Universal Love Essendon Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Guy is a mega troll, starts threads such as "YO Essendon - why you so s**t??" and "96 reasons why Essendon are the worst top 8 side in AFL history...". I know it's Bay 13 but i wouldn't give him any oxygen even when he's being legit.

not sure if this was meant to be about me but i most definitely have not created any such threads :S

In 50 yrs time the team of the century , the backline may read

Fletcher Fletcher Fletcher

the fwd line

Hird Hird Hird
Hird Hird Hird

In 50 yrs time the team of the century , the backline may read

the fwd line

Hird Hird Hird
Hird Hird Hird

and the midfield

Ryder Watson Watson
Watson Watson Watson

hi guys,
i've come up with this team as your best of this century so far. this is not taking into account anything any player done prior to the year 2000, even if they played in both eras i was only considering their performances post 2000-. thoughts?

FB: D.SOLOMON D.FLETCHER* D.HARDWICK
HB: M.MCVEIGH S.WELLMAN A.MCPHEE
C: M.JOHNSON J.WATSON* (vc) B.STANTON*
HF: M.MERCURI S. LUCAS D.ZAHARAKIS*
FF: B.CARACELLA M.LLOYD A.MONFRIES
RR: D.HILLE* J.HIRD (c) J.JOHNSON
INT: J.MISITI P.RYDER* A.RAMANAUSKAS D.PEVERILL
COACH: KEVIN SHEEDY
I can't have Mercuri in there. His form was all over by the end of 2000 and after that he just sucked up money. That's how i remember it anyway, correct me if i'm wrong someone? Having said that maybe that one year is enough given it was a premiership year...
Monfries? For real? Such an average player, there has to be someone better.

I had a fair few other disputes, but went and looked at some stats and history and realised how biased my memory is...

hi guys,
i've come up with this team as your best of this century so far. this is not taking into account anything any player done prior to the year 2000, even if they played in both eras i was only considering their performances post 2000-. thoughts?

FB: D.SOLOMON D.FLETCHER* D.HARDWICK
HB: M.MCVEIGH S.WELLMAN A.MCPHEE
C: M.JOHNSON J.WATSON* (vc) B.STANTON*
HF: M.MERCURI S. LUCAS D.ZAHARAKIS*
FF: B.CARACELLA M.LLOYD A.MONFRIES
RR: D.HILLE* J.HIRD (c) J.JOHNSON
INT: J.MISITI P.RYDER* A.RAMANAUSKAS D.PEVERILL
My team:

FB: M.Johnson . D.Fletcher . D.Hardwick
HB: S.Wellman . M.Hurley ... D.Solomon
C: . B.Stanton . J.Watson .. A.Lovett
HF: J.Hird ....... S.Lucas .... B.Caracella
FF: A.Monfries . M.LLoyd ... M.Mercuri
RR: P.Ryder ..... J.Misiti ..... J.Johnson
INT: D.Hille ..... D.Zaharakis J.Winderlich . D.Rioli

Emg (not in order): P.Barnard, D.Peverill, D.Heppell, A.McPhee, A.Ramanaskus, Crameri, C.Dempsey

I believe Wellman's best role was off the HBF, which does leave a hole at CHB. Hurley got it, but he is only marginally ahead there of Jacobs, Carlisle, Hooker, even a young Ryder. Nobody has yet got a huge amount of runs on the board in the position. Carlisle should own it within a year or two.

The midfield might be a touch light, in which case Monfries or Lovett would be out, one on the HFF and put Peverill or Heppell in there. But midfield has not been our strong point over the last decade. Of course, Hird, M. Johnson and Mercuri all capable of stints through there! ;)

I can't have Mercuri in there. His form was all over by the end of 2000 and after that he just sucked up money. That's how i remember it anyway, correct me if i'm wrong someone? Having said that maybe that one year is enough given it was a premiership year...
Monfries? For real? Such an average player, there has to be someone better.

I had a fair few other disputes, but went and looked at some stats and history and realised how biased my memory is...

Mercuri was fantastic in 2000 and lots of 2001. Started going down hill from there, but when he was on the park still damaging (if not the 1999 highs). Monfries was several times our leading goal kicker in rubbish teams and also could go into the midfield to assist. Often played games where he sacrificed his game to stop the opposition's best rebounding defender, which hurt his disposals/goal record.

Hardwick Flecth M.Johnson
Soloman Wellman Dempsey
Stanton J.Watson Heppell
Caracella Lucas Zakka
Mercuri Lloyd Rioli

Ryder Hird J.Johnson

Bench from: Misiti Barnard Allesio Goddard

Monfries - lol

Monfries has done more than Goddard, Zaka and Heppell at Essendon.
Disagree - he certainly didnt bring the leadership that Goddard does, hasn't won a B & F like Zakka, or a rising star like Heppell. . anyway - all this stuff is subjective - but if you think Monfries is in the same league as Goddard, Zakka or Heppell I think your a fair way off the mark, as hes no where near the player any of these guys are....

Disagree - he certainly didnt bring the leadership that Goddard does, hasn't won a B & F like Zakka, or a rising star like Heppell. . anyway - all this stuff is subjective - but if you think Monfries is in the same league as Goddard, Zakka or Heppell I think your a fair way off the mark, as hes no where near the player any of these guys are....

You're delusional if you think Brendan Goddard has done more at Essendon than Monfries. Gussy held our forward line together for 5 years prior to being traded. Admittedly the first 2 years he had help from Lloyd and Lucas but he single handedly held our forward line together for the next 3 years. And it's kind of obvious that we'd be a far better side right now if he stayed because Nick Kommer is nowhere near the player Monfries is. He may not be as good as them but * me he was more important to our side than them

Never understood how many EFC fans just did not rate Monfries. He got goals, stopped attacking defenders, provided a link up on the wing. Usually with a rubbish midfield in front of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're delusional if you think Brendan Goddard has done more at Essendon than Monfries. Gussy held our forward line together for 5 years prior to being traded. Admittedly the first 2 years he had help from Lloyd and Lucas but he single handedly held our forward line together for the next 3 years. And it's kind of obvious that we'd be a far better side right now if he stayed because Nick Kommer is nowhere near the player Monfries is. He may not be as good as them but **** me he was more important to our side than them

We didn't trade him did he? free agent? never delivered when it mattered, was the best of a very poor lot on the forward line. Zaka has definitely achieved more, Heppell just about and Goddard hasn't but ask me in 18 months and it'll be different.

We didn't trade him did he? free agent? never delivered when it mattered, was the best of a very poor lot on the forward line. Zaka has definitely achieved more, Heppell just about and Goddard hasn't but ask me in 18 months and it'll be different.

Um, Essendon traded him because it was a better deal for both clubs involved. Zaka has had 1 very good year and half a good year. Monfries was consistently good for 5 years. Heppell hasn't achieved more. Impressive? Yes. More? No. And it's Team of the Century at this point in time. Not in 18 months time, but right now.

Um, Essendon traded him because it was a better deal for both clubs involved. Zaka has had 1 very good year and half a good year. Monfries was consistently good for 5 years. Heppell hasn't achieved more. Impressive? Yes. More? No. And it's Team of the Century at this point in time. Not in 18 months time, but right now.

yeah i agreed with you didn't I?

Apart from Zaka, I believe he has done more than gus did

i tell you what's a damn shame, and that is that Andrew Lovett wouldn't make our team of the century thus far. The bloke should have made our team of the century at the end of this century had he applied himself.

i tell you what's a damn shame, and that is that Andrew Lovett wouldn't make our team of the century thus far. The bloke should have made our team of the century at the end of this century had he applied himself.

I put him in mine above. Key player in many of our wins when the team was rubbish (and when it was going well). Big part of us making finals in 2009. Idiot off the filed, and inconsistent, but I think he should be there. Not that its the strongest 10 years ever.

Hi all, as part of a promotion of our game to the community, i am involved in a 21st century afl publicisation. for every team, we are preparing what we believe is the best 22 since 2000 inclusive. all players must have played minimum 50 games in this time period to be considered. I have chosen players purely on position so thats why someone like monfries gets a spot. would appreciate your thoughts on your team:

FB M.JOHNSON D.FLETCHER D.HARDWICK

HB M.MCVEIGH M.HURLEY* A.MCPHEE

C D.HEPPELL* J.WATSON* (vc) B.STANTON*

HF M.MERCURI S. LUCAS D.ZAHARAKIS*

FF B.CARACELLA M.LLOYD A.MONFRIES

RR P.RYDER J.HIRD (c) J.JOHNSON

INT D.HILLE J.MISITI B.GODDARD* D.PEVERILL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back