Essendon trade moves and the secret 'COLA'-style payments people still don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

It is interesting the other club affected by the Bombers saga was Port who got to pay Monfries and Ryder outside the cap. Who were clubs who bought in the most “names” last year in trade and free agency? Essendon Smith Saad and Stringer. Port Rockliff Motlop Watts
Rucci reported over here at the time that Port got a million dollar free kick with the cap due to the bomber saga

Yep, this is a good point.

What a weird thread. They missed out on a year's salary and had their reputations tarnished which affects their ability to get jobs in the media or coaching roles. They also have stress claims due to the highly publicised nature of the drama and people in the media trying to put the fear of long-term health problems into their minds. This was all a direct result of decisions made by the club. Everyone got a pay-out and was not influenced by whether or not they stayed at the club.

I am waiting to hear Alex Jones' take on all this.

Big story breaking in the Daily Telegraph about Hird-era Essendon being only 15 minutes away from Greg Inglis signing a contract to play for the Bombers.

if true, the Dees would have benefitted as well.

I admit to some suspicion that a few of the jabbed up compensated brigade on the Dons list are augmenting the salary cap. Would love to see audited reports.

Similarly I would enjoy seeing out of salary cap payments to Pie players for their contribution to entertainment and knowledge on Eddie's TFS.

That’s a good point. Did the Demons bring in a high profile recruit on surprisingly big money last year for how proven the player was - Calling Jake Lever!

One of the biggest rorts in footy. It's almost fishy that this was barely covered in the media.
the fact this happened, by itself, isn't an issue

the fact this happened, and wasn't disclosed, suggests this is a massive issue

Probably because journos are frightened of losing their AFL accredition.

The AFL never learn. Who ever was in charge at the time has to go.
To call the AFL furtive would be an understatement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back