Essendon poach Richmond footy boss Dan Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

The story goes that Balme accepted the role on the condition that Richardson wasn't adversely affected (Balme being a family friend and ex-teammate of Richardson's father). Mark Williams is on record as saying "everyone who didn't have a contract was sacked", so it may simply be that Richardson had a year left to run. Not sure whether "demotion" is the correct term or not, but he certainly reported to Balme. Results suggest it was a happy arrangement.

Might need to wait for Caro's article, but the parting appears amicable enough.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ball-boss-dan-richardson-20171210-h023vm.html

Nice work by The Age. Impressed they managed to spell both the president and the coach's name incorrectly.

Essendon wouldn't have chased him if he wasn't a high-quality recruit. When it comes to signing off-field staff from other clubs, we only go after the best.
Anything coming out of Richmond is likely to be better than what you already have, it saved us having to let him go what with the family connections, as it is we replaced him a year ago.

Good luck to him.

Seems like he did a lot of good for Richmond, and was highly regarded inside and, evidently, outside the club, but with Balme coming in, his position was always going to be somewhat limited, so it's not really a surprise, nor particularly disappointing to see him go.

Essendon wouldn't have chased him if he wasn't a high-quality recruit. When it comes to signing off-field staff from other clubs, we only go after the best.

Boy oh boy!

A simple 5 second search revealed that this is what you said about Dan Richardson in 2013 when he was appointed by Richmond:

You can cross Dom Tyson off the list.

He's gone from desperately wanting to go to Richmond at the end of last year to prefering to stay in Western Shitney for another few years. Funny how he signed just days after Richardson was announced as your new football manager... must be a coincidence... :rolleyes:

Another terrible appointment by the Tuggers.

Richmond get him: "Another terrible appointment by the Tuggers"
Essendon get him: "We only go after the best"

This is what makes Big Footy go round :footy:

Like Richmond premiership player Mick Malthouse did, in a ruthlessly efficient manner at Princes Park; Son Of Bones has only one job: To destroy Essendon from within.
We're 1 from 2 of Richmond people so far.

The tie breaker to end all tie breakers is upon us

We're 1 from 2 of Richmond people so far.

The tie breaker to end all tie breakers is upon us
By my count you are well ahead.

We have given you 1 legendary GOAT 27 year coach.

1 coach who had you playing an attractive, attacking, run-and-gun game style with no *s given for defensive effort. Sound familiar?

Apologies for Ty Zantuck.

Boy oh boy!

A simple 5 second search revealed that this is what you said about Dan Richardson in 2013 when he was appointed by Richmond:

Wow. 1 post from almost 5 years ago made on Bay 13 of all places. You sure showed me! Absolutely nothing has changed since then! Kind of like how you went from calling Deledio a "loyal" champion who wants to play for Richmond pre-trade, to calling him a sook who leaves when things get too tough post-trade.

It's quite unfortunate that you could be suckered in so easily by a parody post. I wouldn't even know what Dan Richardson looks like, let alone know what he'll bring to a football club.

The lesson is not to make even parody posts that make you look like an imbecile in the future.....
Why? It's funny. Most saw it as an obvious reference to Dank/Weapon/Neeld, others drag up Bay 13 posts and present them as genuine football discussion.

Last edited:
Wow. 1 post from almost 5 years ago made on Bay 13 of all places. You sure showed me! Absolutely nothing has changed since then! Kind of like how you went from calling Deledio a "loyal" champion who wants to play for Richmond pre-trade, to calling him a sook who leaves when things get too tough post-trade.

It's quite unfortunate that you could be suckered in so easily by a parody post. I wouldn't even know what Dan Richardson looks like, let alone know what he'll bring to a football club.
The lesson is not to make even parody posts that make you look like an imbecile in the future.....

Boy oh boy!

Absolute gold.Jobe you're looking a bit non genuine like the bombers of 2014 atm! It's not too late to come over to a proper club, I know a few supporters who left essendon for Richmond, come over for a clean start! It will be 5 more years before the last of the tainted players have left essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? It's funny. Most saw it as an obvious reference to Dank/Weapon/Neeld, others drag up Bay 13 posts and present them as genuine football discussion.

Still reelin' em in Jobe.:thumbsu:

Even one's who've been around your excellent work for years.

Absolute gold.Jobe you're looking a bit non genuine like the bombers of 2014 atm! It's not too late to come over to a proper club, I know a few supporters who left essendon for Richmond, come over for a clean start! It will be 5 more years before the last of the tainted players have left essendon.
Dont be too hard on Jobe. His spelling is not all that flash, but in his DEFENSE he is genuine in his love for Essendon. The great man has already predicted that Essendon will win at least 3 finals in 2018, so I wonder who will play them in the GF?

Dont be too hard on Jobe. His spelling is not all that flash, but in his DEFENSE he is genuine in his love for Essendon. The great man has already predicted that Essendon will win at least 3 finals in 2018, so I wonder who will play them in the GF?
You don't even know that the cricket term all-rounder is spelt with a hyphen ("...could name many other all rounders that played for Australia...") and you're having a go at my spelling!?

These personal attacks on me will not stand. Mods, what's going on in here?

You don't even know that the cricket term all-rounder is spelt with a hyphen ("...could name many other all rounders that played for Australia...") and you're having a go at my spelling!?

These personal attacks on me will not stand. Mods, what's going on in here?
It is acceptable to have it without a hyphen Jobe, because it is not followed by a noun.

It was just a jab at the nature of Big Footy, I wasn't having a go at you. If we recruit James Hird as an assistant coach, I'm sure there'd be plenty more gold with that move!

It is acceptable to have it without a hyphen Jobe, because it is not followed by a noun.
lol no. All round/all-round, yes. But find me one legitimate dictionary or cricket glossary that spells the term 'all-rounder' without the hyphen.

Anyway, I'm sure people are getting sick of seeing such childish insults in this thread. Let's get back to discussing how Dan Richardson could possibly be the missing piece in the Essendon premiership puzzle.

All Rounder - a player skilled in both batting and bowling, and who regularly does both in matches.
From www.nma.gov.au. Cricket glossary.
Well done. Had to trawl through dozens of webpages to find one that spelt it the same way you do (incorrectly), I'm guessing. No doubt skipped over the ICC website, Wikipedia and basically every online dictionary. That's ok, Webster... you continue whacking away there mate.

Last edited:
lol no. All round/all-round, yes. But find me one legitimate dictionary or cricket glossary that spells the term 'all-rounder' without the hyphen.

Anyway, I'm sure people are getting sick of seeing such childish insults in this thread. Let's get back to discussing how Dan Richardson could possibly be the missing piece in the Essendon premiership puzzle.

All Rounder - a player skilled in both batting and bowling, and who regularly does both in matches.
From www.nma.gov.au. Cricket glossary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back