Essendon seek clarification from AFL on lopsided Umpiring counts

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what Essendon are trying to acheive? Do you want the free kick differential to be even for every game?

no but averaging 1:2 over 3 weeks is a little alarming.

welcome to our world of the past 18 months (you're still a distant second to us in free kick differential) - and on top of that, just to rub it in, at least you dont have stupid flogs telling you that you're team has been very lucky to get an armchair ride by the umps in that time..

no but averaging 1:2 over 3 weeks is a little alarming.
So you are suggesting that the umpires as a whole are biased against Essendon? Only one umpire has umpired 2 of the last 3 weeks for Essendon games. So therefore 8 different umpires have something against Essendon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

welcome to our world of the past 18 months (you're still a distant second to us in free kick differential) - and on top of that, just to rub it in, at least you dont have stupid flogs telling you that you're team has been very lucky to get an armchair ride by the umps in that time..

don't disagree the tigers are on the wrong end of it.

i think we are just talking about last 3 weeks for us.

been 80-45 which is a big variance over a 3 week period.

I don't think the differential is a problem.

It'll never be even and it's not meant to be.

However the state of umpiring in our games the past three weeks is the worst I've ever seen. It's been appalling.

The problem is the howlers - poor free kicks paid, and obvious frees missed.

In none of the games however has it impacted the result - we were clearly better than North and the Eagles and Collingwood were clearly better than us.

Sunday was a little different as there were absolute, unexplainable shockers both ways - some of the frees against Collingwood were ridiculous.

When you're barracking like mad for your team and your response when you get paid a free kick is still "wtf was that!?", something seems to be wrong.

Probably the best was when De Goey took a clear, obvious, normal mark... and it wasn't paid, for absolutely no logical reason.

I think it happens when the umpires make clear mistakes and realise it, then perhaps attempt to even it up... which causes them to pay further shockers.

don't disagree the tigers are on the wrong end of it.

i think we are just talking about last 3 weeks for us.

been 80-45 which is a big variance over a 3 week period.
Found the reason for your 80 - 45 over the past 3 weeks
You have played West Coast, North Melb. and Collingwood.
3 of the highest free-kicks for teams in the business.

did you read the article or no? This was actually asked.
Nah, just trying not to keep their supporters happy. Also trying to influence umpires. I’d imagine it wouldn’t be difficult to review it themselves and see what their are doing illegally. But then again, they have never been able to recognise internally how they are ******* it!

Much ado about nothing.

Teams that are agressive at the ball will give away more frees. Sometimes defenders are happy to give away frees to hold play up
Nothing wrong with speaking to the umps rep fir clarification. I doubt anything will change, and that's why the Tigers and us haven't bothered.

The free kick count isn't a problem. The sorry state of umpiring across the league is. Last weekend was a joke for both sides. The obvious attempt of trying to even it up in the third quarter was laughable.

I don't think the differential is a problem.

It'll never be even and it's not meant to be.

However the state of umpiring in our games the past three weeks is the worst I've ever seen. It's been appalling.

The problem is the howlers - poor free kicks paid, and obvious frees missed.

In none of the games however has it impacted the result - we were clearly better than North and the Eagles and Collingwood were clearly better than us.

Sunday was a little different as there were absolute, unexplainable shockers both ways - some of the frees against Collingwood were ridiculous.

When you're barracking like mad for your team and your response when you get paid a free kick is still "wtf was that!?", something seems to be wrong.

Probably the best was when De Goey took a clear, obvious, normal mark... and it wasn't paid, for absolutely no logical reason.

I think it happens when the umpires make clear mistakes and realise it, then perhaps attempt to even it up... which causes them to pay further shockers.
The most calm and reasoned Essendon fan response I've seen the past couple of days. And 100% right.

I don't think Essendon specifically need a meeting with the AFL or umpiring manager etc etc - but the AFL do need to look at interpretation and rule consistency as a whole because right now it is a confusing mess for fans.

Found the reason for your 80 - 45 over the past 3 weeks
You have played West Coast, North Melb. and Collingwood.
3 of the highest free-kicks for teams in the business.
You mean three teams that play the game within the rules the best. o_O

And who are rightfully awarded free kicks by those paragons, the umpires, when some cheating filthy scumbag opposition player infringes upon their fair play.

Those teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back