Opinion Essendon v North? Rivalry or one sided rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's comical that Essendon supporters wear this as a badge of honor.

To me, this is a guy who is uneducated about the history of his football club. His lack of respect to opposition, as well as his team mates, is why he is on a one way ticket to Greensborough Division 2.

There's obviously a rivalry and the "we don't care about North" is part of the banter, but I think realistically it's not Essendon's strongest rivalry.
It's not like Bulldogs, St Kilda, Geelong and Melbourne for example where there is no rivalry at all. It's also not like Carlton and Hawthorn either. It's somewhere in between like Collingwood and Richmond. Essendon fans probably feel more strongly about Collingwood and Richmond because North don't have as many fans.

There's obviously a rivalry and the "we don't care about North" is part of the banter, but I think realistically it's not Essendon's strongest rivalry.
It's not like Bulldogs, St Kilda, Geelong and Melbourne for example where there is no rivalry at all. It's also not like Carlton and Hawthorn either. It's somewhere in between like Collingwood and Richmond. Essendon fans probably feel more strongly about Collingwood and Richmond because North don't have as many fans.
Yep agreed.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well said

Really need to get an exhibition game going between those two former powerhouses.

Loser gets sent to Tasmania.

Play the game in September, but Bombers get carte blanc on all the peptides they can handle in the months prior.

Electric.
If only they did this for the round 1 season opener around the time when your mob and Richmond were both s**t

Really need to get an exhibition game going between those two former powerhouses.

Loser gets sent to Tasmania.

Play the game in September, but Bombers get carte blanc on all the peptides they can handle in the months prior.

Electric.
As opposed to Carlton sitting in the dizzy heights of 7th signalling a return to being a powerhouse

Most of the younger generation from both sides' fans (especially Essendon's) don't really care about the rivarly, me included. It hasn't helped that we beat them regularly from 2011-2016 then Essendon have beaten us every time since. Most games are pretty ordinary because both clubs have sucked over the past decade besides the elimination final in 2014 and the second encounter between the two clubs in 2019.

To the Essendon and north fans out there. Is this a rivalry or just a one sided one?

The way I see it north like to pump it up where Essendon couldn’t care about north as a so called rival, they have bigger rivals to worry about.
Two teams that have been around for over 150 years, have a lot of history.. something a club established in 1996 could never understand. You guys don’t really have the first generation of rivalry yet..

Last live game of these two I went to had Carey and Lloyd playing and nearly a few hundred points on the scoreboard. Seemed to be a pretty big rivalry at that time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last live game of these two I went to had Carey and Lloyd playing and nearly a few hundred points on the scoreboard. Seemed to be a pretty big rivalry at that time.

That was the true days of the rivalry. Pagan outright refused to play shutdown against 99-01 Essendon, which meant a head-to-head shootout every time.

1999 R2 - Ess 141 NM 106
1999 R17 - Ess 158 NM 132
2000 R13 - Ess 199 NM 70
2000 QF - Ess 198 NM 73
2001 R1 - Ess 146 NM 61
2001 R16 - Ess 171 NM 159

We went 6-0 with an average score of 168.

You couldn't outshoot that Essendon team but Pagan obviously didn't work it out or didn't care. Which made the games awesome to watch.

You were looking at a 20+ goal each GF in 1999 if we didn't choke against Carlton... and that was without Hird and Lucas, 2 of our 3 best forwards. Ah well.

That was the true days of the rivalry. Pagan outright refused to play shutdown against 99-01 Essendon, which meant a head-to-head shootout every time.

1999 R2 - Ess 141 NM 106
1999 R17 - Ess 158 NM 132
2000 R13 - Ess 199 NM 70
2000 QF - Ess 198 NM 73
2001 R1 - Ess 146 NM 61
2001 R16 - Ess 171 NM 159

We went 6-0 with an average score of 168.

You couldn't outshoot that Essendon team but Pagan obviously didn't work it out or didn't care. Which made the games awesome to watch.

You were looking at a 20+ goal each GF in 1999 if we didn't choke against Carlton... and that was without Hird and Lucas, 2 of our 3 best forwards. Ah well.
yep, 1999 R17 - Ess 158 NM 132

that was the one when I was traveling around Australia. Lloyd with 7, Carey got 10. Footy gold.

It's comical that Essendon supporters wear this as a badge of honor.

To me, this is a guy who is uneducated about the history of his football club. His lack of respect to opposition, as well as his team mates, is why he is on a one way ticket to Greensborough Division 2.
He can say hi to firrito

yep, 1999 R17 - Ess 158 NM 132

that was the one when I was traveling around Australia. Lloyd with 7, Carey got 10. Footy gold.

Genuine contender for the best game of all time.

It is a shame that game now gets overshadowed by the much more famous 2001 R16 "comeback game", because the 1999 R17 contest was played to a much better standard overall.

You need dramatic finals matches or consistent dramatic home and away matches for a real rivalry. We have that with Carlton, Hawks, Pies. We don't have it with Kangas. There was something brief in the 90s but it didnt go anywhere. We have bigger rivalries with Swans, Dogs and Tiges. North kind of have the feel of a 3rd team in Sydney or Qld about them (or 1st team in Tassie...).

You need dramatic finals matches or consistent dramatic home and away matches for a real rivalry. We have that with Carlton, Hawks, Pies. We don't have it with Kangas. There was something brief in the 90s but it didnt go anywhere. We have bigger rivalries with Swans, Dogs and Tiges. North kind of have the feel of a 3rd team in Sydney or Qld about them (or 1st team in Tassie...).
You’re overestimating how Essendon are perceived by the rest of the league. I know the point of your post was to point to North as irrelevant, but the reality is that Essendon are no more relevant in what has been a 20 year basketcase.

You’re overestimating how Essendon are perceived by the rest of the league. I know the point of your post was to point to North as irrelevant, but the reality is that Essendon are no more relevant in what has been a 20 year basketcase.
Crowd numbers suggest differently, but whatever.

There’s definitely a rivalry. I don’t think it’s a particularly strong one anymore and it probably peaked in that 1993-2003 era but there is one. In terms of ‘great’ rivalries? Probably not.

This isn’t meant to sound condescending but the rivalry does mean more to North than Essendon. I still don’t really get the Essendon denials about it though.

North had a great run of results against us under Laidley from 2002-07. We currently have a bit of a run against them since 2017. But it can all change quickly.

Bruh, it's been a rivalry since we spoilt your birthday.

😜

Remove this Banner Ad

Back