Essendon Trading 2017 - Player Nominations and Impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard Dodo say this but can you explain what it means?
Rocky is 27 and you'd expect would be playing well for at least 3-4 years.
In that amount of time surely EFC would expect to be in their premiership window?
Well it's obvious we're targeting players under 25. We want entering their prime in 2-3 years, instead of exiting.

I've heard Dodo say this but can you explain what it means?
Rocky is 27 and you'd expect would be playing well for at least 3-4 years.
In that amount of time surely EFC would expect to be in their premiership window?

It's possible that Rockliff told us he wasn't interested in us and that's the line we are using.

Rockliff doesn't fit our age profile
Interesting. Would immediately improve the team and can go forward as required. I get the age thing but would add what you need. Making finals this year and adding Smith and Saad improves the list so Rockliff could see that greatly improve again. I haven't included Stringer as I feel you wouldn't have gone for him had you got Rockliff.

The point is if your going to hang s**t on the dogs don’t sook when it comes back your way. I would have thought you would have some humility after what your club went through.

Yes - calling the Bulldogs - Footscray is factually incorrect as well as a cestpit.

My comment about facts was what he was saying about Footscray. Once again you don't seem to get it. Commenting on Essendon is just a deflection unless he was directly comparing the two. I understand it's just what people who spend so much time on here do. Doesn't make it stop being tiresome though.

In life, many people are going to criticise you or someone else. That doesn't imply that they are perfect. I suggest you just listen to that criticism and respond to that. Commenting on their flaws is just a way to avoid the initial conversation.

Personally I found it weird we didn't go after Rockcliff in terms of needs and what he would cost. There may be other reasons why we didn't want him (not sure) but if age was the primary driver then I would suggest that Dodoro's plan is probably to trade in younger guys this year - eg 23-24.

Then once we look like we are in contention we can pick up an older free agency player or two to complete our list. If you go the older free agency player first - they may have passed their prime by the time we challenge and it may stifle the amount of younger players we can get in the trade period.

I don't think that's a bad way to go about things. I've been looking at 2019/2020 as when our list will start to peak so bringing in some older players at the end of 2018/2019 will make sense depending on how we perform in 2018 of course.

But why? Hurley & Hooker are 27-28, Bellchambers would be too.

You have some decent younger players but surely 'the window' is now, not in 4-5 years for essendon.
i doubt the window is 2018, barring some form of miraculous discovery of Sydney-like pressure from our midfield.

My 2018 expectations is make finals again, this time with a tougher draw, and either win one or at least put in a decent show. The last 4 finals have been nothing short of pathetic.

I think we're backing Smith in to do what he did as a junior and play as an aggressive attacking mid.
i would have liked Rockliff, but i can see where our list mgmt team is coming from.

We may not think the likes of Bags, Goddard, maybe even Hooker and TBC are part of the next flag.
But if we get the 22-25yo's sorted, when we are ready we should be able to sustain it too.
No point loading up for a couple of years of tilts at flags. These days i reckon you need a list to stay at the well for a good 4-5 years just to get one.

You have some decent younger players but surely 'the window' is now, not in 4-5 years for essendon.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. When you look at Essendon's KPP's they're very, very good. Adding guys who are 25/26 shouldn't be too big an issue. Rockliff should have been ok. And I am really surprised there's no conversation for Miles to Essendon.

If they're planning to make a tilt in 2021/22 you've lost guys like Hooker and Hurley and they're not easy to replace.

Load up in the middle now and have a tilt in 2019.

Look at our core players other than Zaharakis, Hurley and Hooker. Heppell, Merrett, Daniher, Parish, Fantasia, McGrath, Gleeson. All under 25 and will hit their peaks around 2019/2020. In time for the other three to still be around and contributing well and our core mostly being 25-28.

Already have a number of slower, inside midfielders in our side. Parish, Merrett, Bird/Howlett could play games. We don't need another almost type.
Parish and Merrett aren't slow.

Also, Miles is a 23 possession (12/11 CP/UP), 5 clearance a game mid. Those two are 18/19 possession 3 clearance a game mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parish and Merrett aren't slow.

Also, Miles is a 23 possession (12/11 CP/UP), 5 clearance a game mid. Those two are 18/19 possession 3 clearance a game mids.
wouldn't mind Miles as an option/depth, but not sure how he plays ahead of any of Heppell, Zaka, Merrett, Parish, Smith, McGrath, Langford, Laverde or Myers.

wouldn't mind Miles as an option/depth, but not sure how he plays ahead of any of Heppell, Zaka, Merrett, Parish, Smith, McGrath, Langford, Laverde or Myers.
I'm not commenting on that (though I would probably have him in the side). I'm just pointing out that he's better than Bird and Howlett.

more to the point, who does Miles play ahead of ?
Anyone that isn't Heppell, Zaharakis, Parish, McGrath and Merrett in the middle.

OP has a point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back