Essendon trade moves and the secret 'COLA'-style payments people still don't understand

A lot. His mob won 2016 flag during the negotiations for ESS. Bulldogs a rabble since. Coincidence?
Did you ever get an answer from Chief about why bigfooty was sponsoring the Bombers during the saga and how it impacted the moderation of the site?

Did you ever get an answer from Chief about why bigfooty was sponsoring the Bombers during the saga and how it impacted the moderation of the site?

It was geo-blocked.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
so when essendon also paid Paddy Ryder and other players who left Essendon, who's salary cap would that come under?
That should have been EFC.
i understand why it wasn’t but you have rules and they need to be kept.
When you move the goal posts as a matter of survival it devalues all the rules.
Idealistic I know but the clean up after the saga was dodgy.

Oct 3, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
A lawyer engaged on a settlement couldn’t give two shits about Dyson’s employment contract or Essendon’s salary cap situation or accounting.

Hey, there’s an extra $150k on the bill for Dyson, I’m adding it for the other guys too. Easy.

Their job is to get as much as they can to line the pockets of their clients and more importantly, themselves.

Do you know any lawyers?

I do actually, plenty.

And none are half as stupid as you seem to think they are

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
That should have been EFC.
i understand why it wasn’t but you have rules and they need to be kept.
When you move the goal posts as a matter of survival it devalues all the rules.
Idealistic I know but the clean up after the saga was dodgy.
so part of essendon's salary cap should be used to pay compensation for players who arent playing for essendon?

Seriously? That's pretty stupid logic

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I do actually, plenty.

And none are half as stupid as you seem to think they are

So they don’t get the maximum possible settlement for each of the clients and themselves?

They sound like they’re stupid - and terrible lawyers.

“Oh by the way Spanish Fly, we got you a fair bit less than Joe Blow despite your identical circumstances. Just helping Essendon out with the salary cap. Don’t worry about it.”

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
so part of essendon's salary cap should be used to pay compensation for players who arent playing for essendon?

Seriously? That's pretty stupid logic
EFC should have been responsible for the salaries of the suspended players.
Called accountability but it’s probaly not a word EFC are familiar with.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
EFC should have been responsible for the salaries of the suspended players.
Called accountability but it’s probaly not a word EFC are familiar with.
compensation isnt salary. What if 3 players were given 4mil each in compensation, and none of them played for Essendon? That would exhaust their entire salary cap for players who dont even play for the club

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hurley, Hooker, Heppell, Bellchambers, Myers, Colyer.

Not exactly a huge chunk of the list these days. Hurley and Hooker both had big offers from rival clubs. Assuming any level of decency left at the AFL would mean they'd have to be counting pretty heavily against the Essendon salary cap. Same goes for Heppell as captain. Bellcho as a decent starting ruck wouldn't break the bank and the other 2 wouldn't either.

I see Stringer, Saad and Dev Smith replacing the money Carlisle, Melksham and Hibberd would've taken up.

They've pushed Goddard to open up space for Shiel or other targets.

And in general their list is pretty young and untested and not overly deep. They should have space. North's list isn't much different and they're splashing the cash.

Now the number 1 pick was a farce but I've had that conversation on here too often and I don't plan on having it again.

Jul 8, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
compensation isnt salary. What if 3 players were given 4mil each in compensation, and none of them played for Essendon? That would exhaust their entire salary cap for players who dont even play for the club

Agree with that example, but....

Insurance compensation paid to players who continued at the club surely should have been included in the cap. The insurance compensation was a player payment and, for the players that stayed, it was part of the overall negotiated settlement to encourage players to play at Essendon and not play elsewhere.

When Heppell and others were able to receive substantial compensation outside the cap, effectively front-loading player payments, that can only result in additional cap space for others. e.g. traded-in talent. Last year that was Devon Smith, Adam Saad and Jake Stringer, when Essendon outbid rival suitors to become the chosen destination. This year Shiel? Billings? Who else can Essendon recruit with the additional cap space.

Didn't get Essendon to the Grand Final this year. Next year? Year after? A successful trade period and I can see it happening.

Extent of the benefit is very unclear, but from reports in the Age 15 April 2016 (quoted below), the numbers appear to be quite significant compared to the salary cap.

So I will never understand how can the AFL could sign off on compromising the cap, and potentially the competition, through this insurance compensation. Won't leap to conspiracy theories, but I've never seen a credible explanation from the AFL.

From The Age 15 April 2016

"Fairfax Media understands the Heppell camp met the Bombers earlier in the week but has not yet decided how big a claim it could seek for loss of earnings and reputation and health-and-safety breaches as a result of the 2012 injecting program.

There are reports Heppell could launch a case for more than $1 million, taking into account this would have been the first year of a lucrative five-year contract. But the Bombers insisted on Friday there had been no discussions about legal action with any of the players, let alone possible pay outs, and they were expecting an amicable outcome.

Should Heppell sue, his case could pale in size to what Watson could launch, particularly if he was stripped of the Brownlow Medal. One player agent has estimated Watson could sue for $5 million.

Heppell, 24 next month, is arguably the most important of the players the Bombers need to keep, for he is a match-winning midfielder and a future captain.

Another player agent said the dozen players were all expected to sue. Heppell has said he wants to return but Fairfax Media understands he is unsure as to whether his passion would still be with the Bombers should he decide to launch legal action through his lawyer, Chris Pollard.

It's an invidious position facing several of the players. Heath Hocking, however, has re-signed for an extra year, while Tom Bellchambers and Travis Colyer have indicated their interest in returning.

Coach John Worsfold has said any player who was to sue would be welcome back provided they still were fully committed to the club."

Last edited:

emblurr

Club Legend
May 1, 2008
South Yarra
AFL Club
Essendon
2MLQ.gif

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Imagine supporting a club that has a good chance of winning a grand final and starting a thread about insurance.

Imagine supporting a club that has a good chance of winning a grand final and starting a thread about insurance.
An insurance fraud conviction is the real grand final

Reading how Heppell is worth far more money than the contract he's on from the same people who also argue that he's overrated and worthless makes for a modern day schrödinger's experiment.

Back