Preview Essendon v Hawthorn - Friday 27/7 [IN: Hockey, Winderlich, Browne OUT: Myers, Dell'Olio, Dyson]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, call me crazy but I have a good feeling about this game with the last time I had this feeling being our round four game v Carlton.

Preview courtesy of eth-dog

Essendon vs Hawthorn (27/07/2012):

Observations:

Essendon: Has had a form slump in recent weeks, losing 4 of the last 7, and injuries or suspension to key players like Zaharakis, Hurley, Ryder and Hibberd, combined with the form slump of other key players like Stanton, Hooker and Crameri means that we’re seeing Essendon in the worst form so far this season. Hurley and Hibberd are possible inclusions this week, the latter less likely.

Hawthorn: I can’t possibly do them justice when talking about their form recently. They’ve been outstanding; I’ll just throw some powerful adjectives at you, like: awesome, amazing, incredible, fantastic, flawless, and I can’t say any more due to my hatred of them

Head-to-Head (last 5) : Essendon 3- Hawthorn 2

Form:

Essendon: W-W-L-W-L
Hawthorn: W-W-W-W-W

Odds (forecasted by me because the forecasting website sucks) Hawthorn $1.30 Essendon $2.50

Possible Teams:

Essendon:
B: Fletcher-Pears-Hardingham
HB: Dempsey-Carlisle-Hibberd
C: Stanton-Watson-Heppell
HF: Crameri-Gumbleton-Monfries
F: Davey-Hille-Jetta
R: Bellchambers-Hocking-Myers
I: Howlett-Browne-Dyson
S: Winderlich

Hawthorn:
B: Stratton-Gibson-Guerra
HB: Birchall-Schoenmakers-Suckling
C: Burgoyne-Mitchell-Hodge
HF: Bruest-Hale-Lewis
F: Rioli-Roughead-Gunston
R: Bailey-Sewell-Shiels
I: Puopolo-Savage-Smith
S: Young

Key Match-Ups:

Jobe Watson vs Sam Mitchell: These two are arguably the best inside midfielders in the competition. Mitchell was instrumental against Collingwood, Watson a shining light against Geelong, even if he was down in disposal efficiency. This is a fantastic match-up if it eventuates. Both will hold keys to winning the game for their respective sides

Jake Carlisle vs Jarryd Roughead: Simple case of best key defender on best key forward. Carlisle gave Clark a bath earlier in the year and has been by far the best defender in recent weeks for Essendon. I like this match-up for Hawthorn, Roughead is simply a fantastic forward, although he does have aa poor record against Essendon.

Thomas Bellchambers/David Hille vs Maxwell Bailey/David Hale: The ruck combination could be very important battle, Bellchambers has had 69 hitouts over the past 2 weeks in the AFL, 28% going to advantage and Hawthorn’s biggest weakness according to many experts is their ruckmen. Hopefully for my sake Bellchambers wins this part of the game

Keys for each team:

Essendon:
·Kick accurately- Essendon have wasted good chances in the forward line in every game. Will want to improve heavily in that regard
·Spread from the contest better, the hawks are fantastic at it. Spread better and you’re ½ way there.
·Win the rucks. Bellchambers is in fantastic form, so win it.

Hawthorn:
·Just do the same that you’ve been doing.
·Win the rucks, that’s really the only weakness you’ve had

Summary:

Essendon are in a form slump. What better way than to fix it than against the great enemies of the 1980’s? Essendon need to win to confirm that they’re a very good side. Stanton, Watson, Bellchambers and Hocking are vital to getting the right combination through the middle. They’re pissed, I guarantee it, and they’ll want to fight tooth and nail against the scum

Hawthorn are nigh on flawless right now, and their confidence will be sky high. They should be wary though, this could lead to arrogance and from previous encounters in the season, and this is one team you don’t want to be arrogant against. They should be ready for a dog fight

Tip: Essendon and Hawthorn are great rivals. I reckon it’ll be a tight, tough, hard contest, one Hawthorn haven’t had in a while, so I’m going to say Essendon by 6

Very similar, I had

IN: Hurley Hocking Winderlich
OUT: NLM Dell'Olio Hille

I'm a Melksham fan but it's becoming harder and harder to support him playing every single week when someone like Browne doesn't get 1 chance. Wouldn't be opposed to that change.

My only condition is that Hille doesn't play. Mate, great career, it's over unfortunately, you're main strength of being mobile and more athletic than other ruckmen is actually now a weakness. Really appreciate you're work, but it's time to move on.

Mixed feelings about this one. At Ethiad we should have an advantage however our form there lately hasn't been impressive. Its the first game I'm going to in a while and all the ones i've been to this year bar ANZAC day we've won so maybe im the x factor? ;)
In: Hurley (if fit? i doubt it), Hocking, Winderlich, Lonergan
Out: Melksham, Dell, NLM, someone else...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon vs Hawthorn (27/07/2012):

Observations:

Essendon: Has had a form slump in recent weeks, losing 4 of the last 7, and injuries or suspension to key players like Zaharakis, Hurley, Ryder and Hibberd, combined with the form slump of other key players like Stanton, Hooker and Crameri means that we’re seeing Essendon in the worst form so far this season. Hurley and Hibberd are possible inclusions this week, the latter less likely.

Hawthorn: I can’t possibly do them justice when talking about their form recently. They’ve been outstanding; I’ll just throw some powerful adjectives at you, like: awesome, amazing, incredible, fantastic, flawless, and I can’t say any more due to my hatred of them

Head-to-Head (last 5) : Essendon 3- Hawthorn 2

Form:

Essendon: W-W-L-W-L
Hawthorn: W-W-W-W-W

Odds (forecasted by me because the forecasting website sucks) Hawthorn $1.30 Essendon $2.50

Possible Teams:

Essendon:
B: Fletcher-Pears-Hardingham
HB: Dempsey-Carlisle-Hibberd
C: Stanton-Watson-Heppell
HF: Crameri-Gumbleton-Monfries
F: Davey-Hille-Jetta
R: Bellchambers-Hocking-Myers
I: Howlett-Browne-Dyson
S: Winderlich

Hawthorn:
B: Stratton-Gibson-Guerra
HB: Birchall-Schoenmakers-Suckling
C: Burgoyne-Mitchell-Hodge
HF: Bruest-Hale-Lewis
F: Rioli-Roughead-Gunston
R: Bailey-Sewell-Shiels
I: Puopolo-Savage-Smith
S: Young

Key Match-Ups:

Jobe Watson vs Sam Mitchell: These two are arguably the best inside midfielders in the competition. Mitchell was instrumental against Collingwood, Watson a shining light against Geelong, even if he was down in disposal efficiency. This is a fantastic match-up if it eventuates. Both will hold keys to winning the game for their respective sides

Jake Carlisle vs Jarryd Roughead: Simple case of best key defender on best key forward. Carlisle gave Clark a bath earlier in the year and has been by far the best defender in recent weeks for Essendon. I like this match-up for Hawthorn, Roughead is simply a fantastic forward, although he does have aa poor record against Essendon.

Thomas Bellchambers/David Hille vs Maxwell Bailey/David Hale: The ruck combination could be very important battle, Bellchambers has had 69 hitouts over the past 2 weeks in the AFL, 28% going to advantage and Hawthorn’s biggest weakness according to many experts is their ruckmen. Hopefully for my sake Bellchambers wins this part of the game

Keys for each team:

Essendon:
·Kick accurately- Essendon have wasted good chances in the forward line in every game. Will want to improve heavily in that regard
·Spread from the contest better, the hawks are fantastic at it. Spread better and you’re ½ way there.
·Win the rucks. Bellchambers is in fantastic form, so win it.

Hawthorn:
·Just do the same that you’ve been doing.
·Win the rucks, that’s really the only weakness you’ve had

Summary:

Essendon are in a form slump. What better way than to fix it than against the great enemies of the 1980’s? Essendon need to win to confirm that they’re a very good side. Stanton, Watson, Bellchambers and Hocking are vital to getting the right combination through the middle. They’re pissed, I guarantee it, and they’ll want to fight tooth and nail against the scum

Hawthorn are nigh on flawless right now, and their confidence will be sky high. They should be wary though, this could lead to arrogance and from previous encounters in the season, and this is one team you don’t want to be arrogant against. They should be ready for a dog fight

Tip: Essendon and Hawthorn are great rivals. I reckon it’ll be a tight, tough, hard contest, one Hawthorn haven’t had in a while, so I’m going to say Essendon by 6

(feel free to quote this in first post)

Anyone just see Dermie's ad I guess you would call it on foxfooty about the rivalry? Man, I hate Hawthorn, I really hate these guys. Nothing would be sweeter than a win this week.

Massive factor for me is we really need Stanton to find some form.

My biggest concern is we drop too many players and bring other players in. We are unsettling the team every week (not normally by choice) when we lose 2-3 players and bring in 2-3 new players. If Hurley did come up could we afford to carry him, Monfries, Crameri (i think still injured) and Winders all who have had limited game time. Add Gumby into that mix coz he will be sore from the Geelong game too.

In my Game Day threads, I've never tipped against Essendon.

I think, this week... We will get done. By a lot. Again. I can't see a few key ins making that much difference.

Call me negative, but I'm trying to see it without blind bias, and I'm thinking Hawthorn by 40+.

Very happy to be proven wrong.

dont care if we win or lose, as long as nat rat knocks hodge out

What is this?

Do you ever post anything of any worth? Seriously wanting a player who has been battling to overcome injury to get injured again? why don't you do us all a favor and just leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back