubs needing to raise a couple of thousand. It does not work when you are a professional business trying to grow in the millions of $$.

John Worsfold, the players on our list and out FOOTBALL department, will have nothing to do with if Essendon has a basketball team.

nice use of caps, we have a habit of disagreeing don't we!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back