Essendon saga could see government inquiry: (Update 3/3: Gov says No inquiry)

Remove this Banner Ad

pablo668

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
Claremont
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-...uiry-into-essendon-saga/8284144?section=sport

I've just read this. Tracy Holmes.....nuff said.

I dunno, I would have thought that the club.players and most people at the Dons would have wanted to just move on.
What was it, a week ago maybe, part of the 'AFL BRAINS TRUST' John Ralph put his name to an article slamming the Eagles(past) drug culture and comparing it to what happened at Essendon, intimating that what happened at Essendon was not as bad as what went on at the Eagles.
A comparison that didn't need to be made and perhaps something people at Essendon didn't want as it is just opening a....recent wound?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-...uiry-into-essendon-saga/8284144?section=sport

I've just read this. Tracy Holmes.....nuff said.

I dunno, I would have thought that the club.players and most people at the Dons would have wanted to just move on.
What was it, a week ago maybe, part of the 'AFL BRAINS TRUST' John Ralph put his name to an article slamming the Eagles(past) drug culture and comparing it to what happened at Essendon, intimating that what happened at Essendon was not as bad as what went on at the Eagles.
A comparison that didn't need to be made and perhaps something people at Essendon didn't want as it is just opening a....recent wound?
Interview with Greg Hunt where he doesn't say he had new information at all. Good old Tracy up to old tricks again.

TRACEY HOLMES:
A Supreme Court writ has been lodged against the AFL, its CEO Gillon McLachlan and its chair Mike Fitzpatrick.

There’s a big push from a group called Justice for the 34. This is the Essendon, ASADA, WADA saga that keeps on going, we’re now into the umpteenth year, it now threatens another season of the AFL. The Greens Leader Richard Di Natale says he’s going to push for an inquiry. Where do you stand on that?

GREG HUNT:
So, firstly any court matters are rightly for the courts and this case has spent a lot of time in different considerations and through the courts and there was a decision of the Federal Court of Australia, and so I don’t want to comment on matters that, A, could be before the courts, as there is a new Supreme Court writ that has been reported, and nor do I want to reflect on decisions made by the court other than the fact that as a minister you must respect, must respect the decisions of the courts.

It’s been reported obviously that I’ve had some material submitted to me. What I have done, and I think this is my duty, is to begin consideration and to seek advice on whether that contains any new or significant material, not previously considered, and my role going forward is to deal with any new or significant material, not to deal with matters that have rightly been the province of the courts and, as you say, are now before the court.

TRACEY HOLMES:
So, if that new material is shown to you, you go through it, you find that it is there, will you agree with the Greens Leader Richard Di Natale for a review?

GREG HUNT:
Look, I will respectfully consider the material, I won’t try to pre-empt it. I think that’s the right and proper thing for me to do.

TRACEY HOLMES:
Well, in the last couple of weeks, we’ve seen the ASADA boss Ben McDevitt part ways with the organisation. Did he resign himself or did you ask him to leave?

GREG HUNT:
No, he was preparing to leave prior to the change of minister and he informed me shortly afterwards that he’d had a three-year contract, his time was up, his intention was always to leave, and so that was entirely of his own choosing.

Now we’re going to go for a global executive search, so we’re going to go globally to look for a new leader for ASADA.

One of the things that I will do once the new CEO has been appointed is to sit down with him or her to then chart out a strategic plan on integrity, doping, and the role of ASADA and to work with the other sporting bodies on that.

But what we will do is lay out a long-term strategic plan for integrity in sport and as part of that ASADA’s role with the new CEO once he or she has been selected through a genuinely global source.

TRACEY HOLMES:
And what about WADA? Now as the Federal Sports Minister, you have a seat on the WADA board.

GREG HUNT:
That’s correct.

TRACEY HOLMES:
I’ve always thought that an odd alliance. Does it not feel in any way conflicting?

Especially when issues such as the Essendon saga pops up and WADA wants to appeal a decision that had already been made in Australia in favour of the athletes, WADA appealed that to an international Court of Arbitration for Sport that we have no sway over.

GREG HUNT:
So, I would put it this way that Australia has an absolute uncompromising focus on integrity in sport and that’s whether it’s in relation to the way the game is conducted or the way in which athletes are tested and that’s given us one of the strongest systems in the world.

That gives us a seat at the table and my approach for WADA, and there are certain historic arrangements that have simply been inherited, but my approach for WADA will be to make sure that they operate to the extent that Australia can influence it without fear or favour and in an absolutely consistent manner and fashion across all countries and all sports.

http://www.greghunt.com.au/Media/Me...C-NewsRadio-interview-with-Tracey-Holmes.aspx

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
Interview with Greg Hunt where he doesn't say he had new information at all. Good old Tracy up to old tricks again.

TRACEY HOLMES:
A Supreme Court writ has been lodged against the AFL, its CEO Gillon McLachlan and its chair Mike Fitzpatrick.

There’s a big push from a group called Justice for the 34. This is the Essendon, ASADA, WADA saga that keeps on going, we’re now into the umpteenth year, it now threatens another season of the AFL. The Greens Leader Richard Di Natale says he’s going to push for an inquiry. Where do you stand on that?

GREG HUNT:
So, firstly any court matters are rightly for the courts and this case has spent a lot of time in different considerations and through the courts and there was a decision of the Federal Court of Australia, and so I don’t want to comment on matters that, A, could be before the courts, as there is a new Supreme Court writ that has been reported, and nor do I want to reflect on decisions made by the court other than the fact that as a minister you must respect, must respect the decisions of the courts.

It’s been reported obviously that I’ve had some material submitted to me. What I have done, and I think this is my duty, is to begin consideration and to seek advice on whether that contains any new or significant material, not previously considered, and my role going forward is to deal with any new or significant material, not to deal with matters that have rightly been the province of the courts and, as you say, are now before the court.

TRACEY HOLMES:
So, if that new material is shown to you, you go through it, you find that it is there, will you agree with the Greens Leader Richard Di Natale for a review?

GREG HUNT:
Look, I will respectfully consider the material, I won’t try to pre-empt it. I think that’s the right and proper thing for me to do.

TRACEY HOLMES:
Well, in the last couple of weeks, we’ve seen the ASADA boss Ben McDevitt part ways with the organisation. Did he resign himself or did you ask him to leave?

GREG HUNT:
No, he was preparing to leave prior to the change of minister and he informed me shortly afterwards that he’d had a three-year contract, his time was up, his intention was always to leave, and so that was entirely of his own choosing.

Now we’re going to go for a global executive search, so we’re going to go globally to look for a new leader for ASADA.

One of the things that I will do once the new CEO has been appointed is to sit down with him or her to then chart out a strategic plan on integrity, doping, and the role of ASADA and to work with the other sporting bodies on that.

But what we will do is lay out a long-term strategic plan for integrity in sport and as part of that ASADA’s role with the new CEO once he or she has been selected through a genuinely global source.

TRACEY HOLMES:
And what about WADA? Now as the Federal Sports Minister, you have a seat on the WADA board.

GREG HUNT:
That’s correct.

TRACEY HOLMES:
I’ve always thought that an odd alliance. Does it not feel in any way conflicting?

Especially when issues such as the Essendon saga pops up and WADA wants to appeal a decision that had already been made in Australia in favour of the athletes, WADA appealed that to an international Court of Arbitration for Sport that we have no sway over.

GREG HUNT:
So, I would put it this way that Australia has an absolute uncompromising focus on integrity in sport and that’s whether it’s in relation to the way the game is conducted or the way in which athletes are tested and that’s given us one of the strongest systems in the world.

That gives us a seat at the table and my approach for WADA, and there are certain historic arrangements that have simply been inherited, but my approach for WADA will be to make sure that they operate to the extent that Australia can influence it without fear or favour and in an absolutely consistent manner and fashion across all countries and all sports.

http://www.greghunt.com.au/Media/Me...C-NewsRadio-interview-with-Tracey-Holmes.aspx
Tracey Holmes trolling again.

What's missing is her angle - why does she keep pushing this; and for whom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
"So far as anti-doping matters can be litigated, either on merit or process, the Essendon matters have been finalised.

Aspects of this case have been forensically examined by bodies including, but not limited to, the independent Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel, the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal, the Victorian Supreme Court, the Federal Court of Australia by both single Judge and then via Full Bench, the Court of Arbitration for Sport and even the Swiss Federal Court."

- McD

ASADA boss warns punishments handed out during Essendon drug scandal can’t be overturned

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
"So far as anti-doping matters can be litigated, either on merit or process, the Essendon matters have been finalised.

Aspects of this case have been forensically examined by bodies including, but not limited to, the independent Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel, the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal, the Victorian Supreme Court, the Federal Court of Australia by both single Judge and then via Full Bench, the Court of Arbitration for Sport and even the Swiss Federal Court."

- McD

ASADA boss warns punishments handed out during Essendon drug scandal can’t be overturned
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/15abd4872abf8df2d2e9ad306a501cfb

avignon

Senior List
Oct 8, 2004
Other Teams
ESSENDON

- McD

Who said anything about it being overturned...there's a lot more at stake....integrity in the system, people's reputations, discovering any cover ups....bring it on.

Muggs

Premiership Player
Jan 16, 2015
Your local dark alley
AFL Club
Adelaide
Personally like the last bit

Mr McDevitt said the Essendon saga had been dominated by “confused onlookers” who mixed up sports law for criminal law.

He said Australia’s response to doping in sport was not governed by the criminal law.

“My job as the anti-doping regulator ... (is) to pursue allegations of possible breaches of Australia’s anti-doping rules,” he said.

“At the risk of over-simplification, sports law is essentially based on a process of arbitration and contracts.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back