Opinion Essendon Round 1 Starting Midfield

Which player do you most expect to push for a bigger midfield impact in 2013?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have had a crack at some others over there starting midfields, time for me to put my money where my mouth is.

My starting 6 would be.

Centre: Brent Stanton - Brendon Goddard - Jake Melksham

Rucks: Tom Bellchambers - Jobe Watson - Ben Howlett

* Heppel starts at half back and rotates through for stints on the ball with BJ.
* Zaka comes in and fills Melkshams spot when he is fit enough to play wing.
* We may see Kommer play on the ball and surprise a few.
* No need to worry about David Myers, he is on the bench as a rotation.
* Paddy to switch with T-Bell (obviously derp)

looks about right in my eyes. Not sure why I picked Melksham on a wing, but I am not sure who else we pick on a wing. Perhaps Heppell?

I hope Colyer plays well this year. Dalgleish is so exciting, hope he can find the confidence to break the lines in the VFL.

He did it well in the VFL last year, worked out he averaged a tick over 14 ppg, so definitely exciting times for the bullet. Colyer would want to pull his finger out this year otherwise it is going to be a slow year and end up back in WA by November.

Is Goddard quick? I would like to see us add some genuine speed to our rotations. Apart from Myers who showed glimpses last year, we really do lack some genuine leg speed. Howlett has a handy turn but none above the norm. I would like to see us add some real dash to our side, here's hoping we can see some games from the next tier of 'dashers' in Colyer, Dalgleish, Merret and the new kids, Gleeson, Ashby and Hams.
Myers really isnt quick at all.
Big and heavy like Watson, not fast.

The fact there is so much debate on this topic means our club is heading towards a good place. Anyway, here is my effort.

C: Zaharakhis - Watson - Myers
R: Bellchambers - Hocking - Howlett

The reason I've gone for Hocking and Howlett is that they are both very much midfielders. If they are not playing centre square, then they effectively dont have a spot in our 22 IMO. Other players (Goddard, Heppel etc) can play other spots. Hocking and Howlett are more one dimensional IMO. Obviously if Hocking is tagging, he goes wherever his player goes, then someone can rotate through the centre.

Goddard, Watson and Zaka. This really shouldnt even be a debate.

Goddard is slow, not quick

Good to see Hird still sees Heppells importance across half back. Someone with half a brain, would see that.

Myers aint quick, no acceleration, no agility. He might beat Pendlebury in a 200 but Pendlebury is what you want in the midfield when it comes to his agility.

You might be Asafa Powell running 9.7 100's but that aint meant your gonna be quick in the midfield. Completely different.

I thought he was slow until I saw him chase someone down from the Bulldogs (the name alludes me).

Check that out, the Dogs player was a renowned speedster to..
Was it Easton Wood? I think it was for some reason

i seriously Goddard isn't changing with Heppell in the back line, i don't want to see Goddard down there for 1 minute ever...he spent enough time down there at his other club, and we don't need him down there. We've seen how damaging the captain is when he rests forward, Goddard can do the same thing no problemo..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ask the majority on here and they will say he is quick.

I would say more agile than out and out fast.
I remember a game against freo at subi where he made their on ballers look like traffic cones just with a couple of sidesteps and the way he freed up his hands. He might have only moved a couple of metres, but he made his own space.

I thought he was slow until I saw him chase someone down from the Bulldogs (the name alludes me).

It was Brennen Stack, now delisted from the Bulldogs and back playing his second season in the WAFL for Perth.

I always thought Myers was Rugby League quick, he's strong enough to bustle through a few and gain enough pace to break the occasional line. No sound barrier rapist though.
He's similar to NLM, IMO

Goddard, Watson and Zaka. This really shouldnt even be a debate.

Goddard is slow, not quick

Good to see Hird still sees Heppells importance across half back. Someone with half a brain, would see that.
Agree 100% with the first line. Plain to see really.
Although the last comment about Heppell, I think that's as much about managing his load as it is about his importance in the backline. No doubt they'll be building him up to play closer to 100% midfield in the coming years, regardless of his play down back.

And what's completely glossed over about that incident is that Myers had quite some distance to build up his speed. He can be quick, but his acceleration is terrible, which rules his speed out as irrelevant in 99.9% of match day situations.

Yeh no doubt heppell wil play midfield when watson goddard and stants get to the last years of there career and we have other good hbfs whether that be ashby, browne or someone else

And what's completely glossed over about that incident is that Myers had quite some distance to build up his speed. He can be quick, but his acceleration is terrible, which rules his speed out as irrelevant in 99.9% of match day situations.

100% correct.

Myers takes 10 to 15 metres to warm up - And then he has decent speed.

Back