News VFL / NEAFL merger

Remove this Banner Ad

It is but I have some real concerns with the $200k cap . I know some second division clubs that have operated on budgets more than that in recent history.
That is not much coin to spread over 25 odd players.
I will have to try and find out what the SANFL and WAFL caps are but it seems a bit mickey mouse to me.
Like the overall concept and the fact the AFL can line up the draws to suit the AFL clubs when they play each other.

Huge cuts to salary caps across the board. Local clubs are all $100k then $80k and $60k down there divisions. $200k is a lot.

Huge cuts to salary caps across the board. Local clubs are all $100k then $80k and $60k down there divisions. $200k is a lot.

Williamstown and Werribee already cutting players . $200k may be a lot but it is half of what they where operating on. The SANFL is also cutting to $210k.
I think this will pretty much finish a lot of players chasing their AFL dream. With the previous cap players could afford to play VFL and train at a high level and work part time.
Too bad the AFLPA seems to think they only needs minimal cuts.........

Williamstown and Werribee already cutting players . $200k may be a lot but it is half of what they where operating on. The SANFL is also cutting to $210k.
I think this will pretty much finish a lot of players chasing their AFL dream. With the previous cap players could afford to play VFL and train at a high level and work part time.
Too bad the AFLPA seems to think they only needs minimal cuts.........
Yep Danger needs his 800k a year

The new U19s may help a bit there at least, particularly if they get to play in this league too, both as another opportunity for later-developers and as they presumably won't be soaking up cap.

The new U19s may help a bit there at least, particularly if they get to play in this league too, both as another opportunity for later-developers and as they presumably won't be soaking up cap.
That is the up side :)

Believe if the SANFL is fair dinkum they would get Port Melbourne and Williamstown into their competition - I'm unimpressed with a 16 game season as young developing players need more game time.

Talking to a young bloke the other day who was playing VFL at an aligned club in the hope he may get a look in. Not going around again as there is no money in it to be able to keep working 3 or 4 days a week and do the required training to keep him at VFL level. He is going back to club footy where he can make a couple hundred bucks a game work full time and start doing a bit of study. Good for local footy in a way but a nice kick in the balls for anyone aged over 21 who wants to chase the dream or even wants to continue playing at the second highest level.
Hope the cap eventually goes back up as this will be the death of the VFL if it rolls out for too long.
The best solution in the future will be having an AFL reserves comp(or even an East coast reserves comp) and a proper VFL comp that is AFL funded and aligned with the NAB league and possibly having a Sydney and Brisbane side outside the AFL clubs in it.

Talking to a young bloke the other day who was playing VFL at an aligned club in the hope he may get a look in. Not going around again as there is no money in it to be able to keep working 3 or 4 days a week and do the required training to keep him at VFL level. He is going back to club footy where he can make a couple hundred bucks a game work full time and start doing a bit of study. Good for local footy in a way but a nice kick in the balls for anyone aged over 21 who wants to chase the dream or even wants to continue playing at the second highest level.
Hope the cap eventually goes back up as this will be the death of the VFL if it rolls out for too long.
The best solution in the future will be having an AFL reserves comp(or even an East coast reserves comp) and a proper VFL comp that is AFL funded and aligned with the NAB league and possibly having a Sydney and Brisbane side outside the AFL clubs in it.
Couple hundred? If he played VFL last year he should be getting more than that a local level.

If not send him my way, I'll get him the cash ;)

I have a really bad feely the AFL is going to destroy the VFL. :(
One can only hope that post vaccination time someone can stand up and get the VFL back to a level where it is standing side by side with the WAFL and SANFL.
I will say it again.
AFL needs a reserves comp for the VIC , NSW and QLD sides.
VFL needs to be properly funded and aligned with the under 18 comp with the AFL putting in a serious effort in having teams from Ballarat , Bendigo and Shepperton / Wangaratta to align with the under 18 comp. Given Casey plays out of Cranbourne it can be the Gippsland alignment.
The VFL should be
Port Melbourne - Oakleigh Chargers
Williamstown - Western Jets
Werribee - Geelong Falcons
Frankston- Stingrays
Sandringham- Dragons
Box Hill - Ranges
Coburg - Calder Cannons
Northern - Knights
Casey - Gippsland
Ballarat - Rebels
Bendigo - Pioneers
Shepperton - Bushrangers
With proper funding the country sides can succeed and getting games on TV is a must.
You could also look at some sort of champions series where the GF teams from the VFL - SANFL - WAFL can play off in TV games.

The VIC - NSW - QLD reserves sides just need a decent comp to play in week in and week out that could include academy players and maybe a couple of players who have a dual role as top up players and development coaches.

Hopefully it aligns better than the WAFL, Freo were about to debut Treacy this weekend but he got rubbed out for a week in a WAFL practise game and now can’t play AFL until round 5!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back