Essendon V Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

benno87

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2003
London
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Okay, here we go, one of the best games of the year when both teams are in form, which they are. I am from Perth and came over for ANZAC Day weekend and watched this game in Round 5 with my best mate who is a Bombers supporter. [Hosko] And Jesus Christ if I never thought it before, James Hird is a freak. He kicked 5 straight goals from unbelievable snapbs and precision shots. And Lloyd kicked 6 without being noticed. And I hope Cupido can pull up, with 5 goals he looked dynamite on ANZAC day.

But Collingwood have improved since round 5 and obviously have one of the best midfielders going around in Burns, Bucks, Licuria, Woey and O'bree. Can Tarrant Do something big? He needs to, did nothing in ROund 5.

So what will the match ups be? Who will start where? and who will win 'The Blockbuster'?

It's a real 50/50 game I think. Both teams in rasonable form but both have some improvment in them. Fraser, Tarrant and Rocca are the keys for Collingwood and Fletcher will be important on Tarrant or Rocca (I would tink Tarrant). Hille, Hird and the Johnsons would be the keys for Essendon IMO. The Bombers need to beat Collingwood at the packs and Collingwood need to take inside 50m marks. Also watch for a big game from Clement down back if Collingwood are to win.

Collingwoods forward line has been a big challenge for opposition teams 2003 with there 3 tall contested marking forward line in Rocca, Tarrant and Fraser and you can also add Molloy in that catorgory. but with Fletcher and Wellman back in the side it will be the matchups of the night.

Lucas is favourite to play on Rocca
Fletcher will get Tarrant
and when Rogan Josh goes down in the forward line, I would say Sean Wellman.
Also Ben Kinnear will be a big contribution if he gets started in the Forward line as another tall forward.

As a Pie supporter I think it will be close, hopefully on Saturday morning I can give it to those "arogant" Essendon supporters

The biggest game between to victorian sides since Essendon defeated carlton in 2000 in front of 92,000. Both teams were in sensational form that year and combined with their massive support made it very special.

Tonights game is very much the same. Big crowd, both teams in form. The difference between the two games is what's on the line. In 2000 Essendon had already sewn up top spot and carlton was safe in second.

Tonight though there is so much to play for, for both teams. Should be a classic with hopefully an essendon win. Then we have a nervous wait until sunday arvo to see what the final makeup of the finals will be.

Bump.

People on these boards should have a good hard look at the themselves and the threads they "contribute" to. This is about the only geniune football thread I can find.

Pies by 16 points due to a superior midfield. Clement to shut down Hird, and Lloyd to trouble teh Pies all night.

Originally posted by hotpie
Bump.

People on these boards should have a good hard look at the themselves and the threads they "contribute" to. This is about the only geniune football thread I can find.

Pies by 16 points due to a superior midfield. Clement to shut down Hird, and Lloyd to trouble teh Pies all night.

I predict Hille is in for a mighty flogging:D

Lloyd will be a worry, but if we can negate the rest of the foward line, I doubt he will kick a winning score off his own boot.

There will be some very exciting match ups that I will be following closely...

Close all night. Pies by 3 goals (scored in the last 9 minutes).

Essendons midfield could be their problem,

Misiti on his last things?

Shut down the Johnsons and we could be home?

Do they have any others in the midfield worth worrying about?

Hird will be lurking around the half back flank... One to keep an eye on. Having said that, I think he has already used up his average season quota of decent games.

Originally posted by Zeke
Hird will be lurking around the half back flank... One to keep an eye on. Having said that, I think he has already used up his average season quota of decent games.

he must be made accountable if hes going to try this trick:rolleyes:

Ben Haynes and Marc Bullen are 2 who have got under a few teams guards this year. They are quick and use the ball very well.

Rioli will be a key if he spends time on-ball.

Essendon will have to spread collingwood's defence as they team together better than most sides. One on one Lloyd will spank wakelin so we need to get him some space.

This game is so hard to pick. Either team could win. It will probably be a nail-biter but if either team is off-song even slightly it just as easily turn into a massacre. Both teams have the ability to take huge advantage of any weakness displayed by their opponent.

This game could really be "special"!

(Poor Bruce! I wonder if he will be there?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game will be won/lost in the midfield. Essendon has the defensive depth to cover Collingwood's forwards, even with Fraser there. Collingwood have to stop Essendon's forwards, and the only way they could manage that is if the choke the supply. Essendon will conceed Buckley possessions and Collingwood really have to choke Essendon's proven ability to set up goals from defence.

Should be a cracker.

I've conveniently blocked ANZAC day from my memory ... was Presti in, and playing on Lloyd???

Wakelin has been playing fairly good football of late actually (yeah, I'm surprised too), I think he could do well on Lloyd tonight.

Originally posted by Nic
I've conveniently blocked ANZAC day from my memory ... was Presti in, and playing on Lloyd???

Wakelin has been playing fairly good football of late actually (yeah, I'm surprised too), I think he could do well on Lloyd tonight.

one on one yes

on a lead - NO

Both teams clearly gonna be giving it all they have. If Collingwood win...they are secured in second place, but could be sent as low as seventh if a loos happens. Alot is riding on this for the Collinwood, as does Essendon. 2 and a half hours if intense, physical, fast paced action, and I honestly can't pick a winner.

Originally posted by M29
coll by 18 points.

i guess pies have the right to start favourities but by no means am i taking this lightly or going in with any over confidence, but neither should you in any footy game imo.

are you in pessimist/realist phase or whats the story?

Sometimes u wish that u didnt go for either team (in my case bombers), because u never really enjoy the game because your so nervous and freaked out u might lose. Sometimes i really wish i was a neutral fan.

Originally posted by Smokin_Joe
Sometimes u wish that u didnt go for either team (in my case bombers), because u never really enjoy the game because your so nervous and freaked out u might lose. Sometimes i really wish i was a neutral fan.

know what you mean but really wouldnt have it any other way.

went through most of the 90's watching the big games as neutral fans which is nice, but at the end of the day there is nothing better than your team being a part of it. ;)

It's been said before a million times...the WEATHER will control this game.

FINE NIGHT: Essendon get quick fast possesions to leading forwards and rack up a big score and win the game.

WET NIGHT: Collingwood win the midfield battle because of more in-and-under type onballers and shut out essendons run from defence and turn the game into a low scoring scrap and collingwood win.

If the opposite happens and Essendon win the wet or Collingwood win in the dry, i will be very suprised.

Originally posted by Smokin_Joe
It's been said before a million times...the WEATHER will control this game.

FINE NIGHT: Essendon get quick fast possesions to leading forwards and rack up a big score and win the game.

WET NIGHT: Collingwood win the midfield battle because of more in-and-under type onballers and shut out essendons run from defence and turn the game into a low scoring scrap and collingwood win.

If the opposite happens and Essendon win the wet or Collingwood win in the dry, i will be very suprised.

simplistic view

imo it is a myth collingwood play better in the wet

we have had some great wins in dry conditions

its all about the state of mind, when we come to play like we did

against Sydney we can beat anyone, wet or dry.

the wet weather excuse from Sydney was a cop out.

fwiw collingwood are right up there as the highest scoring teams in the comp. second in fact behind WCE i believe.

Really is a huge game. I'll go so far to say it is bigger than Essendon versus Carlton in 2000, which had an enormous build up given the 2 clubs winning streaks at that stage. I still maintain that had the re-construction work at the MCG been not taking place, this would have easily gone over the 90000 spectator mark.

As I look outside my window here, it's cloudy and fairly windy. This is only going to get windier from here.

Still have this feeling of the match being a heart-stopper, which is all we need.

If you are going, see you all there. To those who aren't and will see it on Channel 9 tonight, sit back and enjoy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back